Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful Tweet from "Comedy" Steve

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway Spielberg's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is on TV so I am out of here.

Stumpy Tim

Glad the binfest continued as it means people enjoyed themselves. Yes I said things that I shouldn't have, but that's what happens when someone is emotionally involved. So I apologise for those who took offence, but my opinion remains the same. CS's joke was completely wrong & the timing is awful. Of course he now claims it's a joke about the weather when it's not - it's a joke about a natural disaster. I just happen to have an insight into what's happening - my business is about sending & receiving warning messages out to people in disaster's & serious incidents so I've seen some of the comments from residents distressed. That's why I took such offence.

There is no hard & fast rule about when is a safe time to tell jokes about this. I guess that differs from person to person, but I assume it's about closure within each individual. Sitting on the other side of the world, floods in Brisbane probably means nothing to you right now. Coming back from a day at work watching messages coming in from individuals stranded on their roof means that I didn't (and don't) have closure on what's happening.

I wasn't the one who posted the joke publicly first by the way... CS did that on Twitter, & also posted a link to this thread on Twitter claiming we're comparing him to Frankie Boyle. Not something I've done as I have no idea who Frankie Boyle is.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm with Tim on this, this one is too close to the bone to be funny and he is quite entitled to spell that out whether you agree with that or not.

Shame no-one had the balls to politely say I don't agree with you Tim, but I can see its something that matters to you so I'll leave well enough alone.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I'm with Tim on this, this one is too close to the bone to be funny and he is quite entitled to spell that out whether you agree with that or not.

Shame no-one had the balls to politely say I don't agree with you Tim, but I can see its something that matters to you so I'll leave well enough alone.

If you can show me one example of anyone being hostile towards Tim before he posted this on the first page...

What a bunch of f***ing cocks there are on NSC. Unbelievable

...then I may agree with you.

Stumpy Tim

If you can show me one example of anyone being hostile towards Tim before he posted this on the first page...

...then I may agree with you.

As I say, apologies for that particular comment. Emotions were running high with me because of the day I had had dealing with things related to Queensland. I'm not going to try to defend that.

Lush

Mods' Pet

It's too close to the bone for SOME PEOPLE (in this case people with connections to Australia) to find it funny.

If you think jokes shouldn't be made because SOME PEOPLE might be offended, then we might as well not make any jokes at all.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's too close to the bone for SOME PEOPLE (in this case people with connections to Australia) to find it funny.

If you think jokes shouldn't be made because SOME PEOPLE might be offended, then we might as well not make any jokes at all.

Absolutely agreed. I wasn't stating that jokes shouldn't be made - Tim has as much right to express his opinion as CS has to tell his jokes...but more that people couldn't leave it alone even though they could see he was pretty worked up about it.

Stumpy Tim

In which case the comedian should expect those people to get pissed off back at him or her.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't the one who posted the joke publicly first by the way... CS did that on Twitter,

I don't follow comedy steve on twitter, but he claims he mentions in his biography on there the sort of (potentially offensive) jokes he makes. Most people who see that comment will be followers/regular visitors to his twitter page, and so should be aware.

Your title on this thread did not make it clear why you thought his tweet was shameful, it is a mysterious thread title that lures people in and then hits them unexpectedly with a potentially offensive joke.

At least an argument can be made that Steve kept the joke where one would/should expect it, you did not.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Shameful tweet from him, given 12 are dead and figure expected to top 100 - more than 7/7

"Australia! Stretch your rain out over a year like Britain does, instead of having it all in 3 days, which might backfire."

Yeah nice one mate. I have friends up there who have lost their homes, friends elderly relatives who they can't contact as all Comms are down, and colleagues who can't get food or clean water.

Very classy fella

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stumpy Tim

Think I'll leave it there. I've had conversations with Steve before & always found him to be decent guy. I'm sure he is. I think he got this wrong though. Some agree with me, more don't. C'est la vie.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
It seems to me that this has run its course, sleep and a different continent seem to be the main difference.

Humour is and always will be subjective - and this has been a rubbish binfest.

Personally, it was never personal or vindictive. A nasty or cheap comic (which Comedy Steve isn't) could easily
posted jokes about numbers dead, or cricketing averages etc... I honestly think this was a storm in a tea cup - no pun intended

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here