Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexist Pig

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My problem with her is this: when interviewed on 5Live she said that AFTER having received his message she then looked at his profile and suddenly realised he was a senior legal figure in a big firm.

So why the hell was she seeking to use LinkedIn to connect with him without actually being aware of his position?

Having made contact he made an error of judgement in his reply, but she is being naïve if she doesn't realise that most men in their late 50s will be flattered to receive a connection request from an attractive woman in their 20s.

I believe she then over-reacted, not by her reply to him (which is reasonable, albeit harsh) but by going public with it on Twitter. You have to feel particularly sorry for the man's family and business colleagues at this time.

As for her career prospects, what employer would want to hire this woman? She sounds like a complete nutcase with poor judgement

The 20 years has seen PC completely go mad on this country, guess it breaks up the news

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes in part I agree with you and I would consider myself to be extremely PC on such matters; however, in this instance, I cant help but think that the woman in question has brought this up with a hidden agenda - I could of course be wrong and she could well genuinely have been offended by it and if she is then I would withdraw my cynicism on the matter.

What I don't like is when people scream for help in such circumstances when help is not required. The ''liittle boy who cried wolf'' syndrom. When it happens for no reason then real genuine cases of sexism get overlooked when people use the system purely for their own ends and not for the general well being of all women.

What she has probably done is potentially three fold.

1. She has probably shot down the reputation of a colleague who could well have been a competitor for future promotion, hence personally gaining from her actions
2. She has said ''look at me look how good or professional I look and even others notice it'' and brought it to the attention of everyone.
3. Look how well I Champion the rights of women.

I could well well have misjudged the woman's agenda but the above facts are undisputable
she is a barrister and he is a solicitor , how can they possibly be in contention for promotion , do you understand how the legal system works ??

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I really don't want to be an adversary. I just find your views akin to that of an unrealistic and poorly educated child.[

And I think you're a bit of a prick. That's life I suppose. Anything to add to the thread or just doing some highly educated shit stirring? See ya.
So that public school education which you stated enabled you to ''debate without resorting to insults'' didnt work too well then ??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't have time to read this whole thread but there were lots of sensible comments at the start. For example, 'context is everything'.

My take is this. First, clearly this was not an obvious and overt act of egregious offensiveness ("I'd like to show you my etchings" etc.). If it were there would not be umpteen pages about it on here. However, an 'acceptable' comment is acceptable only if the recipient finds it acceptable. If this bloke were being 'innocent' he is either a bit gauche or he was unlucky (yes we all know, or may even be, women who shrug such comments off with a smile, but others don't - their choice).

But that's all there is to it really, surely?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't have time to read this whole thread but there were lots of sensible comments at the start. For example, 'context is everything'.

My take is this. First, clearly this was not an obvious and overt act of egregious offensiveness ("I'd like to show you my etchings" etc.). If it were there would not be umpteen pages about it on here. However, an 'acceptable' comment is acceptable only if the recipient finds it acceptable. If this bloke were being 'innocent' he is either a bit gauche or he was unlucky (yes we all know, or may even be, women who shrug such comments off with a smile, but others don't - their choice).

But that's all there is to it really, surely?

Yep.

Silly old sod chances his arm, and rightly gets shot down.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Yes maybe you're right, the context is what gives the sexism though. The fact that he's a more experienced barrister and trying his luck with younger ones on a site designed for business doesn't really look very good on him. Either way, it's creepy .

yeah, it's a bit creepy but who cares? (stick with me here, i don't think i'm being quite as dismissive as that first statement sounds.)

bloke says he fancies a woman in an inappropriate forum for such comments. who cares? well, she does and she handled the situation by responding to him and, according to him, eliciting a sincere apology. end of story, right? well, no because there are 20 pages of conversation about it here and god knows how many gigabytes of forum posts on this subject elsewhere on the net. all because a man made an inappropriate comment to a woman. it's ridiculous. she got upset (as is her right) and let the culprit know about it (as is her right) but to try and turn this into a "feminist issue" does absolutely nothing to further the cause of gender equality.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It was a compliment....Looking at picture probably unwarranted...She should be honoured(thats what they say to judiciary) your honour

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...but to try and turn this into a "feminist issue" does absolutely nothing to further the cause of gender equality.

I listened to her interview on 5live this morning. She expressed the view that the comments were an act of violence upon women, which immediately felt to me as the point at which she lost half her sympathisers. Peter Allen certainly sounded incredulous at the suggestion.

Inappropriate, yes. Sexist, probably yes. Violent? Not really, no.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I know that there are about 4 users on here that deliberately trawl threads looking for my posts

obviously its not possible people are just reading a thread and come across more of your drivel (18000 posts) ……no, they must be deliberately hunting you out(not a particularly difficult task).

Full of your own self importance much?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here