Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexist Pig

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
C listed celeb in the making, trivia like this sells papers..

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
This thread is waaaay too long to read. Has anyone pointed out that, inappropriate forum notwithstanding, finding someone attractive and complimenting them on it doesn't make you a sexist pig? Do we really all have to aspire to living to Jessica Valenti's world?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
She's clearly intelligent and knew she would risk a backlash so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and saying I reckon she cares about what he did and I think he deserves it for being a sexist knob.

You're obviously a decent person who would prefer to see the best in people and champion the underdog. Nothing wrong in that, but this issue has arisen between a solicitor and a barrister who, to put it bluntly are both prepared to "bend the truth" for a living as long as the money is right. Their professional lives are all about confrontation, face to face, so they should have sorted it out that way. Barristers don't go to court and tweet that someone has said something to upset them. It's worth remembering that many cabinet Ministers and prominent politicians are Barristers by profession, perfect when you need to be evasive and economical with the truth.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
She's clearly intelligent and knew she would risk a backlash so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and saying I reckon she cares about what he did and I think he deserves it for being a sexist knob.

How is he being a "sexist nob" by commenting on the looks of another human being? Women do it to men all the time. It's called being human mate! Like I said before it's a professionalism issue if anything, not a sexist one!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You're obviously a decent person who would prefer to see the best in people and champion the underdog. Nothing wrong in that, but this issue has arisen between a solicitor and a barrister who, to put it bluntly are both prepared to "bend the truth" for a living as long as the money is right. Their professional lives are all about confrontation, face to face, so they should have sorted it out that way. Barristers don't go to court and tweet that someone has said something to upset them. It's worth remembering that many cabinet Ministers and prominent politicians are Barristers by profession, perfect when you need to be evasive and economical with the truth.

That's true.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
How is he being a "sexist nob" by commenting on the looks of another human being? Women do it to men all the time. It's called being human mate! Like I said before it's a professionalism issue if anything, not a sexist one!

A compliment from a friend or someone is a social situation is cool, someone responding to a woman's professional request on a professional website by PMing her and typing what he did is absolutely not acceptable.

If he had used those exact words to a woman met never met in the workplace he'd be in serious trouble.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
A compliment from a friend or someone is a social situation is cool, someone responding to a woman's professional request on a professional website by PMing her and typing what he did is absolutely not acceptable.

If he had used those exact words to a woman bed never met in the workplace he'd be in serious trouble.

Would you still class it as sexist if the exact situation was reversed?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Feminism is basically a religion, is it time we banned them both?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He obvs thought he was in with a chance, you never know if you don't ask..

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
When do you ever hear of sexist accusations against females (from males) though? It's very rare... I certainly know sexism occures in the workplace but this situation could apply to either sex and really doesn't come under the catorgory of being sexist.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
FWIW I think if you are a good Barrister you would not need a picture or linkedin, I have have only ever needed One Barrister in my life, nice lady bloody good at her job and would never have had time to put a picture on any site.

That's not quite true, there are many trying for the bar that are recently qualified, some of them would have been good but will never get the chance. It is an intensely competitive field. Often it's not what you know, but who you know, they are, after all, usually self employed.
I would agree with you though that a successful barrister would probably have little use of a site like this.

As for your comment about your barristers free time, i don't believe for a moment that you know her well enough to give that comment credibility. But i can see your point, even though you've put it in a very strange way. In your opinion networking is of no use to successful people, at least i assume that's the point you're making...

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
This thread is waaaay too long to read. Has anyone pointed out that, inappropriate forum notwithstanding, finding someone attractive and complimenting them on it doesn't make you a sexist pig? Do we really all have to aspire to living to Jessica Valenti's world?

Context i guess. Although personally it does seem a little harsh on him. Sexist, yes, pig, i dunno...

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
When do you ever hear of sexist accusations against females (from males) though? It's very rare... I certainly know sexism occures in the workplace but this situation could apply to either sex and really doesn't come under the catorgory of being sexist.

If Cherie Blair messaged me that my Linkedin profile pic was the best she'd ever seen, I would SCREAM for a policeman.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove

You can try, but it's not allowed.

Different standards apply.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Lets face it, it was a massive fishing trip by him and he works in law so he's given himself enough ambiguity just in case.

What would happen if she said she didn't mind his compliment and felt very flattered by his observation; do you think he would smile to himself and leave it at that?

Sounds like he was fishing to me, i'd expect a few awkward moments back at the ranch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's also disappointing is that the guy is clearly lying about complementing her on the quality of the photograph and not how attractive she is. Had he had the balls to admit he was complementing her on her looks he'd be in a better place now.

Get them both on HIGNFY - the viewing figures would go through the roof.

A stony silence over dinner tonight in the Carter-Silk household, methinks...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here