Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious irregularities at the club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What serious irregularities are possible for the Albion directors these days?

Envelopes a la Chesterfield?

Pocketing gate/season ticket money

I'm struggling to think of any more

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know of anything wrong.

I'm saying that the people who used to represent the fans, now represent the club.

Many won't have a bad word said against the manager, let alone the chairman or the way the club is being run.

It's unhealthy.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't doubt for a second if they did know of anything which was dodgy they would let everyone know.

I think the point is would they even be LOOKING for stuff these days considering many won't hear a bad word against the club.

If they honestly believe everything is rosey etc they are hardly likely to go DIGGING for stuff.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
However, these are people with a genuine love of the Albion in their blood. 'Inner circle' they may be, but if something wre SERIOUSLY wrong, I'd have absolute faith in them standing up and doing the right thing.
Really? What if the club had the best of intentions but went about it the wrong way.

Let's say they decided to finance the new stadium in a manner that wasn't cost effective and/or put the project at risk? Would you *really* trust this inner circle to expose it to the wider Albion fan base? I wouldn't. Not any more. Especially seeing as how they're so one-eyed over something as trivial as managerial appointment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
from the verb "network"

What exactly does that mean?

OK, OK - I used a noun as a verb. Apologies.

The form is that the Friends of the Albion pay five quid, have a slap up breakfast on tables of 8 or 10, then stand up and talk about your business for 30 seconds or so. After a while, they got very popular, and only newbies would do this. They're attended by about 70-80 people.

Once Martin Perry moved into his new offices, he, Derek Chapman, Richard Hebberd etc came along as well (maybe they still do), and anyone can talk to them about what's going on.

The FotA are people who regularly put in four figure sums through their business to the club, as well as doing business with them. They have the opportunity to scrutinise the club at their own leisure at these things.

It's not only the 'inner circle' who talk to the club, and the FotA need to be far more meticulous with how the club is run.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really? What if the club had the best of intentions but went about it the wrong way.

Let's say they decided to finance the new stadium in a manner that wasn't cost effective and/or put the project at risk? Would you *really* trust this inner circle to expose it to the wider Albion fan base? I wouldn't. Not any more. Especially seeing as how they're so one-eyed over something as trivial as managerial appointment.

After everything people like Samrah have done over so many years, to fight for Falmer, you really think they'd sit on it if they thought something was being done to jeapordise it now?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
After everything people like Samrah have done over so many years, to fight for Falmer, you really think they'd sit on it if they thought something was being done to jeapordise it now?

I'm not talking about Paul or any specific individual, but if you get close to someone, it clouds your judgement. That's a fact.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
That's what the fanzine is here for, in a way we were a bit 'suspect' of the structure of the club, it all got a bit arse lickey and maybe some objectivity was lost - this was a major reason for starting the mag, but we are NOT circling vultures looking to make trouble or wind the club up.

it's very good though - if ultimately flawed - that the fans feel the club is a 'public service', and such needs some sort of 'watch dog' body looking over it. in truth it's very far from a public service and we're not going to get Dick Knight apologising ala Mark Thompson on behalf of Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand.

We do snoop around when possible, but, as I think TLO will agree, there are only 'minor' or 'superficial' aspects at which we can pick at, not large scale conspiracies that need airing.

while the ground is being built, we can't really complain, relegation would be horrific but what part does a fanzine have to play in football based witch hunt, we can't influence what happens on the pitch. we'll leave that to the armchair pundits on NSC.

i do think though that when somebody gets involved with a football club, at whatever level, especially if it's their favourite club, they do presume (rightly i suppose) a position of power over their once contemporaries (you and i), as such ego's build and a demi-masonic level of secrecy is evident.

but as i said, we are the fanzine so if anybody wants anything raised or investigated let us know - tslr@hotmail.co.uk

cheers,
sam.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We have become a suspicious bunch since the goings on during the Stanley/Archer reign and who can blame us. We ask more questions than other fans because of this. It makes us sound disloyal at times and even ungrateful towards Knight and others who have done so much for this club but thats the way it has to be now because it changed Brighton fans.

What irregularities ? Who told you ? Ring the Argus.

No one close who found out anything would go quiet.

Anyway can anyone imagine Ian Hart keeping quiet on any matter for even 5 minutes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why does it have to be the same people who would do the digging. There are plenty of independantly minded supporters of the club who keep an eye on the club. I don't understand the point being made.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Why does it have to be the same people who would do the digging. There are plenty of independantly minded supporters of the club who keep an eye on the club. I don't understand the point being made.

Sums it up very well, if you think there's a problem take action yourself.

BTW, Thread title is mis-leading

I'm not talking about Paul or any specific individual, but if you get close to someone, it clouds your judgement. That's a fact.

No its is not a fact - it is merely your OPINION

so could we please seperate knowledege from unfounded speculation

and short of publishing minutes of the board meetings on the website (which is pretty unlikely), the accounts are published. The board is much more open to dialogue, and therefore, criticism from the fans than has been the case in the past.

and as been said before - I don't think that anyone who was unhappy at the way the club was being run would be backward in coming foward.

But that's merely MY OPINION.

and that's a FACT

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
OK, OK - I used a noun as a verb. Apologies.

The form is that the Friends of the Albion pay five quid, have a slap up breakfast on tables of 8 or 10, then stand up and talk about your business for 30 seconds or so. After a while, they got very popular, and only newbies would do this. They're attended by about 70-80 people.

Once Martin Perry moved into his new offices, he, Derek Chapman, Richard Hebberd etc came along as well (maybe they still do), and anyone can talk to them about what's going on.

The FotA are people who regularly put in four figure sums through their business to the club, as well as doing business with them. They have the opportunity to scrutinise the club at their own leisure at these things.

It's not only the 'inner circle' who talk to the club, and the FotA need to be far more meticulous with how the club is run.

Given our conversation the other day, I'm surprised you're rising to any of this.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I know what you're getting at Wozza but I think the circumstances now are very different to what they were. The supporter/club relationship at the very extreme end does have negatives as well as positives but I like to think that the people at that extreme end maintain a certain level of sceptisism.

What's more concerning isn't necessarily the threat of any wrong-doing being missed by those too close to see it, it's the pushing of the party line where it prevents individual views from carrying the weight they deserve.

All I can hope is that those who have most interaction with the club keep an open-mind on everything they see, not only in relation to our club, but with regard to the experience of other clubs as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here