Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious disturbance in Enfield right now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I don't understand is if police marksmen are highly trained, highly accurate with a wealth of technology at their disposal, why do they have to kill people. Surely a Tazer or some other kind of non fatal weapon could be used. Why does the shot have to be fatal?

for a start, it doesnt have to be fatal and often wont be. you want to shot someon in the arm/leg then have them shot back, or shot someone nearby? you shot to stop, to incapacitate, which means aiming for the chest for maximum effect of impact. otherwise you'd go for head shots. tasers are only any good for short range and can be potentially fatal.

Allegedly...

What I don't understand is if police marksmen are highly trained, highly accurate with a wealth of technology at their disposal, why do they have to kill people. Surely a Tazer or some other kind of non fatal weapon could be used. Why does the shot have to be fatal?

There was a story over here of a frightened kid who pulled a knife while surrounded by police, they shot him dead. Surely there was another option?

Don't carry a gun or knife. Anyway, the policeman was cleared of shooting the frightened child you speak of as Dingo prints were found on the gun

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Its going to kick off everywhere. Nothing to do with politics or that guy getting whacked by plod. Just a good excuse to join in and rob.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Allegedly...

There was a story over here of a frightened kid who pulled a knife while surrounded by police, they shot him dead. Surely there was another option?

Because a taser is a short range weapon, only capable of deployment within 21 feet of the subject. The subject also has to be pretty much fully in view because both probes have to engage with them to work properly, so if only one connects because they're half hidden behind a wall or a car, it won't discharge. And it's no use from behind (say) a glass window.

The Americans use longer range taser rifles I believe (seem to recall one on trial being used in the Raoul Moat case?) but they're not approved here at the moment for whatever reason.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Tottenham is between 55% and 60% white according to the last census. Just FYI, like. That includes those who class themselves as white British, white Irish and white "other" in the returns, I seem to recall about 9% were of white European (ie non British/Irish backgrounds).

10 years ago maybe...?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
10 years ago maybe...?

No idea, haven't been there for years, I just pulled the figures from the last census :shrug:

Trying to find them again now...stand by...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wonder what the sentences will be when the dust settles ?

[yt]RWE9Jv3P2iA[/yt]

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Because a taser is a short range weapon, only capable of deployment within 21 feet of the subject. The subject also has to be pretty much fully in view because both probes have to engage with them to work properly, so if only one connects because they're half hidden behind a wall or a car, it won't discharge. And it's no use from behind (say) a glass window.

The Americans use longer range taser rifles I believe (seem to recall one on trial being used in the Raoul Moat case?) but they're not approved here at the moment for whatever reason.

Can't we cannon protected small people holding tasers through windows to debilitate the armed?

I lived in Tottenham for a couple of years and it was a scary place. Obviously i am in no position to speak of the justice of an event i didn't attend, so i'll remain quiet on the shooting. It's a shame that in such events, though, that the greedy taint the message meant to be said with passion and belief. And that the media feed off of shattered police windows and magnify miniscule notions of social disorder more than the hardship that can sometimes provoke such stereotypically discivil action.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Here you go.

This applies to the borough of Haringey, not just Tottenham, by the way. Not sure if that makes a lot of difference as Haringey isn't exactly a rich area is it?

Population (2008 est.)
- Total 226,200
- Rank 60th (of 326)
- Density 19,799.1/sq mi (7,644.5/km2)

- Ethnicity[1]
47.6% White British
3.6% White Irish
14.1% Other White
1.4% White & Black Caribbean
0.8% White & Black African
1.2% White & Asian
1.3% Other Mixed