Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Segregation - away fans

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
As the majority of away fans will be travelling via London ,with the exception of our friends to the west, surely a fast train back to Haywards Heath via Lewes would be a solution.
Obviously Albion fans travelling to Lewes , Eastbourne etc would have to be considered. Just a thought.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The spurs game will be a huge test, if as I expect, there will be trouble around the ground

I was imagining only a handful of Spurs fans showing up. Lower league team, friendly, just a run out for 22 if their squad, no importance ... dunno, did Chelsea turn up at Pompey yesterday?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
How many seats are lost to split the away section up if an away team does not sell the full allocation-?

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Been to Millwall for most of the recent games and not experienced any problems.

Being an away fan at Leeds and West Ham can be unpleasant afterwards - but more threatening than actual.

Did not experience any away agression at any ground last year - travelling to most games by train.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was imagining only a handful of Spurs fans showing up. Lower league team, friendly, just a run out for 22 if their squad, no importance ... dunno, did Chelsea turn up at Pompey yesterday?

Don't know about chelsea at pompey but I do know spurs will or have sold out their allocation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For high security games, won't the police just hold away fans in the ground until the number of home fans has dwindled to a manageable level?

Given the Albion are encouraging us to stay at the ground post match they could be waiting some time.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The spurs game will be a huge test, if as I expect, there will be trouble around the ground,

I would be AMAZED if there was any trouble at this game. Spurs STHs need more points for this game than their annual trip to Anfield. These are their top 1,200 supporters. They are not going to risk their membership for a tear up at a friendly.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I would be AMAZED if there was any trouble at this game. Spurs STHs need more points for this game than their annual trip to Anfield. These are their top 1,200 supporters. They are not going to risk their membership for a tear up at a friendly.

They had a tear up at a friendly last season....where was that again???? .....

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
They had a tear up at a friendly last season....where was that again???? .....

Ah, I follow now. Possibly fans not going to the game?

Originally Posted by trueblue
For high security games, won't the police just hold away fans in the ground until the number of home fans has dwindled to a manageable level?

Retention in the ground is no longer allowed under Eurpoean Human Rights legislatio and classed as unlawful detention ??

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Being an away fan at Leeds and West Ham can be unpleasant afterwards - but more threatening than actual.

Did not experience any away agression at any ground last year - travelling to most games by train.

My last 4 trips to Elland Road have been ok , some banter with the Leeds fans when we're all waiting for the buses going back into the city centre is all I can remember , no problems at other away games for several seasons either. If you're looking for a tear up you'll know where to look for it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't you think it's a bit offensive to treat all supporters like idiots anyway? I was under the impression that one of the things with the new place is that it was supposed to mark a bit of a move towards treating people in a civilised manner in the hope they will respond accordingly. Hence I can't see blanket restrictions, keeping people in the ground, segregation etc.

Not ALL Palace fans are twats. Not ALL Millwall fans, or Pompey, Leeds, Forest, Leicester fans are twats. 95% are perfectly civilised, decent people who want to watch their teams and follow them all over the country. They go to games home and away like the rest of us do, they don't act like idiots, and they don't require frog-marching from station to ground. The ones who are known to have previous for acting up will no doubt be treated accordingly. And leave the rest of us to go about our normal business.

I've been to countless away games where I've walked all around the ground, in amongst home supporters, with no hint of grief whatsoever. In the lower leagues and the Championship. This season will be no different. Some people seem to be talking this up way too much. Wishful thinking?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO the single most serious pinchpoint indeed (note I never said flashpoint) is going to be the platforms at Falmer after the game. Fans with connections to catch to, say, Leeds, are not going to meekly join a queue and miss those connections. Make no mistake, these are NARROW platforms. It just about worked on Saturday because everybody followed instructions given on the platform and everybody was compliant and wanted to make it work. But in other circumstances it wouldn't take very much at all for somebody to end up on the track. Maybe the solution is to send all home fans to Brighton and all away fans to Lewes, or BUS all the away fans into Brighton, but its really REALLY hard to see how a satisfactory compromise will be reached.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I started this thread because as far as I know we've heard nothing about where the away fans will park, park and ride or if they will be encouraged to follow a particular rail route. Some of us might want to avoid them.

yes the majority of fans are well behaved and would never get involved in any trouble however we have to accept that there is a small minority at a number of Championship clubs that can create an intimidating atmosphere or indeed trouble. Ok we are all ultra excited by Falmer and many will be happily skipping round the stadium, holding hands and smiling at everyone at 1pm on 6th August, but not everyone sets out to cause trouble and the combination of alcohol, defeat and the close proximity of home fans goading you can sometimes be enough to create a flash point (or pinch point)

Withdean is no comparison, most games were against smaller clubs with their small fan base not bothering to travel. This is different and a trip to Brighton will be a novelty and for a number of games not too far to travel.

Surely it's better to have some arrangements in place rather than relying on the away fans being in the happy clappy brigade.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
There was even police next to me on the gantry yesterday filming towards the south stand, and some of the west stand. Its come to a point where any trouble will be caught on film, and this is the best evidence the police can have.
what a joke , nothing better to do , SSC final :facepalm:

Jan 30, 2008

were you wearing an Albion shirt though ?

Jan 30, 2008
Originally Posted by trueblue

Retention in the ground is no longer allowed under Eurpoean Human Rights legislatio and classed as unlawful detention ??
a bit like not letting you leave a pub then ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here