Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Segregation - away fans

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
not seen this mentioned. Obviously there's segregation in the stadium but what's happening outside? will away fans have their own park n ride? and what's Brighton station going to be like at 2.30pm on a home match Saturday? will there be a town centre pub for away fans?

Jan 30, 2008
not seen this mentioned. Obviously there's segregation in the stadium but what's happening outside? Will away fans have their own park n ride? And what's brighton station going to be like at 2.30pm on a home match saturday? Will there be a town centre pub for away fans?
very interesting :whistle:

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Will be interesting when millwall come by train. I've allready had 2 work colleagues which are millwall recon they are going to come by train to smash up are lovely new home. pricks. :tosser:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No segregation outside - exactly like it's been at Withdean, the Priestfield, the Goldstone and just about every away game I've been to for twenty-odd years.

at Millwall there's a cage and walkway for away fans at the station, most clubs have a dedicated pub for away fans (eg Notts County last season), Cardiff had a car park for away fans, Palace keep away fans in the ground after the match, at the Goldstone away fans were marched to the station......Withdean and Gillingham weren't typical championship grounds for us. The circumstances are different from the grounds you've visited in the past 20 years - most fans going in the same direction before and after the match is unusual. Only asking and 22.5k fans in the Championship is a bit different from 6k at Withdean and 2k at Gham.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Millwall will probably be marched from both Falmer and Brighton stations to the ground and back again.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For high security games, won't the police just hold away fans in the ground until the number of home fans has dwindled to a manageable level?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally posted by timbha

Segregation - away fans
not seen this mentioned. Obviously there's segregation in the stadium but what's happening outside? will away fans have their own park n ride? and what's Brighton station going to be like at 2.30pm on a home match Saturday? will there be a town centre pub for away fans?

I personally think that you have started a very interesting thread here because 'we' are perhaps a little bit naive to assume that some of the rougher element, which we will now certainly encounter in the Championship, will just be here for the football, some may be visiting for a bit of 'entertainment' also.

Not at all interested in confrontation and I do seriously hope that the club in conjunction with the Sussex constabulary are fully aware of the sort of thing which we may experience for the first time in several years. I will be travelling to the Amex by coach so I hope that I, and many others similar, will not be threatened by visiting idiots without them, at least, having to think about a heavy stewarding/police presence.

As an aside, I hope that for certain matches that there will also be a substantial security operation inside the South concourse to protect our nice shiny new stadium.

Presumably, any damage can be charged to a visiting club !

at Millwall there's a cage and walkway for away fans at the station, most clubs have a dedicated pub for away fans (eg Notts County last season), Cardiff had a car park for away fans, Palace keep away fans in the ground after the match, at the Goldstone away fans were marched to the station......Withdean and Gillingham weren't typical championship grounds for us. The circumstances are different from the grounds you've visited in the past 20 years - most fans going in the same direction before and after the match is unusual. Only asking and 22.5k fans in the Championship is a bit different from 6k at Withdean and 2k at Gham.
There's always a good mix of Millwall and away fans on the trains, though. And I sometimes walk to Millwall from Canada Water station, across Southwark Park and down Silwood Street, for old times sake - my grandparents lived in Lower Road. No sign of trouble doing that.

Notts County last season - no-one told us that we had a segregated pub, not even the County AND Forest fans in the pubs we visited.

I've not been to Cardiff City for years, so won't comment. If I do go, I'll probably meet up with my sister-in-law's brother (who used to play for them) and go in the home end.

Palace post-match is irritating, but, again, I've always seemed to miss trouble pre-match - walking from any of the stations. The only trouble I've seen seems to arise from the post-match segregation.

Maybe it's just me?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting you mention the segragation inside the stadium, I was under the impression that the concourses into the away end would be open at the end of the game. In fact during the game you could walk from the West Stand Lower into the South Stand. I did and was not stopped at all. I assume it won't be like this when Palace or Millwall etc come to town.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think the OP was concerned about the situation of Home and Away coaches being located in precisely the same area of the stadium environment which is where I picked up on it from and where I see a problem, though only at certain matches.

Hopefully, FFS, there is no way that access from South to West or South to East will be open on certain matches, or indeed within parts of the East stand on FA cup occasions where the full 15% alllocation will be taken up by the visiting club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anybody would think we haven't played Millwall for decades. The last time we played them we travelled to Withdean on the bus with loads of them and walked back towards Brighton with many more. We don't have a problem with Millwall down here.

I think the OP was concerned about the situation of Home and Away coaches being located in precisely the same area of the stadium environment which is where I picked up on it from and where I see a problem, though only at certain matches.

Hopefully, FFS, there is no way that access from South to West or South to East will be open on certain matches, or indeed within parts of the East stand on FA cup occasions where the full 15% alllocation will be taken up by the visiting club.
That's bound to be the case.

Sadly so, in my opinion. One of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced was at a Champions League game between Porto and Fenerbahçe. The visitors had their own area for sitting in, but the main indoor concourse was unsegregated, with Fenerbahçe supporters freely mixing with the home fans. No trouble at all.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
we can practice this when the spurs lot come to town, however when they go by train, they normally use cattle wagons, and the trainline goes right to the door. Shortly after they are sent to the correct area, before being let in.....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There's always a good mix of Millwall and away fans on the trains, though. And I sometimes walk to Millwall from Canada Water station, across Southwark Park and down Silwood Street, for old times sake - my grandparents lived in Lower Road. No sign of trouble doing that.

Notts County last season - no-one told us that we had a segregated pub, not even the County AND Forest fans in the pubs we visited.

I've not been to Cardiff City for years, so won't comment. If I do go, I'll probably meet up with my sister-in-law's brother (who used to play for them) and go in the home end.

Palace post-match is irritating, but, again, I've always seemed to miss trouble pre-match - walking from any of the stations. The only trouble I've seen seems to arise from the post-match segregation.

Maybe it's just me?

no offence but you are an old man (couldnt think of better way to put it) , you are not fair game really and as such are as safe as a child or women

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here