Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Security at Wembley last night .... Non existent

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This has probably been covered earlier on in the thread but, for me, some of the blame has to lie with the kick off time and date and what has happened over the last 16 or 17 months.

Firstly - Sunday 8pm kick off. This is the time I normally have my weekend "dad doze" after a roast and a glass or two of wine. It's a time when families with children are normally getting them ready for school on Monday. Have you got your uniform? Pack your bag! I watched with a mate and his family and neither of us were as "up for it" as we should have been,

The one sure way to get around that is to go out all day with the lads and start drinking early. After all, you've got the time. And what keeps you going when you've cracked on that early? Marching powder. I'm not surprised that the element of lads there without their kids were pissed and coked off their faces. No one really should be.

It also allowed all day to arrive, build up in Wembley Way, mob up and try your luck. A 2pm Saturday kick off would still have been shown prime time across most of Europe (there were places in the east of our continent where kick off would have been 10 or 11pm) and cut down significantly on the before game idiocy. And people who are less pissed and drugged up tend not to be so "brave". Afterwards may have been a problem of course but at least the large crowd would have dispersed all over London and those inside would have mainly had tickets and a covid cert.

No kick off time would have solved it all however. People have been locked up, confined to barracks and bored out of their skulls. Here was the first real chance to unwind a bit. You're surprised that many people went OTT? I'm surprised it wasn't more. 19th July has the potential for more carnage but at least it won't be all in one place and it'll be on a Monday after work. And there was the total failure of the government to confirm the capacity till too late, not allowing staffing up.

That said, whoever was in charge of security should lose their job if they haven't already.
I do think that's a little lame.

You can't convince me anything would have been any different in a non-pandemic England.
As much as we don't like it, this is England and it's not an England that has changed much over X years.

Do you seriously believe in 18 months if England were in the W/C final, halfway round the planet, kicking off at 2pm in mid December, anything will be any different?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

You can't convince me anything would have been any different in a non-pandemic England.
As much as we don't like it, this is England and it's not an England that has changed much over X years.

Do you seriously believe in 18 months if England were in the W/C final, halfway round the planet, kicking off at 2pm in mid December, anything will be any different?
I work with a guy who lived and worked in Qatar for 8 years. If England fans try to act like that he explained that they will have a big surprise when the military wade in as opposed to police with their hands tied by regulations or powerless stewards on minimum wage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I work with a guy who lived and worked in Qatar for 8 years. If England fans try to act like that he explained that they will have a big surprise when the military wade in as opposed to police with their hands tied by regulations or powerless stewards on minimum wage.

Sure sorry I wasn't clear.

I was referring to the filth, carnage, bottle throwing in the London squares, not over in Qatar, where our big brave cowards wouldn't dare tread, for fear of being caught.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I do think (and I know I'll get flamed for this) as well as a country we really need to look at our drinking culture. Don't get me wrong I like a drink, but why the need to go so overboard to the point where you're acting like this. I saw plenty in the stadium who had had so much to drink they just sat in their seat barely able to follow the match. What's the point?

If the sole aim of the day was to get smashed, then just do it at home. Save yourself some money and everyone else the grief you cause!

Drink and non existent parenting.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton

Which is all well and good, until the likes of myself get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and get battered by the local militia despite having done nothing wrong. Granted it's usually fairly easy to predict when things are about to turn nasty and make yourself scarce, but you get the gist. These idiots are putting more than just themselves at risk by giving us all a bad name (or, perhaps more accurately, maintaining our 'reputation'). I'm open minded about going to Qatar, but I'm already worried about what a mess it could be in Germany, 2024.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes. Yes I do. Try and get booze and charley in Qatar.

In a non pandemic England it would have been less issue in the ground because that would have sold out for every game. Thus far fewer people would have tried sneaking in and if they didn't do it the first time the would not have been encouraged to try again for the next game.

It's not lame at all. Less drinking time = less idiocy. It's just a fact borne out over and over again by the lunchtime kickoffs in our domestic game. Cabin fever = more idiocy - see also raves and last summer on Hove Lawns.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This has probably been covered earlier on in the thread but, for me, some of the blame has to lie with the kick off time and date and what has happened over the last 16 or 17 months.

Firstly - Sunday 8pm kick off. This is the time I normally have my weekend "dad doze" after a roast and a glass or two of wine. It's a time when families with children are normally getting them ready for school on Monday. Have you got your uniform? Pack your bag! I watched with a mate and his family and neither of us were as "up for it" as we should have been,

The one sure way to get around that is to go out all day with the lads and start drinking early. After all, you've got the time. And what keeps you going when you've cracked on that early? Marching powder. I'm not surprised that the element of lads there without their kids were pissed and coked off their faces. No one really should be.

It also allowed all day to arrive, build up in Wembley Way, mob up and try your luck. A 2pm Saturday kick off would still have been shown prime time across most of Europe (there were places in the east of our continent where kick off would have been 10 or 11pm) and cut down significantly on the before game idiocy. And people who are less pissed and drugged up tend not to be so "brave". Afterwards may have been a problem of course but at least the large crowd would have dispersed all over London and those inside would have mainly had tickets and a covid cert.

No kick off time would have solved it all however. People have been locked up, confined to barracks and bored out of their skulls. Here was the first real chance to unwind a bit. You're surprised that many people went OTT? I'm surprised it wasn't more. 19th July has the potential for more carnage but at least it won't be all in one place and it'll be on a Monday after work. And there was the total failure of the government to confirm the capacity till too late, not allowing staffing up.

That said, whoever was in charge of security should lose their job if they haven't already.

Sorry but that's simply bullshit.

At the end of the day, you wouldn't have seen any of these scenes in another country under the same circumstances, including covid and being 'locked up' etc. Perhaps a few idiots, but nothing like the absolute carnage across London and at Wembley. Therefore there aren't any excuses for what happened.

These morons still represent a small minority of English people, but they all came out of the woodwork and shamed the nation in spectacular fashion once again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. Yes I do. Try and get booze and charley in Qatar.

In a non pandemic England it would have been less issue in the ground because that would have sold out for every game. Thus far fewer people would have tried sneaking in and if they didn't do it the first time the would not have been encouraged to try again for the next game.

It's not lame at all. Less drinking time = less idiocy. It's just a fact borne out over and over again by the lunchtime kickoffs in our domestic game. Cabin fever = more idiocy - see also raves and last summer on Hove Lawns.

As said I wasn't clear, I was talking about over here, with England in the final over there.

Hopefully we'll find out who's right and hopefully it'll be you.
As I still think an 8am kick off here would sadly lead to more of the same.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I wouldn't bet against those giving the scumbags a hiding get prosecuted and NONE of those who forced their way into the ground will be protected.

Sound familiar .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do think (and I know I'll get flamed for this) as well as a country we really need to look at our drinking culture. Don't get me wrong I like a drink, but why the need to go so overboard to the point where you're acting like this. I saw plenty in the stadium who had had so much to drink they just sat in their seat barely able to follow the match. What's the point?

If the sole aim of the day was to get smashed, then just do it at home. Save yourself some money and everyone else the grief you cause!

In fairness the fuddie-duddies were saying exactly the same 35 years when I was getting smashed most nights...

...aged 16.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As said I wasn't clear, I was talking about over here, with England in the final over there.

Hopefully we'll find out who's right and hopefully it'll be you.
As I still think an 8am kick off here would sadly lead to more of the same.

And neither was I. I was specifically talking about Wembley and breaking into the stadium. I thought the context of the thread title would probably be a give away.

We've had an 8am kick off for an England World Cup final in the winter - 23 November 2003 in fact. I believe that passed off peacefully. Maybe the posh boys can just handle their beer and hooter better. And we certainly didn't see anything like those levels of carnage for the 1996 semi at Wembley.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Got Wembley around 14:30. Came out Wembley Park and the flares were already going, but all good natured. Not been there for 3 or so years. It has turned into bars, restaurants etc which will attract non ticket holders for big games. On train up, group of lads were only on their way up without tickets, on the drink. Good lads (at that point - 1 lashed, but others friendly/non offensive). On their way for the atmos.

Really difficult to contain an outer security ring with this inner attraction.

Imho, security needs to find a solution to non-ticket holders descending for big games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And drugs, jealously and failing in everything they do.

Will blame society in later years when theyve got nothing

They'll blame the woke soy lefties, Trained Marxists and the BBC.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What angers me the most is the fact that around the world it is the same old "England fans at it again". It wasn't England fans. It was a bunch of total morons combined with a totally unprepared security.

Thinking about it the list of improvements that could have been made (some in hindsight):

1) Police at the turnstiles - this would not have been confrontational but would have definitely put some off and meant the stewards didn't have to do the rough stuff
2) Police at area where the first ticket and covid check as done
3) Police keeping the area at the bottom of the stairs clear - they did it for Germany and Denmark, why not Sunday
4) Close the shops nearby selling cheap alcohol - I'm told Tesco ran dry so had to have the manager out front saying no alcohol.
5) Fan Park somewhere else - I know covid probably stopped this but that was a mistake. I suspect if they'd had a fan park at Hyde Park or something half of those that turned up at Wembley would have gone there.
6) Train the stewards properly, or bring in stewards from other football clubs. I believe quite a lot of the stewards had never stewarded a football match until the start of the Euros.

Agreed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict that some are going to try and force their way into the stadium with:

a) c.30,000 spare seats.
b) England in a major final for the first time in 55 years.
c) 8pm kickoff time leading to a whole day of boozing.

Obviously doesn't condone the behaviour, but you've got to expect the worst. Bloody nora, I went to watch the NFL at Wembley about 10 years ago and there were police on horseback controlling the most docile sporting crowd you could ever ask for. A bit of that wouldn't have gone amiss on Sunday!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I understand that what you mean is that one can mitigate against the risk of this sort of thing, and steps could have been taken, but the blame lies fair and square with the ***** who acted like feral rabid dogs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here