Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Security at Wembley last night .... Non existent

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I understand that what you mean is that one can mitigate against the risk of this sort of thing, and steps could have been taken, but the blame lies fair and square with the ***** who acted like feral rabid dogs.

Who have acted like feral rabid dogs at every available opportunity in the past and will do in the future irrespective of location, time, result and whether or not there's currently a global pandemic.

It's just what we do.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I understand that what you mean is that one can mitigate against the risk of this sort of thing, and steps could have been taken, but the blame lies fair and square with the ***** who acted like feral rabid dogs.

Of course. Doesn’t mean the authorities should let them get on with it though. This is why we have a police force and laws around big event organization. It doesn’t do innocent bystanders any good to let the thugs get on with it and then debate the breakdown of society after the event.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Were there any police?

It felt very light touch, and the stewarding amateur. Ive see far more presence and involvement in english matches. It felt like they were not expecting anything other than a benign event. I suspect there were many vans of riot police waiting a few mins away but it wasn't that type of problem. A highly visibly police force would have done it for those trying to get in, plus properly constructed barriers. The riot police still needed if Wembley Way, full and with many of the low life of England, kicked off. Cant believe we have any chance for 2030 after than utter shambles

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
No kick off time would have solved it all however. People have been locked up, confined to barracks and bored out of their skulls. Here was the first real chance to unwind a bit. You're surprised that many people went OTT? I'm surprised it wasn't more. 19th July has the potential for more carnage but at least it won't be all in one place and it'll be on a Monday after work. And there was the total failure of the government to confirm the capacity till too late, not allowing staffing up.

That said, whoever was in charge of security should lose their job if they haven't already.

I think you’re right. I also think the fact that pubs were operating under a much reduced capacity meant that a lots of fans simply had nowhere to go. It was either watch at home with their mum and dad or head to London to party ! For the FOMO generation there was only one choice.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I do think (and I know I'll get flamed for this) as well as a country we really need to look at our drinking culture. Don't get me wrong I like a drink, but why the need to go so overboard to the point where you're acting like this. I saw plenty in the stadium who had had so much to drink they just sat in their seat barely able to follow the match. What's the point?

If the sole aim of the day was to get smashed, then just do it at home. Save yourself some money and everyone else the grief you cause!

I totally agree.

Nothing wrong with having a good few beers with friends at footie, nothing wrong with the banter either, its part of the whole matchday experience.
But the behaviour of too large a contigent in this country is a total embarrasment, Seen all too often, guys so pissed they can barely stand, being abusive and maybe its because I'm an old b'stard....... I cannot stand the behaviour of English louts when we travel to the near abroad (like France 2016 etc), they are those who behave like an invading army that have conquered France and can do whatever they please rather than being guests who should be civil and respectful...... Sing your hearts out, drink responsibly and have fun, but it goes beyond this too often with a contingent of louts who abuse locals, smashing shit up and general petty lawlessness.

I'm pretty proud of where our domestic game is compared to once it was in the 80's with all the hooliganism, our club is a shining example of an inclusive, family and community club that doesnt tolerate this sort of crap, even though it will never fully rid it, it always deals decisively where it occurs.......

Somehow we need the same paradigm shift with the national team, a no nonsense approach to turn the tide and somehow get these parasites out... they ruin it for all real football fans, they tarnish the majority who are football fans out to have a good day out, a few beers, but wont break any laws, dont abuse people and wont destroy stuff.

I actually hope that this whole lawless Wembley way warzone, the final security fiasco, the racial abuse and total lawlessness may serve as a crossroads and final wake up call for the whole football community, the FA and govt to take decisive and co ordinated action to get this shit out, and deal with those who try and hide behind the St Georges Cross but do not represent the 98% of law abiding fans.

Theyre not England supporters, theyre irresponsible, lawless scumbags and the rest of Europe asscociates them with all of us who are nothing like that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I totally agree.

Nothing wrong with having a good few beers with friends at footie, nothing wrong with the banter either, its part of the whole matchday experience.
But the behaviour of too large a contigent in this country is a total embarrasment, Seen all too often, guys so pissed they can barely stand, being abusive and maybe its because I'm an old b'stard....... I cannot stand the behaviour of English louts when we travel to the near abroad (like France 2016 etc), they are those who behave like an invading army that have conquered France and can do whatever they please rather than being guests who should be civil and respectful...... Sing your hearts out, drink responsibly and have fun, but it goes beyond this too often with a contingent of louts who abuse locals, smashing shit up and general petty lawlessness.

I'm pretty proud of where our domestic game is compared to once it was in the 80's with all the hooliganism, our club is a shining example of an inclusive, family and community club that doesnt tolerate this sort of crap, even though it will never fully rid it, it always deals decisively where it occurs.......

Somehow we need the same paradigm shift with the national team, a no nonsense approach to turn the tide and somehow get these parasites out... they ruin it for all real football fans, they tarnish the majority who are football fans out to have a good day out, a few beers, but wont break any laws, dont abuse people and wont destroy stuff.

I actually hope that this whole lawless Wembley way warzone, the final security fiasco, the racial abuse and total lawlessness may serve as a crossroads and final wake up call for the whole football community, the FA and govt to take decisive and co ordinated action to get this shit out, and deal with those who try and hide behind the St Georges Cross but do not represent the 98% of law abiding fans.

Theyre not England supporters, theyre irresponsible, lawless scumbags and the rest of Europe asscociates them with all of us who are nothing like that.

But didn't our club have this happen on a mini basis at home to Palace? Forced entry, stewards over run, flares/banger in the ground? We seemed to tolerate it and I don't remember decisive action?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course. Doesn’t mean the authorities should let them get on with it though. This is why we have a police force and laws around big event organization. It doesn’t do innocent bystanders any good to let the thugs get on with it and then debate the breakdown of society after the event.

Oh, indeed. I'm a full steam ahead 'cut their goolies off' type, me. My only point was that the blame lies with the miscreants, not society, the fact they weren't breast fed as nippers, the removal of free school meals or the demise of Swap Shop :shrug:

:thumbsup: :wink:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I totally agree.

Great post.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
It felt very light touch, and the stewarding amateur. Ive see far more presence and involvement in english matches. It felt like they were not expecting anything other than a benign event. I suspect there were many vans of riot police waiting a few mins away but it wasn't that type of problem. A highly visibly police force would have done it for those trying to get in, plus properly constructed barriers. The riot police still needed if Wembley Way, full and with many of the low life of England, kicked off. Cant believe we have any chance for 2030 after than utter shambles

After the re-emergence of the idiots over the past few years - it had calmed down a bit, but wasn't great in France 2016 or Portugal 2018 and came to a head on Sunday - I have done a full 180 and am now of the opinion that, frankly, the further away they hold these tournaments the better. Sucks for casual fans, but will allow those of us who follow England everywhere the opportunity to enjoy the experience without fear of being targetted by the local nutters looking for a scalp, or of getting caught up in the sort of scenes we saw at Wembley last weekend.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Guardian speculating that UEFA may punish England with game(s) behind closed doors.

Will be a bit extreme if they do that, as it was also their tournamount and the management is UEFA.... though I dont dount they will try and exonerate themselves from any amount of poor decision making.

The fact is the next UEFA sanctioned England home games wont be until the nations league in 22/23 Season.... the WC qualifiers and the world cup is all FIFA.

Would be a bit like me telling my son he's going in the naughty corner in September for what he did wrong last week.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
After the re-emergence of the idiots over the past few years - it had calmed down a bit, but wasn't great in France 2016 or Portugal 2018 and came to a head on Sunday - I have done a full 180 and am now of the opinion that, frankly, the further away they hold these tournaments the better. Sucks for casual fans, but will allow those of us who follow England everywhere the opportunity to enjoy the experience without fear of being targetted by the local nutters looking for a scalp, or of getting caught up in the sort of scenes we saw at Wembley last weekend.

Yep, good call. How we sort the pond life i don't know but they are a national embarrassment

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hosting the World Cup will never come home, idiot minority sgain.
Got more chance of hosting it over here now I would expect.

Its all about money.

The FA of wherever (in this case England) put a proposal together along with how profitable a tournament might be. UEFA/FIFA question them over security concerns, they are told lessons have been learned, here is what we are doing in future etc etc. Australian bid raises 500 million dollars, England bid (in the middle of the developed world) raises 2 billion pounds.

I think I know where the tournament will go.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Who have acted like feral rabid dogs at every available opportunity in the past and will do in the future irrespective of location, time, result and whether or not there's currently a global pandemic.

It's just what we do.

Typical snow flake we one two world wars we can do what we want

Regards

DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here