Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saving Private Ryan

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The attack on Pearl Harbor was brilliantly realised however.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BarrelofFun said:
Soccerdog.

Good man. A cinematic masterpiece. Closely followed by Soccerdog European Cup. The greatest sequel of all time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
brightonfan_86 said:
Channel 5 now.

My all time favourite film. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I thought Die Hard's were your favorite films due to your regular I love Die Hard thread, your favourite bit being the part where they take the piss out of us English by crashing the first plane after the immortal line "its like british rail, we get there eventually" Haw Haw Haw

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Uncle Spielberg said:
I think overall its a pretty superb film and done by a newcomer without a reputation would be lauded on here by all and sundry as a masterpiece. Gives people the opportunity of bashing God again. Seriously the film work in that first 25 minutes has never been matched by any other director EVER.

The landing is expertly handled - I think we can agree on that. I doubt it's the best 25 minutes of film work ever though.

The problem with the film is it's basic rehash of a load of war films of the sixties. The main story feels like it's been nicked from a commando comic. Characterisation is poor and the film doesn't challenge our understanding of conflict and it's effects on the young men taking part. Unlike some of the best war pictures it can't be read as a metaphor for current events and it isn't a study of the human condition.

is it entertaining - yes
is it too long - yes
is it gung ho patriotic propaganda - well a bit
Is it in the end a rather hollow melodrama - like a lot of Senior Spielbergo, yes

If you want to see a great war movie from the same period watch the Thin Red Line. It's not perfect either, but as a piece of filmmaking it blows SPR out of the water

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Tipical Amercian blockbuster film.To be fair the Yanks did take more Casualties then the rest of the Allies put together.How people find these sorts of film the best is laughable.Good viewing but nothing more

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
algie said:
Tipical Amercian blockbuster film.To be fair the Yanks did take more Casualties then the rest of the Allies put together.How people find these sorts of film the best is laughable.Good viewing but nothing more

I think you mean the Russians took more casualties than the rest of the allies put together

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Man of Harveys said:
To be fair, that tripey follow-up series (Brothers?) had one British soldier in it. And, for authenticity's sake, he spoke with an accent modelled on Dick van Dyke's in Mary Poppins. He was ACE.

Bulk of the actors in that series were British, for once the lead Yank was played by Damian Lewis, a Brit and if you look closely you'll find Dexter Fletcher and Simon Pegg buried in there somewhere. Band of Brothers worked better and was more accurate because it was telling the story of real people and therefore couldn't embellish or oversentimentalise because of it. Saving Private Ryan is fiction a made up story based on an historical episode. Where the story has to stick close to reality, i.e the forst 25 minutes it is very powerful. Where it becomes fiction, the rest of the film, it's just a rehash of any 50s Western and 60s War films and is sentimental tripe that requires a sick bag for the viewer.

If you want a good war film I suggest you watch Stalingrad.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Theatre of Trees said:
If you want a good war film I suggest you watch Stalingrad.
I have, it's magnificent.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Voroshilov said:
I think you mean the Russians took more casualties than the rest of the allies put together

Nope. The Yanks took more casualties in the Normandy landings or D-DAY in 1944

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
FalmerforAll!** said:
Saw it last night,was absolutely quality

It is when your in your teens;)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The first 25 minutes have to be seen on the big screen, after that leave the cinema....although Barry Pepper does have a cracking arse so maybe worth continuing watching just for those butt cheeks.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
FalmerforAll!** said:
Spielberg did very well,you gotta admit

I'm not saying it's a bad film because it's not.It's hard to explain but the older you get the more of these sorts of American films get on your tits.No doubt when i was probably your age i would of liked it even more.You want one of Spielberg's better films then watch Schindler's List.Don't expect loads of explosions or weapons firing unlimited rounds.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, it HAS got Vin Diesel in it. So it can't be all bad.
Ahem.

Stumpy Tim

Rangdo said:
Good man. A cinematic masterpiece. Closely followed by Soccerdog European Cup. The greatest sequel of all time.

Yes. The sequel often overlooked due to the masterclass of the original.

Thing that bothered me about Saving Private Ryan was how all the Yanks had shiny white teeth in the middle of a war. Didn't realise the troops had world class cosmetic dentists with them

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The last 30 minutes battle is pretty brilliant shot as well surely ???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Stumpy Tim said:
Didn't realise the troops had world class cosmetic dentists with them

Don't you know ANYTHING? :shrug:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Apart from the sentimental, treacle covered bookends I would say its Spielbeards best serious film. I like it.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Dies Irae said:
I assume that is because it was specifically about an American unit and the landings at Omaha Beach were actually by American Divisions

:rolleyes:

I`ll think you`ll find that the British were`nt even at the Normandy landings. OK they brought up some ammo for the yanks but we played no significant part in the second front,.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here