Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saving Private Ryan

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Uncle Spielberg said:
Why is sentalmentlity such a bloody crine anyway ?. I would say hundreds of soliders being killed and blown apart was quite sad, what did you want " walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves " playing whilst the Beach Landings were taking place.

All you hard men who have probably never cried in your lives as its a sign of weakness need to get in touch with your emotions.

It's not the beach landing scenes I'm referring to, it's things like the completely unecessary cemetary bookends. Intelligent viewers are quite capable of figuring out that the film is a sad one without having Spielberg announce it over the PA at the start. Those of us who are really in touch with our emotions do not require film makers to hold up a placard telling us when to cry.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Utter crap Trufflehound. Utter utter crap,

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Utter crap Trufflehound. Utter utter crap,

Trufflehound is correct. I really dislike being manipulated by a filmmaker.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Uncle Spielberg said:
Why is sentalmentlity such a bloody crine anyway ?. I would say hundreds of soliders being killed and blown apart was quite sad, what did you want " walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves " playing whilst the Beach Landings were taking place.

All you hard men who have probably never cried in your lives as its a sign of weakness need to get in touch with your emotions.

Sentalmentlity is not a crime but a poor attempt to spell the word sentimentality.
And crine ?

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Trufflehound said:
It's not the beach landing scenes I'm referring to, it's things like the completely unecessary cemetary bookends. Intelligent viewers are quite capable of figuring out that the film is a sad one without having Spielberg announce it over the PA at the start. Those of us who are really in touch with our emotions do not require film makers to hold up a placard telling us when to cry.

I remember saying to someone that the opening 20 mins or so were in my opinion far to graphic and the whole thing seemed like a horror movie rather than a serious piece of film making. The reply I got from the intellectual was that Spielberg was trying to put us into the battle and to bombard us with scenes of horror on a unprecedented scale so that at the end of the opening battle scenes we would feel like the men on the beach............. shellshocked.

I said he was full of shit.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
H block said:
I remember saying to someone that the opening 20 mins or so were in my opinion far to graphic and the whole thing seemed like a horror movie rather than a serious piece of film making. The reply I got from the intellectual was that Spielberg was trying to put us into the battle and to bombard us with scenes of horror on a unprecedented scale so that at the end of the opening battle scenes we would feel like the men on the beach............. shellshocked.

I would say the intellectual was right. Spielberg was trying to put us in the hellish position of these men. Not entirely sure it works in that way though. I actually found it exhilerating rather than horrifying. Not saying what happened wasn't horrific, just the way it was depicted wasn't particularly.

Not sure Spielbergs depiction of the 'Hun' was that great either. He seems to be making a token effort to position the Germans as real people but by the end they are your typical sadistic Gerry.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" I said he was full of shit. "

WW2 verterans who were there and survived the beach landings were invited to the screening and said Spielberg's pretty much got the horror spot on and applauded him , so if they thought it was ok what do you know typing on your computer ???

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:

WW2 verterans who were there and survived the beach landings were invited to the screening and said Spielberg's pretty much got the horror spot on and applauded him , so if they thought it was ok what do you know typing on your computer ???

How to type?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just close this thread as I am about to punch someone in the face very very hard

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Uncle Spielberg said:

they should have a re-showing in some cinemas where you get to have one of your limbs ripped off at the start of the film......
All for authenticity of course.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
H block said:
they should have a re-showing in some cinemas where you get to have one of your limbs ripped off at the start of the film......
All for authenticity of course.
Or half the audience unexpectedly get shot. That's what it was like.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
H block said:
I`ll think you`ll find that the British were`nt even at the Normandy landings. OK they brought up some ammo for the yanks but we played no significant part in the second front,.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

"Omaha" was just one landing of six landing sites during the the Normandy landings.

Three divisions of Americans, two British and One Canadian took part in the beach offensive.

"Omaha", a site where an American division landed, was where the most fatalities occured during the landings. Mainly due to tactical error.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
jonny.rainbow said:

"Omaha" was just one landing of six landing sites during the the Normandy landings.

Three divisions of Americans, two British and One Canadian took part in the beach offensive.

"Omaha", a site where an American division landed, was where the most fatalities occured during the landings. Mainly due to tactical error.

Of course

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jonny.rainbow said:

".

Yes he was, which was lost I take it!

Top Ten war Movies

1. All Quiet on the Western Front - without a shadow of a doubt IMHO
2. 633 Squadron
3. Das Boot
4. The Cruel Sea
5. The Sand Pipers
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. The Iron Cross
8. The Red Max
9. The Longest day
10. battle of Brittain/The dam Busters/Saving Private Ryan/Tora Tora Tora/ Cant chose out of these

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
H block said:

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here