Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saving Private Ryan

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Dies Irae said:
I assume that is because it was specifically about an American unit and the landings at Omaha Beach were actually by American Divisions

:rolleyes:

True but there were British Paratroop divisions dropped further inland.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
BarrelofFun said:
Were we only figthing in Walmington-on-Sea?

Yes, but that was all depicted in the follow-up, Saving Private Pike...

...in which Capt. Mainwaring (Tom Hanks) organises a whip-round among the platoon to buy Frank (Matt Damon) a new scarf, thus preventing him from catching a nasty chill after he accidentally walks into a step ladder and knocks a bucket of cold water all over himself.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
brightonfan_86 said:
I can't believe some of the replies in this thread, none of us where there or even born, so we wouldn't of known what it was like for the US on Omaha Beach that day.

Probably the same as it was for the 2 British and 1 Canadian Division landing at the other landing areas that day.

Last edited:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
brightonfan_86 said:
I can't believe some of the replies in this thread, none of us where there or even born, so we wouldn't of known what it was like for the US on Omaha Beach that day.

What's that got to do with the film being a pile of shit?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Spielberg said:
The beach landings are the greatest ever 25 minutes of filming in the history of cinema. FACT

The most intense, powerful and brilliant bit of cinematography I've seen. I remeber coming out of the cinema feeling numb the first time I watched it, no other film has done that to me.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Schpielberg at his absolute worst.

IMO

please explain

Of all his films I've seen, this in my opinion is the worst.

Too much sentiment, not enough factual accuracy.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
80's Seagull said:
The most intense, powerful and brilliant bit of cinematography I've seen. I remeber coming out of the cinema feeling numb the first time I watched it, no other film has done that to me.

I felt numb after watching Barely Legal 7

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
brightonfan_86 said:

Yeh Kev - nobody is going to deny that the Landings seen is AWESOME....but the rest of the film isn't all that.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think overall its a pretty superb film and done by a newcomer without a reputation would be lauded on here by all and sundry as a masterpiece. Gives people the opportunity of bashing God again. Seriously the film work in that first 25 minutes has never been matched by any other director EVER.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
ET is wonderful :thumbsup:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Uncle Spielberg said:
ET is wonderful :thumbsup:

It is, although close encounters is his best sci-fi..

Top three:

Jaws
Duel
Close Encounters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BarrelofFun said:
They travelled through a large part of France and there was not even a reference to the British or any other nation that took part in the war. If you are trying to make a film that is masquerading as a factual piece of work, then inclusion would not hurt in the slightest.

I think you will find they headed towards the South of caen towards St Lo, where it was almost totally US and canadian forces.....however it was hollywood, so they could have been in Iraq for all they know.

Anyone seen that dreadful Pearl harbour? Tora Tora Tora was much better

LOL

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Trufflehound said:
Yes, but that was all depicted in the follow-up, Saving Private Pike...

...in which Capt. Mainwaring (Tom Hanks) organises a whip-round among the platoon to buy Frank (Matt Damon) a new scarf, thus preventing him from catching a nasty chill after he accidentally walks into a step ladder and knocks a bucket of cold water all over himself.

You may joke, but there is an episode of Dads Army entitled 'Sgt Save My Boy' (or something like that), where Private Pike becomes trapped in some barbed wire on the beach as the tide is coming in, and the platoon have to get across a minefield to save him. In the end Godfery saves the day, and pike says that he has a spike stuck in his bum, which he will be glad when his mum gets a poltice on it.

Speilberg? Pah!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
80's Seagull said:

Debbie Does dallas came close

:down: :down:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dies Irae said:
I think you will find they headed towards the South of caen towards St Lo, where it was almost totally US and canadian forces.....however it was hollywood, so they could have been in Iraq for all they know.

Anyone seen that dreadful Pearl harbour? Tora Tora Tora was much better

LOL

Pearl harbour makes me cringe. They might have well thrown away the soundtrack and replaced it with the star spangled banner the whole way through. Beckinsale is pleasing on the eye though :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here