2. 633 Squadron
3. Das Boot
4. The Cruel Sea
5. The Sand Pipers
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. The Iron Cross
8. The Red Max
9. The Longest day
10. battle of Brittain/The dam Busters/Saving Private Ryan/Tora Tora Tora/ Cant chose out of these
Some very good calls there Dave - I'd add the gruesome Stalingrad - essential viewing for anyone who likes Das Boot. And I have a massive soft spot for In Which We Serve.

Dies Irae said:
Yes he was, which was lost I take it!

Top Ten war Movies

1. All Quiet on the Western Front - without a shadow of a doubt IMHO
2. 633 Squadron
3. Das Boot
4. The Cruel Sea
5. The Sand Pipers
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. The Iron Cross
8. The Red Max
9. The Longest day
10. battle of Brittain/The dam Busters/Saving Private Ryan/Tora Tora Tora/ Cant chose out of these

Not a bad list though I would throw in Zulu, which I believe is also a classic. JUST IMAGINE A MODERN remake of that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Iron Cross, which I think has Maximilliam Schell in it was based around Stalingrad, although I did see Stalingrad and yes it was very watchable.

In which we serve is good.

Historically, Cromwell had some good battle scenes as did Waterloo ( the scene with the british cavalryman being chased down by the French lancer that was filmed in slow motion, still gives me nightmares) Charge of the Light Brigade was very gruesome and the anglo Russian film of War and Peace ( it was about 5 hours long and split into part 1 and 2) had some horrendous battle scenes

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
London Calling said:
Not a bad list though I would throw in Zulu, which I believe is also a classic. JUST IMAGINE A MODERN remake of that.

A good film but I always laugh when I see it because of the Python sketch in ``The Meaning of Life``

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
algie said:
Nope. The Yanks took more casualties in the Normandy landings or D-DAY in 1944
I'm sorry but of all the utterly wrong things I've read on here that is the worst. Just take a look, one single look at the casualty figures for WW2. The Soviets are by far the biggest, Brits, Yanks, Aussies, etc added together don't even come close.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
jonny.rainbow said:
I hope you're being sarcastic.

"Omaha" was just one landing of six landing sites during the the Normandy landings.

Three divisions of Americans, two British and One Canadian took part in the beach offensive.

"Omaha", a site where an American division landed, was where the most fatalities occured during the landings. Mainly due to tactical error.

That silly error the Septics made of sinking a load of their heavy artillery?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dies Irae said:

Top Ten war Movies

2. 633 Squadron
3. Das Boot
4. The Cruel Sea
5. The Sand Pipers
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. The Iron Cross
8. The Red Max
9. The Longest day

No Ice Cold in Alex?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brovian said:
I'm sorry but of all the utterly wrong things I've read on here that is the worst. Just take a look, one single look at the casualty figures for WW2. The Soviets are by far the biggest, Brits, Yanks, Aussies, etc added together don't even come close.

I think the point he was making was that the Americans took more casualties in teh DDay landings than anyone else.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Trufflehound said:
It's not the beach landing scenes I'm referring to, it's things like the completely unecessary cemetary bookends. Intelligent viewers are quite capable of figuring out that the film is a sad one without having Spielberg announce it over the PA at the start. Those of us who are really in touch with our emotions do not require film makers to hold up a placard telling us when to cry.

Small point interest, perhaps :

Beach scenes were filmed at a small seaside village near Wexford Ireland called Curracloe which has an eight mile scenic/sandy beach

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Dies Irae said:

Top Ten war Movies

2. 633 Squadron
3. Das Boot
4. The Cruel Sea
5. The Sand Pipers
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. The Iron Cross
8. The Red Max
9. The Longest day

Not bad. But please add to that list, in roughly this order:

La Grande Illusion
Stalag 17
The Best Years of Our Lives (technically set just after the war, but still...)
The Great Escape (all right, so it's bollocks - but it's thoroughly entertaining bollocks)
Patton
...and The Thin Red Line

Are we allowed pre-20th Century wars? In which case add The Outlaw Josey Wales...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
May I nominate "Too late the hero."

A fantastic Michael Caine/Cliff Robertson vehicle.

Who can forget the electrifying zigzagging sequence at the end?

Surely the greatest 15 minutes of film ever commited to celluloid.

Last edited:

I have no idea of the name but in the 70's I was watching a TV film about British commandoes in WW2. Fantastic, it included scenes when one commando had got back to British lines but the sentries - were suspicious - and just shot him, because they couldn't take the risk of letting him get closer to him. Another commando extracting gold from the teeth of a dead German and back at home as a Commando was relaxing, his son put his hands over his eyes...........................the Commando went into battle mode and smashed a teapot into his sons face.
Possibly PC anti-war correctness from the BBC but shocking then and still now!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Sigull said:
Small point interest, perhaps :

Beach scenes were filmed at a small seaside village near Wexford Ireland called Curracloe which has an eight mile scenic/sandy beach

If we're doing useless bits of information, then the last battle scene in SPR was filmed in a field somewhere in Bucks or Herts that was then used for Band of Brothers.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Theatre of Trees said:
If we're doing useless bits of information, then the last battle scene in SPR was filmed in a field somewhere in Bucks or Herts that was then used for Band of Brothers.

Wasn't the battle in Gladiator filmed near Guilford?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here