Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday- biggest must win game since Hereford???

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I understand what you mean, Some people are very quick to dissmiss without consideration here.

No one is denying the Hereford game is the most important game in the clubs history.

However when you look at saturdays game and in fact the rest of this season including the play offs, it has the potential to shape the club more so than any other game we have played since Hereford. Since then we have had the play off final, had we lost it wouldn't have made a huge difference to the future of the club. Staying up with McGhee again had we gone down it wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference. You could argue that Slade keeping us up was very important for the future as was getting promoted last season but should we get promoted this season it will have a huge impact on the club financially and with regards to status. Ok if we don't we can have another go next year but thats not to say we will have as good a season next year and not have this chance again for a few years.

Saturdays game specifically isn't massive the next 7 and potentially 10 games are absolutely massive and with the exception of Hereford could be huge to move the club to the next level.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Maybe in hindsight I should engage my brain before posting

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sorry, does nobody understand what biggest must win SINCE Hereford means? He wasn't suggesting it was bigger than Hereford.

As for the play-off final, well yes it was important, but apart from a bit of extra money it didn't really make that much difference whether we were in the Championship or Legaue 1, as the club couldn't go any further than the bottom of the Championship until Falmer was built anyway. The club would have survived in League 1 until we got Falmer. Now we have it, this game is the biggest for years. If we win it, I genuinely think we have one foot in the play-offs, which could be worth millions and millions of pounds.

It's definitely the biggest game of the season so far, and therefore the biggest at the Amex so far. I'm struggling to think of a bigger one since Hereford, to be honest.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Agree it is a big game but even if lost we still have other chances, this isnt a last gasp only hope game like Hereford or a handful of other games,and cannot see how it can be compared to anything more than a six pointer

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Saturdays game specifically isn't massive the next 7 and potentially 10 games are absolutely massive and with the exception of Hereford could be huge to move the club to the next level.

Ignoring the fact for a sec that every game affects anything that follows so you could argue they are all significant - most people would have taken not to be relegated or mid-table this season, so how anyone can think this game - one we don't even need to win - is particularly important, just doesn't scan with me.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Sorry, does nobody understand what biggest must win SINCE Hereford means? He wasn't suggesting it was bigger than Hereford.

As for the play-off final, well yes it was important, but apart from a bit of extra money it didn't really make that much difference whether we were in the Championship or Legaue 1, as the club couldn't go any further than the bottom of the Championship until Falmer was built anyway. The club would have survived in League 1 until we got Falmer. Now we have it, this game is the biggest for years. If we win it, I genuinely think we have one foot in the play-offs, which could be worth millions and millions of pounds.

It's definitely the biggest game of the season so far, and therefore the biggest at the Amex so far. I'm struggling to think of a bigger one since Hereford, to be honest.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Tbh, even if we lost it wouldn't be a disaster given the way the other teams around us have been performing lately.

Some people think we need to finish 4th. We don't, we only have to finish 3rd out of the 6 or so teams competing for the three remaining play-off spots. Even if we lost on Saturday, we could still be in the top 6 and still have a great chance of making the play-offs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

You could make a case for Chesterfield at home. Changing the mentality of the Club from victims to WINNERS. The first silverware for decades.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whatever the outcome on saturday, you can be sure the NEXT game will be 'the most important since xxxx' until we either can't reach the play-offs anymore or are knocked out of them!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think if we got to the championship play off final then we could possibly class that as big as the hereford game... I state championship because i do not think any other play off final would be as big as hereford but a play off final for the prem is taking Brighton into a whole new level...

However Sat is a big game but nowhere near... as mentioned above we could lose and yet other results go our way and we could still be 5th come sa after losing to boro...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A pedant writes. Hereford was not a must win though, we only needed a draw, so in fact this game is more of a must win even than Hereford :jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think if we got to the championship play off final then we could possibly class that as big as the hereford game... I state championship because i do not think any other play off final would be as big as hereford but a play off final for the prem is taking Brighton into a whole new level...

However Sat is a big game but nowhere near... as mentioned above we could lose and yet other results go our way and we could still be 5th come sa after losing to boro...

No it wouldn't be, because if we lost the play-off final we would still have a club to support next year. That may well not have been the case for the Hereford game.

But the original poster said SINCE the Hereford game.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Quality pedantry Pantani.

To confuse - if anything I think Boro may be a must not lose rather than a must win........................

So are you asking if Middlesbrough is the biggest must not lose since Hereford? Mods, we need a thread title change :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even if we reached the European Cup Final, it wouldn't be bigger than that Hereford game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To confuse - if anything I think Boro may be a must not lose rather than a must win........................
A point would keep our noses ahead of them on goal difference, which looks like it could be very important at the end of the season (we are five ahead of Boro at the moment, quite a lot to make up if we matched them in terms of results).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think it's as big as any of the playoff games, but it feels like it, it feels bigger than any game last season because last season we never had a defining game like this (could be) at this time of the season. Games like Walsall, Dagenham where we secured the title and promotion were amazing but it was only a matter of time.

There's Chesterfield I suppose.

I feel nervous and excited about the game on Saturday like I did for the playoffs. It'll probably be like that until we're definitely in or out ot the playoffs now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here