Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Any news on the afternoon answer he is supposed to be giving Gus???

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
No, we don't play with two wingers ever, more like Bridcutt, Sparrow and Harley central yet providing left cover like Dicker "tries" to do and Lua Lua floating between wings. Dicker is too slow to provide both his ball playing skills and at the same time cover the left. Against Doncaster there was bags of space on the left, exposing Painter. This is fine, however upon giving that space you need a player who can cover the left. Dicker cannot do that. You could move Sparrow out there as he has the legs, yet Dicker is not in as attack minded and we would lose impetous going forward.

Dicker in that role is not good enough in the Championship. We play it out from the back and link well with Bridcutt but Dicker appears like a Rabbit in the headlights, surrounded by two midfielders in the centre and unable to get involved. He is not involved with the possesion game and when played to him the ball ends up more than likely with the opposition. He hasn't got the engine on him to compete as he has too. In a midfield FIVE it would be a different story.

You're right that we never play with two wingers (or at least we dont play one of them as a winger) although we did against Gillingham and I wonder if that was just to give them both a game or whether Gus is thinking about going 4-5-1 in some games this season, particularly away from home. Maybe more possible with Mackail-Smith up top on his own and his work rate. Will be interesting to find out in the coming weeks.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
Harley a glamour player in an average side good when have the ball when don't not great
Dicker a class act and will only be telling himself off for sloppy mistakes, a vital player for us and wins alot of ball inabling other players to do the damage ! Both solid players and needed to have in squad to be successfull.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
You're right that we never play with two wingers (or at least we dont play one of them as a winger) although we did against Gillingham and I wonder if that was just to give them both a game or whether Gus is thinking about going 4-5-1 in some games this season, particularly away from home. Maybe more possible with Mackail-Smith up top on his own and his work rate. Will be interesting to find out in the coming weeks.

I think either home or away we will play with a striker playing slightly out wide, whether that be Barnes or Hoskins then 1 out and out winger the other side and 3 in the middle. Id like to see Bridcutt, Vincelot and one other on saturday with Bucklet the winger and CMS and (preying) Hoskins. Harley would be n excellent signing that may give Dicker and Sparrow the kick up the arses they need to start performing like we know they can. RE; Dicker, you cant give the ball away where he does at any level let alone the championship. Undoubted talent and a good passer on his day, but even those saying he 'only occasionally gives the ball away' Thats not good enough nd im sure Gus knows that! Hence the Harley rumour/movement

Playing 4-5-1 would have us nailed on for a top 12 finish. I think Gus and Bloom secretly want to go for the Play offs and in order to do that and break down the top defenses we need two strikers on the pitch. We did try a 4-5-1 against Gillingham and personally I thought it was okay. It is obvious Barness on his own is a no go as he struggled against a League Two side (Not a Barness is shit person, just don't think at 21 he is ready for the Championship) yet as you say, with CMS it may be a different story.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
MBTS gets more right than wrong and Harley would complete the midfield jigsaw. He takes a mean set piece, takes (and scores!) penalties, is an excellent passer of the ball, keeps busy, isn't afraid to put a tackle or two in and he's ginger (and no, I'm not related to him). Don't know about his attitude or drinking habits but as others have said Gus will sort any problems like that out. I'd take him on a loan to buy or permanent basis - either way he's what we need right now.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find it odd that some people are prepared to write off Dicker after one Championship game (the first one of the season as well) and yet are prepared to hail Ryan Harley as the saviour, a man who's never played above League One level?

I have no idea whether Harley can cut it or not, it just seems bizarre that people are seemingly so convinced about him at this point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I find it odd that some people are prepared to write off Dicker after one Championship game (the first one of the season as well) and yet are prepared to hail Ryan Harley as the saviour, a man who's never played above League One level?

I have no idea whether Harley can cut it or not, it just seems bizarre that people are seemingly so convinced about him at this point.

Possibly because Gus identified him as a target some time ago and people have trust in Gus's judgement.

albertbilbert

Jul 15, 2009
Horsham
looks like "mark by the sea" may have got this one wrong.......tic toc tic toc

Unless Im missing something, why would we be hearing about it?

Whatever Harley's decision is, it doesnt mean hes about to sign does it?

I have skipped through most of this thread so Im prepared to be shot down.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Unless Im missing something, why would we be hearing about it?

Whatever Harley's decision is, it doesnt mean hes about to sign does it?

I have skipped through most of this thread so Im prepared to be shot down.

i was mearly joking anyway....i hope he is right, he normally is

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Like Edna, I don't see the Harley love in. I'm sure he's a good player, Gus signs more good than he does bad. But I think almost everyone underates Matthew Sparrow. Some of the comments about Dicker aren't worth replying to, some people are just so blinkered to how good he is in our system.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Possibly because Gus identified him as a target some time ago and people have trust in Gus's judgement.

In that case they should have trust in Gus's judgement about Dicker!

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Like Edna, I don't see the Harley love in. I'm sure he's a good player, Gus signs more good than he does bad. But I think almost everyone underates Matthew Sparrow. Some of the comments about Dicker aren't worth replying to, some people are just so blinkered to how good he is in our system.

No ones saying Dicker isn't an important part of our team. He is. But on many occasions last season and both competitive games this season he has been caught in possession in dangerous areas and on one occasion we conceded and on the second we just cleared it off the line. No ones has disputed what he brings attacking wise, and i have previously said theres not many more creative midfielders i would have in that respect. But we need someone more consistent and someone who can play higher up the pitch, which again has been evident from previous matches. Whether Harley can solve this problem (along with the set piece issue) I don't know, only Gus does and if he thinks he is worth signing then so do I. Swansea must of seen something in him and they were a very good championship side when they signed him.

As for Sparrow I think he is a good player, brings lots of energy to the midfield and is a great box to box player but IMO he is not a creative midfielder which is what we are crying out for.

jamesp

Feb 23, 2011
Penrith Cumbria
May have already been mentioned but with the 5 sub rule ,and another possible midfield arrival. When are players like Forster Caskey getting any game time?

Byrne & Small

Oct 25, 2010
Burgess hill
For the record I used to LOVE Dicker but at the tail end of last season and (albeit the first couple of games this season) he does seem the weakest link when it comes to losing possession. Dagenham away was a particular low point. I know the pitch was awful but the 21 other players didnt seem to have a problem.

I take no pleasure in saying that tho.

I lost count of the times i found myself saying 'Don't lose it Dicker, Oh shit not there' Last season, But we got away with it more often than not.

Harley sounds just what we need, Sparrow seems a bit distant at times, We need a real ENGINE in that middle. I trust in whatever Gus has planned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here