Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Fascinating thanks. Quietly hopeful reading that

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

If his assessment is right it does look very hopeful BUT Putin cannot afford to lose so would it be at that point he unleashes chemical weapons?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If his assessment is right it does look very hopeful BUT Putin cannot afford to lose so would it be at that point he unleashes chemical weapons?
That may happen.

The big worry for me - and this is my only nuclear worry - is that Ukraine starts to take territory back from the Russians and eventually gets over confident and attempts to retake Crimea. This would be regarded in Moscow as an attack on Russia itself and the nukes could then fly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
An encouraging analysis on the BBC -

'Ukraine changes the narrative' - James Waterhouse, Kyiv correspondent, BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60830013 - at 08:32

'We're told by local authorities in Makariv, a town west of Kyiv, that Ukrainian flags are flying there once more.
There was a very patriotic video put out by the local police where they were driving around assessing damaged buildings.

And it's not just there, in the south we've seen Russian forces pushed back in Voznesensk by 100km (62 miles). We're told a combination of volunteers and Ukrainian troops destroyed a Russian armoured convoy there.
There are similar scenes in the port city of Kherson, where Ukrainians have been fighting back - and that was the first city to fall to invading forces.

It does feel like an against-the-grain narrative after days of more static fighting, more airstrikes, more artillery strikes.
But, as ever, the key city of Mariupol continues to be bombarded and struck from the air. We're now wondering what will be left of this port city.'

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

We have family near Melitopol in the south east. The Russians occupied here easily as most Ukrainian troops were defending either south or north of here.
Now there is Russian food supplies in shops in Melitopol (no Ukrainian food can get there without extreme risk)... priced in Roubles...+

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

We have family near Melitopol in the south east. The Russians occupied here easily as most Ukrainian troops were defending either south or north of here.
Now there is Russian food supplies in shops in Melitopol (no Ukrainian food can get there without extreme risk)... priced in Roubles...+
Do your family consider themselves as Russian or Ukrainian, and what do they think about it?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And then they would lose the moral high ground. At the moment, Ukraine has support from all around the globe and they can't afford to lose that.

But can the Ukranians spare the resources to feed, shelter and guard substantial numbers of POWs? It seems that all fit and able Ukranians are out fighting for their country. How many armed combatants can they spare to guard POWs? Resources are scarce and the Ukranians need to be fed before victuals are provided to the enemy.

It's a tricky one. Morally the POWs should be looked after. Practically, I'm not sure how it happens. Maybe return the POWs to Russia. Those that desserted are never going to be allowed back; more likely to end up in the Siberian salt mines. Might work; let Putin deal with them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
But can the Ukranians spare the resources to feed, shelter and guard substantial numbers of POWs? It seems that all fit and able Ukranians are out fighting for their country. How many armed combatants can they spare to guard POWs? Resources are scarce and the Ukranians need to be fed before victuals are provided to the enemy.

It's a tricky one. Morally the POWs should be looked after. Practically, I'm not sure how it happens. Maybe return the POWs to Russia. Those that desserted are never going to be allowed back; more likely to end up in the Siberian salt mines. Might work; let Putin deal with them.

Slightly different, but a report in the Kyiv Independent yesterday stated that in some areas the Ukrainian army return Russian corpses to the enemy, in return for POWs from the Russian side. The going rate is 6 corpses for the return of 2 Ukrainian prisoners. This is likely to be agreement between commanders on the ground, and not Russian policy.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Do your family consider themselves as Russian or Ukrainian, and what do they think about it?

The in-laws are now in their 80s. Mum is from Ivano Frankivsk and considers herself Ukrainian. Dad was brought up in the Soviet military in Russia and probably considers himself Russian still...as do some others of the older generation in their farming village. They feel that Ukraine provoked Russia by wanting to join NATO. Mum just cries on the phone at the senseless loss of life on both sides. I don't think they minded whether their village stays Ukrainian or becomes Russian, as village peasant farming life will go on much the same whatever. However, if they fully get to understand what's been happening in Mariupol (Ukrainian TV out in their area, so probably watching propaganda TV at the moment) I suspect fewer in the village will feel comfortable about feeling themselves to be Russian.
Their 3 daughters (including my wife) all got out of Ukraine 12years ago and consider themselves Ukrainian, even though Ukraine was a mess then.
My wife, and her friends and cousins that remain (mainly in Zaporizhzhia) feel that the country had improved substantially in the last few years...Zelensky doing a good job and trusted, roads being repaired (always one of their measures), more jobs for the younger generation, improved democracy and less corruption... all a red rag to a bull for Putin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slightly different, but a report in the Kyiv Independent yesterday stated that in some areas the Ukrainian army return Russian corpses to the enemy, in return for POWs from the Russian side. The going rate is 6 corpses for the return of 2 Ukrainian prisoners. This is likely to be agreement between commanders on the ground, and not Russian policy.
That sounds like a very strange policy. It would make sense if the Ukrainian POWs were injured, but if they can immediately start fighting the Russians again, it wouldn't make sense for Russia to release them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
That sounds like a very strange policy. It would make sense if the Ukrainian POWs were injured, but if they can immediately start fighting the Russians again, it wouldn't make sense for Russia to release them.

That's what I thought too. The only 'logic' coming to my mind is if the Russians really have too little food to look after them, AND they're decent enough to let them live, and/or they get paid a bonus for repatriation of corpses.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
That's what I thought too. The only 'logic' coming to my mind is if the Russians really have too little food to look after them, AND they're decent enough to let them live, and/or they get paid a bonus for repatriation of corpses.

"Amazing news, darling, I got a 100,000 rouble bonus this month".

War is grim.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Don't see why a country that is being invaded should be held accountable for looking after captured combatants that have been sent to kill it's citizens .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don't see why a country that is being invaded should be held accountable for looking after captured combatants that have been sent to kill it's citizens .

It is in Ukraine's interest to look after them, if they want to hold their heads up high and be more humane than the Russian leadership.
A Russian prisoner is less likely to want to go and fight against the Ukrainians once being treated well and released.
He is also likely to go back to his homeland with the knowledge he was not mistreated by his captors and may help to spread the word that this is an unjust war.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The in-laws are now in their 80s. Mum is from Ivano Frankivsk and considers herself Ukrainian. Dad was brought up in the Soviet military in Russia and probably considers himself Russian still...as do some others of the older generation in their farming village. They feel that Ukraine provoked Russia by wanting to join NATO. Mum just cries on the phone at the senseless loss of life on both sides. I don't think they minded whether their village stays Ukrainian or becomes Russian, as village peasant farming life will go on much the same whatever. However, if they fully get to understand what's been happening in Mariupol (Ukrainian TV out in their area, so probably watching propaganda TV at the moment) I suspect fewer in the village will feel comfortable about feeling themselves to be Russian.
Their 3 daughters (including my wife) all got out of Ukraine 12years ago and consider themselves Ukrainian, even though Ukraine was a mess then.
My wife, and her friends and cousins that remain (mainly in Zaporizhzhia) feel that the country had improved substantially in the last few years...Zelensky doing a good job and trusted, roads being repaired (always one of their measures), more jobs for the younger generation, improved democracy and less corruption... all a red rag to a bull for Putin.

Forgive me for this but I read this earlier and notice you live in Wiltshire. I don't know if your wife could help or knows anyone who can?

[tweet]1506649587431391237[/tweet]

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
It is in Ukraine's interest to look after them, if they want to hold their heads up high and be more humane than the Russian leadership.
A Russian prisoner is less likely to want to go and fight against the Ukrainians once being treated well and released.
He is also likely to go back to his homeland with the knowledge he was not mistreated by his captors and may help to spread the word that this is an unjust war.

I get that but if the Ukrainians haven't the capacity to take care of prisoners then what options would they have .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I get that but if the Ukrainians haven't the capacity to take care of prisoners then what options would they have .

Perhaps they pardon a good portion of the Ukraine's prison population on the proviso they fight for the Ukraine and free up some space in the Lukyanivska & the Kyiv garrison guardhouse prisons in Kyiv, and making sure the Russians know they are there, kInda human shields if you will.

They could do this in other cities, being bombarded by Russian artillery.

It has ethical implications, but what the Russian leaders are sanctioning has no ethical or moral justification.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This was really said today. A member of Russian parliament really said that Covid starts in Ukraine and with the US they infected Mice and sent them into Russia

[tweet]1506571419399999489[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here