Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
After what they've done, if I was Ukrainian, POWs would not be on my bloody agenda.

of course they would because they're better.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maybe Renault limos for the Duma?
Actually, I did read somewhere that Renault are in a big joint venture with a local company with many 100s staff involved if they close down. I'm not defending their decision, which still seems bizarre given the French state % ownership :shrug:

Renault owns 2/3rds of the Lada maker, but Russian State owns a share too, not sure the decision is all on Renault. Decathlon however, ******** looking to take advantage of the void left by companies with a conscience.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
medvedev did it

Of course he did.

Screenshot_20220322-202257_Chrome.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That would be a very bad move. What is the point of surrendering if you are going to be shot. You might as well fight to the last bullet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This ! Despite being the " sinned against " its better to capture and not mistreat Russian POW's .....think Italy/ North Africa/ WW2. If you are fighting a cause you don't really believe in and you are ill equipped and demotivated surrender is a good option if you know you are not going to be mistreated.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The POW thing is logistics, which is something we can help with.

It's vehicles with fuel to take them away, probably to the West of Ukraine, food and some sort of temporary facility to keep and process them

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well it may give them alot of prisoners to exchange for the people the b ast ard Russians have taken across the border.

not convinced about that - they'd need a lot of transport and thats something the Russian army is struggling with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was for a while. No longer. Although the terminology has changed. It's 'civilizationalism' that Putin ultimately believes in.
While Putin and China may want to expand their empires, my point is that the larger world is against such expansion, right?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the key thing is it's easy to pummel cities with missiles from a distance. To take, occupy and defend a city requires your own troops to be in that city
Of course, but that's why the Russian playbook we keep hearing about it to keep pummelling and starving a city until they surrender, so they don't have to go in to fight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that was Boris we'd be inundated with accusations and memes by now, Macron seems to get away scott free with his duplicitous behaviour.
Indeed.

Also read yesterday that french retailers are planning to expand in Russia, filling the gap left by other Western companies. No pressure from the government at all to not do it.
Is that a sick joke? Surely this can't be happening?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Because of the uncertainty. It would have been a bit of a bummer for Russia if they had invaded and only then discovered they needed a western vaccine for a nasty variant.

that does make sense. i did always wonder about the timing, after the olympics to keep the chinese sweet, but why not wait till the "campaiging season"? just to make the cold conditions worse for the defending army and people? :shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
While Putin and China may want to expand their empires, my point is that the larger world is against such expansion, right?

It's not the easiest thing to ascertain but, broadly, yes, that seems to be the movement of travel. Don't forget that European countries -- with Britain at the forefront -- engaged in imperial expansion, and those legacies remain very much with us (decolonisation was one of the processes behind that movement of travel). Also don't forget that the US, UK, and the rest of the 'Coalition of the Willing' illegally invaded Iraq, and its actions such as that that enables Putin to claim hypocrisy whenever those in the west morally condemn his fascistic adventurism.

Of course, but that's why the Russian playbook we keep hearing about it to keep pummelling and starving a city until they surrender, so they don't have to go in to fight.

Yes, that is the Russian playbook. I wonder whether the underground bunkers, tube networks, etc provides some respite from that pummelling and starving, and certainly hope that is the case. The point I was making is that when they do try to occupy, pummelling becomes less of an option because there's always the possibility of your own forces. It might seem counter-intuitive but in those now flattened, desperate cities it's when things go quiet that concerns should escalate, because that's the moment that some even more serious pummelling will occur or, probably worse still, chemical weapons are to be deployed (which can kill those underground) -- and that's even worse than F2F combat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here