Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Apologies in advance if this seems too trivial, but I'm posting it anyway.

'Meerkat ads pulled over Ukraine war sensitivities'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60557073

So, Putin invades another country and threatens the world with nuclear war, and we're concerned about fictional meerkats offending Russians.

I don't know what to say.

It’s obviously got nothing to do with offending Russians.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Apologies in advance if this seems too trivial, but I'm posting it anyway.

'Meerkat ads pulled over Ukraine war sensitivities'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60557073

So, Putin invades another country and threatens the world with nuclear war, and we're concerned about fictional meerkats offending Russians.

Ok....... So you think they've been pulled to stop offending Russians ? Really ?

Hang on, ..... the Meerkat adverts have been pulled because they maybe offending Russians ?

You think that ?

You really think that ?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Newly released satellite imagery shows a massive convoy of Russian armour descending on Kyiv.

Pictures taken on Monday, before noon in Ukraine, show Russian military units near Antonov airport, about 27km (17 miles) from the centre of the capital.

According to Maxar Technologies, the satellite-imaging company that released the photos, the convoy is nearly 17 miles long (27km) and "contains hundreds of armoured vehicles, tanks, towed artillery and logistics support vehicles".

To the west and north-west of Kyiv, satellite pictures show destroyed armoured vehicles and a damaged bridge near Irpin and Stoyanka.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I reckon savvy marketeers not wanting their brand to have a hint of Russia about it at the moment.

As you can see, my initial reaction to seeing the ads had been pulled (at least during news bulletins) was WTF?

But you and the others are right. Your comment was the one which resonated the most.

I can see that a grim news bulletin about the war, immediately followed by an advert with Aleksandr Orlov in it, might be the quickest way to do a Ratner.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wouldnt cost that much as not all would do it, maybe just a few, but the desertions would cause panics. I read the the cost to russia is about 20 billion a day.?
If it works, I'd love it - but sorry, I just don't see it. The idea that in a few days 5M rubles [sic] will be worth about 2/6 is lovely, but i doubt it would sink that far. You say 'maybe just a few' - but the only panic that would cause is when they are caught and shot when they try to return home.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Newly released satellite imagery shows a massive convoy of Russian armour descending on Kyiv.

Pictures taken on Monday, before noon in Ukraine, show Russian military units near Antonov airport, about 27km (17 miles) from the centre of the capital.

According to Maxar Technologies, the satellite-imaging company that released the photos, the convoy is nearly 17 miles long (27km) and "contains hundreds of armoured vehicles, tanks, towed artillery and logistics support vehicles".

To the west and north-west of Kyiv, satellite pictures show destroyed armoured vehicles and a damaged bridge near Irpin and Stoyanka.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Very worrying news

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Posted in the Netflix thread but extremely relevant in this one. Winter On Fire: the story of the 2013/14 protests that saw the Ukranian State Police under the orders of pro Russian president Viktor Yanukovych clash repeatedly with protestors. You can see why the resistance in 2022 is so fierce.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm commenting on your analysis of the tweet, not on the precise financials being discussed at heated meetings of the Ukrainian war cabinet.
Well, fair play - you've seen something on Twiiter and believe it's gospel and that my 'analysis' (it wasn't analysis - it was questionning its veracity) is what? - ridiculous because you think different?

I thought its real mate, thats a retweet, its the Ukraine defence minister who tweeted it first GT, its real.
Now looking at it, its not blue ticked maybe its fake!
No comment.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Very worrying news

It is indeed, but regrettably, I think we all need to strap ourselves in for a lot of sobering news in the weeks to come. Either that, or actively ignore it - my wife doesn't want to discuss it, doesn't want to see it on the telly, and doesn't want to hear it on the radio (which means we're not spending a lot of time together at the minute). Most worryingly of all, she's come off Facebook which has understandably been inundated with stories from Ukraine.

Each to their own, my brain won't let me do that, but it's an approach I can understand all the same.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If it works, I'd love it - but sorry, I just don't see it. The idea that in a few days 5M rubles [sic] will be worth about 2/6 is lovely, but i doubt it would sink that far. You say 'maybe just a few' - but the only panic that would cause is when they are caught and shot when they try to return home.

whoooooosh!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is indeed, but regrettably, I think we all need to strap ourselves in for a lot of sobering news in the weeks to come. Either that, or actively ignore it - my wife doesn't want to discuss it, doesn't want to see it on the telly, and doesn't want to hear it on the radio (which means we're not spending a lot of time together at the minute). Most worryingly of all, she's come off Facebook which has understandably been inundated with stories from Ukraine.

Each to their own, my brain won't let me do that, but it's an approach I can understand all the same.

Yep, going full on ostrich has it’s benefits, it’s not as though paying attention and worrying is going to change anything. In this case ignorance is probably better than full on shitting yourself

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hopefully the BBC will be doing its bit and banning songs for the duration of the hostilities.

A list of the offending tunes during the first Gulf War.
I would hope to see all these and more on the updated list.

List

(I Just) Died in Your Arms Cutting Crew 1986
Act of War Elton John and Millie Jackson 1985
Armed and Extremely Dangerous First Choice 1973
Army Dreamers Kate Bush 1980
Atomic Blondie (band) 1979
Back in the U.S.S.R The Beatles 1968
Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today) The Temptations 1970
Bang Bang B. A. Robertson 1979
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) Cher 1966
Billy Don’t Be a Hero Paper Lace 1974
Boom Bang-a-Bang Lulu 1969
Brothers in Arms Dire Straits 1985
Buffalo Soldier Bob Marley and the Wailers 1983
Burning Bridges Status Quo 1988
The End of the World Skeeter Davis 1962
Everybody Wants to Rule the World Tears for Fears 1985
Fields of Fire Big Country 1982
Fire The Crazy World of Arthur Brown 1968
Flash Queen 1980
Fools Rush In Ricky Nelson 1963
Forget Me Not Martha and the Vandellas 1968
Ghost Town The Specials 1981
Gimme Hope Jo’anna Eddy Grant 1988
Give Peace a Chance Plastic Ono Band 1969
Heaven Help Us All Stevie Wonder 1979
Hunting High and Low A-ha 1985
I Don’t Like Mondays The Boomtown Rats 1979
I Don’t Want to Be a Hero Johnny Hates Jazz 1987
I Shot the Sheriff Eric Clapton 1974
I Will Survive Arrival 1980
I’ll Fly for You Spandau Ballet 1984
I’m Gonna Get Me a Gun Cat Stevens 1967
I’m on Fire Bruce Springsteen 1984
Imagine John Lennon 1971
In the Air Tonight Phil Collins 1981
In the Army Now Status Quo 1986
Israelites Desmond Dekker and the Aces 1968
Killer Queen Queen 1974
Killing Me Softly with His Song Roberta Flack 1973
Light My Fire José Feliciano 1968
A Little Peace Nicole 1982
Living on the Front Line Eddy Grant 1979
Love Is a Battlefield Pat Benatar 1983
Midnight at the Oasis Maria Muldaur 1974
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down Joan Baez 1971
Oliver’s Army Elvis Costello 1979
Rubber Bullets 10cc 1973
Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town Kenny Rogers and The First Edition 1969
Sailing Rod Stewart 1972
Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting Elton John 1973
Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground) Mike + The Mechanics 1985
Sixty Eight Guns The Alarm 1983
Soldier of Love Donny Osmond 1989
State of Independence Donna Summer 1982
Stop the Cavalry Jona Lewie 1980
Suicide Is Painless M*A*S*H 1970
Two Tribes Frankie Goes to Hollywood 1984
Under Attack ABBA 1982
A View to Kill Duran Duran 1985
Walk Like an Egyptian The Bangles 1986
War Edwin Starr 1970
War Baby Tom Robinson 1982
Warpaint The Brook Brothers 1961
Waterloo ABBA 1974
We Gotta Get out of This Place The Animals 1965
When I’m Dead and Gone McGuinness Flint 1970
When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going Billy Ocean 1985

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
“Walk like an Egyptian” ?! FFS :facepalm: :lolol:

That has genuinely given me my first proper laugh in the last few days.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, going full on ostrich has it’s benefits, it’s not as though paying attention and worrying is going to change anything. In this case ignorance is probably better than full on shitting yourself

Yes. Trouble is it's like a festering sore - you can't help poking it from time to time. If only it could be confined to the bear pit like the ... err.... B thread, but unfortunately this issue is all too much very, very alive and real in the present. Maybe one day we can lesve it to those who just want to continue arguing about it, but sadly that won't happen for a while, I'm afraid. Dark days ahead

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hopefully the BBC will be doing its bit and banning songs for the duration of the hostilities.

A list of the offending tunes during the first Gulf War.
I would hope to see all these and more on the updated list

I think we should ban Adele’s songs.

Sorry, what war?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here