Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
My daughter will be 6 in July. I thought twice about watching that but did it anyway. I already regret that decision.

As important as it is to see the atrocities that are taking place, if you’re a parent of a young child and are thinking about whether to watch that or not, I would personally say ‘don’t’. Absolutely horrific, and so incredibly sad.

Edit: poor little girl is on the front page of tomorrow’s Times.

That was truly horrific and I wish I'd taken your advice

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My daughter will be 6 in July. I thought twice about watching that but did it anyway. I already regret that decision.

As important as it is to see the atrocities that are taking place, if you’re a parent of a young child and are thinking about whether to watch that or not, I would personally say ‘don’t’. Absolutely horrific, and so incredibly sad.

Thanks for your advice. My son is 6, I won’t be joining you in a sleepless night having made that mistake before with internet videos.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Right now in my wifes city Mariupol, theyre firing on civilian areas with missiles from aircraft. all power gone, multiple deaths being reported.

This is the last moments of a precious young 6 year old girl who went to the supermaket with her parents and was hit by an illegal cluster bomb. If youre squeemish its not nice, a parent harrowing, but people need to see what is happening. This is just one city its happening everywhere. Its genocide

[tweet]1498324943464980480[/tweet]

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europe/gallery/ukraine-girl-killed/index.html

Dark times indeed. Lots of pages in this thread now I hope your wife and any relatives are safely out of there

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Poles have a longstanding community in Balham going all the way back to the second world war. Their shops were a complete godsend to me during the lockdown.

They've been queuing for hours to hand in supplies to send home for Ukrainian refugees. Volunteers are driving them over.

Remarkable.

[tweet]1497955382978879497[/tweet]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The sooner Putin gets out of the killing fields of Ukraine, the better for him.

[Tweet]1498518153818779649[/Tweet]

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Worrying debate on Newsnight just now. Basically saying If Russia brings heavy armour and starts smashing up civilian areas in Cities live on television, there maybe pressure on NATO to introduce a no fly zone, or even attack Russian forces.

Everybody knows what that could mean:nono::nono:

When those convoys of troops & heavy artillery arrive in position, and shelling starts.
It will almost be to late to intervene, death and destruction of the innocent will sit heavy on our shoulders if we watch from the safety of homes and our governments and peace pacts do nothing.

Those long columns of death making their way to slaughter should and could be picked off now.
We can’t let the Ukraine fall, if we do then our children's generation will now nothing but Russian aggression and expansion, they won’t stop at the Ukraine, Moldova, Poland, the Baltic states are all under threat.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2 year old daughter and I definitely couldn't have watched that.

The headlines today and the pictures of that little girl have had me in tears.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When those convoys of troops & heavy artillery arrive in position, and shelling starts.
It will almost be to late to intervene, death and destruction of the innocent will sit heavy on our shoulders if we watch from the safety of homes and our governments and peace pacts do nothing.

Those long columns of death making their way to slaughter should and could be picked off now.
We can’t let the Ukraine fall, if we do then our children's generation will now nothing but Russian aggression and expansion, they won’t stop at the Ukraine, Moldova, Poland, the Baltic states are all under threat.

As long as Putin lives or is in charge of Russia it is inevitable :down:

If NATO gets involved we have a nuclear war, the West is between a rock and a hard place

I am terrified for the people of Kiev, if it doesn’t fall it could well be razed :down:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I feel like Russia are really set to ramp up the attack within the next 24/48hrs. That convoy is said to be 40 miles long, unless that it taken out then Kiev is going to take a hell of a battering, especially if they're using thermobaric weapons as have been reported elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this convoy being reported 40 miles long, and 20 miles north of Kyiv... its stuck isnt it? same place as yesturday. and the rear is probably in Belarus.

that seems to be a theme with the war, stuck the same place it was 2-3 days ago without major advances. read a long analysis that the Russian air force is basically unused and their artillary heavy army isnt really doing anything yet. fear eventually someone will command a more aggressive posutre out of frustration.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1498240437122961409[/tweet]

[tweet]1498244616893747203[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I feel like Russia are really set to ramp up the attack within the next 24/48hrs. That convoy is said to be 40 miles long, unless that it taken out then Kiev is going to take a hell of a battering, especially if they're using thermobaric weapons as have been reported elsewhere.

Terrifying times for the people of Kiev, got an awful feeling Putin is going to do an Aleppo on them. My hope is the Russian army won't have the will to do it, but maybe that is wishful thinking

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More Patel-Propaganda.

“I am committed to ensuring the UK is as generous as possible to the people of Ukraine.”

We’re still awaiting the news that there will be no visa requirements or restrictions on Ukrainian refugees. It’s disgusting that we’re so far behind the EU on this.

Patel's BS flies in the face of her disgraceful Nationality and Borders bill which breaks the 1951 convention on refugees; another breach of International Law (would that be in a limited and specific way???)

Voted down in the HOL yesterday, parliament needs to get a grip and decide what kind of country we want to be

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Terrifying times for the people of Kiev, got an awful feeling Putin is going to do an Aleppo on them. My hope is the Russian army won't have the will to do it, but maybe that is wishful thinking

I’m feeling like this too….it’s looking desperate. Faint hope though that his ill-prepared, disillusioned and unenthusiastic soldiers really don’t want to be there and the level of resistance (the Russians are sitting ducks at the moment in a very large and slow-moving convoy with no air cover) will be such that there’s a better outcome.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think it's vital that we steel ourselves over the coming days. The west (and particularly NATO) must absolutely not get involved. Whatever Putin does.

It may be horrific to see. It might be the hardest thing we ever have to do. But one NATO round kills a Russian in any context and it's Goodnight Vienna for all of us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As long as Putin lives or is in charge of Russia it is inevitable :down:

If NATO gets involved we have a nuclear war, the West is between a rock and a hard place

I am terrified for the people of Kiev, if it doesn’t fall it could well be razed :down:
Sadly this is where we are now.

Cowering away from Putin just buys time.

It is then Putin's choice as to how long that time is.

The more we cower the more bold he becomes.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Sadly this is where we are now.

Cowering away from Putin just buys time.

It is then Putin's choice as to how long that time is.

This is all Putin’s choice. If sufficient evil and sufficient power exist in the same place, there is always a high chance of this happening, no matter what good exists to counter it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think it's vital that we steel ourselves over the coming days. The west (and particularly NATO) must absolutely not get involved. Whatever Putin does.

It may be horrific to see. It might be the hardest thing we ever have to do. But one NATO round kills a Russian in any context and it's Goodnight Vienna for all of us.

NATO will not fire a round, it will however provide arms and intelligence to the Ukraine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here