Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yep. On inspection there are so many conditions and caveats to her “offer” that is makes it laughable. Clearly designed to keep the anti-foreigner voting base on side.

I think the anti-foreigner angle is simply wrong. The average racist wouldn't bat an eyelid at Ukrainian refugees being allowed in.

Preeti is a wrong'un and has either misjudged the mood of the nation or just doesn't care. No way is this going to be popular with Conservative voters whether or not you think the anti-foreigner tag is true! (I don't, but that's a different argument)

She'll get to the right decision in the end once enough pressure is applied.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Right now £34k will bag you 5M Rubles, to buy 200,000 soldiers off would cost £6.8Bn I suspect the cost of fighting 200,000 Russians would be considerably higher, plus loss of life and destruction of infrastructure.

It wouldnt cost that much as not all would do it, maybe just a few, but the desertions would cause panics. I read the the cost to russia is about 20 billion a day.?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Splendid mocking Sunshine - but you haven't come up with even an attempt at estimating exactly what and to to whom they were offering 5M rubles.

OK, say five thousand take up the offer and bugger off home (and will probably be shot). That just leaves 195 thousand (reportedly) left on active service in Ukraine. Problem solved, eh?
Care to offer some smarter conjectural numbers? (you presumably do accept that offering Russian soldiers money to go away isn't much use unless they all - or nearly all - go home?)

I'm commenting on your analysis of the tweet, not on the precise financials being discussed at heated meetings of the Ukrainian war cabinet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Immigration is an extremely sensitive subject for this Government and that’s understandable seeing the way they got elected.

Whilst I applaud what they have currently done, I believe that they should go so much further.

I think that they are misjudging the room, worried that they’ll upset the hard anti-immigration right if they start letting in refugees unconditionally.

The thing is, most refugees are mothers and their children. You’d be hard pressed to find an NSCer who wouldn’t give them a spare room (if they had one) for a few weeks or months. I don’t think the Government is on the right page. Still too many caveats. Perhaps when most have re-settled in the EU, our position will change?

On the other hand, would they look a tad racist if white Ukranian refugees were seen to be much more readily accepted than Syrian, Afghan or Iraqi ones?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The remarkable spirit of the ukrainians. A national road sign printing company has taken to getting involved in the efforts to move road signs around to confuse the Russians. Theyve also started printing "limited edition" war time signs and are putting them up too.

"F*** off "
"F*** off again"
"F*** off back to Russia!

road sign.jpg

And this today, to start putting them up

putin.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the other hand, would they look a tad racist if white Ukranian refugees were seen to be much more readily accepted than Syrian, Afghan or Iraqi ones?

You joke, but there's a serious point here and I waskind of alluding to it in my reply to Clamp.

There's a security risk associated with all the counties you mention because they all contain Jihaddists who want to enter and attack Europeans. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't the case with Ukraine.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Splendid mocking Sunshine - but you haven't come up with even an attempt at estimating exactly what and to to whom they were offering 5M rubles.

OK, say five thousand take up the offer and bugger off home (and will probably be shot). That just leaves 195 thousand (reportedly) left on active service in Ukraine. Problem solved, eh?
Care to offer some smarter conjectural numbers? (you presumably do accept that offering Russian soldiers money to go away isn't much use unless they all - or nearly all - go home?)

do you ever debate the actual point?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Apologies in advance if this seems too trivial, but I'm posting it anyway.

'Meerkat ads pulled over Ukraine war sensitivities'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60557073

So, Putin invades another country and threatens the world with nuclear war, and we're concerned about fictional meerkats offending Russians.

I don't know what to say.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You joke, but there's a serious point here and I waskind of alluding to it in my reply to Clamp.

There's a security risk associated with all the counties you mention because they all contain Jihaddists who want to enter and attack Europeans. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't the case with Ukraine.

they are sneaky blighters tho'

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
First it was Brexit. Then it was Coronavirus. Now it’s the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and whatever that may spiral into. Each episode more depressing than the last, and each one having you pining for the simpler times that went before.

If we do manage to avert WW3, anyone got any money on an alien invasion being up next?

Your omission of Mrs Browns Boys is telling, are you a fan?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I thought the jihaddis would be fighting in Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

So, Putin invades another country and threatens the world with nuclear war, and we're concerned about fictional meerkats offending Russians.

I reckon savvy marketeers not wanting their brand to have a hint of Russia about it at the moment.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

So should they have continued with it?

Cheap shot!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's not "we are concerned" though is it and they haven't been pulled for offence to Russians. Since one at least is a parody of and/or influenced by Russian Oligarchs living in the UK, the company have decided not place the adverts around News Bulletins.

Simples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here