Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Russia hardly Communist these days, rather more of a Fascist Regime?

I was discussing the conflict with my 10 year son earlier. There’s been a lot of talk at school about WW3, nuclear war, invasions etc and I wanted to reassure him a bit. He asked why other nations did things like this so I tried to explain a bit how they run their countries and decided to finish with an upbeat, optimistic message.

“Never forget how lucky you are to have been born in country where you are free and if you work hard, make good choices and contribute, there’s no reason why you can’t be anything you want to be.”
He thought for a moment then said “Can I be a shark?”

FFS :facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree. It was looking like China were implicitly siding with Russia. If that's not how it plays out, it will indeed be a huge diplomatic moment imo.

China have abstained in the vote.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
[tweet]1497345957230522369[/tweet]

Could be a massive loss of Russian life here.Size of a C17

FMeljtfWYAshCpY.jpg

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lot of talk this evening that China is set to abstain from the vote against Russia at the UN. It will be vetoed by Russia, obviously, but looks like Moscow is increasingly isolated and fears of a Beijing - Moscow alliance look somewhat dashed. This is potentially a huge diplomatic moment.

Would you be able to explain to me why they drafted this resolution and held a vote when it was always going to be vetoed by the Russians? Was it purely to make this diplomatic point?

Sorry if I’ve missed something obvious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would you be able to explain to me why they drafted this resolution and held a vote when it was always going to be vetoed by the Russians? Was it purely to make this diplomatic point?

100% performative, purely designed to highlight to Russia that everyone thinks they’re dicks. It’s clearly worked as it’s given China the chance to emphasise they aren’t on board with Moscow. That in turn will embolden the US and others to act.

It’s a bit like a vote of no confidence in the Commons. Usually the Govt wins but it’s embarrassing if they don’t keep all their MPs on side.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can someone explain to a simpleton like me why UAE & India abstained!

India, like China, has some relations with Moscow and they might have been hoping for their support. It’s less blunt than a vote against, but in many ways your friends not backing you is more of a powerful statement than your enemies attacking you. Clearly India have no desire to back Russia at this time.

Don’t know enough about the UAE and their international stance, but there’s plenty of western money there as well as Russian money, so they’re probably trying to stay out of things. The Switzerland role.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i gather thats largely the purpose of UN.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This…..

…is much bigger than this.

Holy ****.

A dark day for Russia. None of this loss of life needed to happen. None of it. Ultimately, only one person is culpable. Let's see if he shoulders the responsibility.

How will Putin react? Try to hide it in a mobile crematorium? Blame someone else? He needs to think very, very carefully over his response.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
As well as his brother Wladimir, and Oleksandr Usyk.
Just incredible heart.
Absolute admiration and hope for them.

Make no mistake, this is absolutely incredible. Astonishingly brave.

We are talking here about multi-millionaires with fantastic lifestyles. With wives, with children. They have the ability to exist, with or without the sovereignty of their nation. They have no need to do this. All could have been on a private jet days ago. If it is true that Usyk is actively fighting, it is even more incredible - he’s proactively travelled back to his home country when many are understandably trying to flee.

They have balls bigger than I will ever own. I couldn’t have more respect, or hope for them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here