Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Also, feel reasonably confident Putins plan is to try and reinstall the deposed dictator from Maidan Viktor Yanukovich.

I thought a few weeks ago, Putin may try this and claim he was restoring Ukraine's rightful president removed in a coup, Mrs laughed at me, but tonight I saw it mentioned on a Russian speaking site speculating that is Putin's plan.

And just flown back into Ukraine the day before the missiles started on 23rd, Rinat Ahmetov, Ukraine's richest oligarch, owner of Shakthur Donetsk and the man behind and who put Yanukovych in power, plus Viktor Pinchuk, another pro Russian Yanukovich supporting Oligarch.

I don't think it's coincidence. The deposed former president who was extracted to Russia after the popular uprising will be Putin's puppet again, and Putin will claim he's restoring a rightful leader.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Also, feel reasonably confident Putins plan is to try and reinstall the deposed dictator from Maidan Viktor Yanukovich.

I thought a few weeks ago, Putin may try this and claim he was restoring Ukraine's rightful president removed in a coup, Mrs laughed at me, but tonight I saw it mentioned on a Russian speaking site speculating that is Putin's plan.

And just flown back into Ukraine the day before the missiles started on 23rd, Rinat Ahmetov, Ukraine's richest oligarch, owner of Shakthur Donetsk and the man behind and who put Yanukovych in power, plus Viktor Pinchuk, another pro Russian Yanukovich supporting Oligarch.

I don't think it's coincidence. The deposed former president who was extracted to Russia after the popular uprising will be Putin's puppet again, and Putin will claim he's restoring a rightful leader.

The 'install a puppet government' end game has seemed clear for a while. But I'm starting to wonder how it can work? Ukraine seems so gripped on patriotic fervour now, one can't imagine the current army or police protecting them. How do they rule? When the Russians go home, what stops all the Ukrainians marching into Parliament and kicking them out?

I guess the Russians can't go home :shrug:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The 'install a puppet government' end game has seemed clear for a while. But I'm starting to wonder how it can work? Ukraine seems so gripped on patriotic fervour now, one can't imagine the current army or police protecting them. How do they rule? When the Russians go home, what stops all the Ukrainians marching into Parliament and kicking them out?

I guess the Russians can't go home :shrug:

But, but, but, Putin said they wouldn't be occupying, and he's a man of his word.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was discussing the conflict with my 10 year son earlier. There’s been a lot of talk at school about WW3, nuclear war, invasions etc and I wanted to reassure him a bit. He asked why other nations did things like this so I tried to explain a bit how they run their countries and decided to finish with an upbeat, optimistic message.

“Never forget how lucky you are to have been born in country where you are free and if you work hard, make good choices and contribute, there’s no reason why you can’t be anything you want to be.”
He thought for a moment then said “Can I be a shark?”

FFS :facepalm:

With the advancement of the metaverse, I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to live life as shark in future. Good luck to him :)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Impressive leadership, to say the least.

[tweet]1497274471836758018[/tweet]

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Russian troops have captured the city of Melitopol in Ukraine’s southeastern Zaporizhzhya region, Russia’s Interfax news agency cited the Russian defence ministry as saying on Saturday.

The ministry also said Russia has used air- and ship-based cruise missiles to carry out overnight strikes on military targets in Ukraine.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe it’s just me, but this coverage is pathetic and seems like sports coverage, maybe I’m getting old, just seems very crass & cheap.

https://youtu.be/devFMPdrlkY

Putting aside the crassness of the reporting style, it's disturbing, when put along side India's abstention last night at the UN, the fact they put the word enemy in inverted commas.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was discussing the conflict with my 10 year son earlier. There’s been a lot of talk at school about WW3, nuclear war, invasions etc and I wanted to reassure him a bit. He asked why other nations did things like this so I tried to explain a bit how they run their countries and decided to finish with an upbeat, optimistic message.

“Never forget how lucky you are to have been born in country where you are free and if you work hard, make good choices and contribute, there’s no reason why you can’t be anything you want to be.”
He thought for a moment then said “Can I be a shark?”

FFS :facepalm:

Without wishing to distract from the seriousness of the thread, this reminds me of a story recounted to me by my now ex-wife many years ago - she is a primary school teacher to put some context around it.

She was sorting out getting the Naivety Play planned for the school. She had gathered her class together and asked what part everyone wanted to play :

"I'd like to play Mary" - "That's nice - OK"
"I'd like to be a sheep" - "Great, we need a number of sheep"
"I'd like to be a King" - "Good - obviously there can only be three Kings"
"I'd like to be the radiator" - "I'm sorry ?" - "I'd like to be the radiator" - "I don't think there were any radiators around when Jesus was born" - "There's always a radiator Miss" ........

..... turns out he meant Narrator ! :facepalm:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
35 people including two children have been killed in the heavy fighting overnight in Kyiv, according to the city’s mayor. No further details were available, but in a separate report from Reuters citing an interior ministry advisor, there were no deaths in the apartment block reportedly hit by a Russian missile.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You've got to admit he's played a blinder and taken us for fools the past 20 years, as always money and glamour talks.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Breaking on the sky news live ticker.

Kazakhstan rejects Russian request for troops
Kazakhstan, one of Russia's closest allies and a southern neighbour, is denying a request for its troops to join the offensive in Ukraine, our US partner NBC reports.

The former Soviet republic also said it is not recognising the Russia-created breakaway republics upheld by Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, as a pretext for its aggression in Ukraine.

Despite ceasefire accords covering the disputed land, Mr Putin declared Russia's recognition of Luhansk People's Republic (LNR) and the Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) as independent states on Monday.

The surprising development from a traditional ally of Russia has the support of the United States.

"We welcome Kazakhstan’s announcement that they will not recognize the LPR and DPR," the National Security Council said in a statement. "We also welcome Kazakhstan’s refusal to send its forces to join Putin's war in Ukraine."

I think a number of ex soviet states are having trust issues with Putin.
The fact that Kiev still hasn’t fallen isn’t doing his standing any good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Can you imagine Boris doing the same? Not in a million years.

Hats off to the gentleman

I can't think of many that would. If the shoes were on the other foot, where would Putin be hiding? I read somewhere that he was pre recording everything and was hiding in an underground bunker...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Western leaders fear Vladimir Putin could unleash devastating thermobaric rockets on Ukraine after fierce resistance slowed the Russian army's advance, The Telegraph can disclose.

Western officials on Friday briefed their serious concern that Mr Putin would order the deployment of thermobaric weapons, which can reduce cities to rubble and would cause huge loss of life.

Thermobaric missiles contain a highly explosive fuel and chemical mix and send out supersonic blast waves that can rip buildings and bodies apart. Officials said their use would cause "indiscriminate violence".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here