Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
SWIFT for starters to essentially cut them out of worldwide money transmission, but that’s not down to Boris (alone) by a very long way.

When they tried this with Iran wasn't it felt that it only targetted smaller fish and not the big boys?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's going to be difficult for them to take those buildings with them once they and their businesses are expelled and shutdown...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree, and sanctions will have little impact

Need a property overseas property register or are we going to just carry on being a dark money haven?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Starmer saying sanctions could go further, so what's Boris playing at?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

has he changed mind since yesturday or is that based on old info? fact is there's currently no international agreement on further sanctions.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
BREAKING: Russia’s forces have entered the Obolon district in Kyiv, where the Ukrainian military is currently fighting them. Ukraine’s Defense Ministry ask residents not to leave their house and prepare Molotov cocktails. The district is approximately 10 km from central Kyiv.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s a Belgian company so under EU jurisdiction. We can do a lot more on Russian assets in the UK but I’m not sure we can do much about Swift.

There must be some really tricky legal obstacles to get over before you can start seizing private assets. It sounds great that we should be just freezing bank accounts, taking property, but as we are under a rule of law, I wonder what the actual burden of proof is that an individual has enough connections to the regime to justify this process? I don't know, it just sounds to me that it's an impressive thing to say, but in practice I have no idea how easy it would be through the courts to actually do it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
SKS on BBC Breakfast - wants SWIFT now and Russian money removed from UK Economy just as he said yesterday in parliament. Couldn't answer what the implications on the UK economy would be though. No wonder people turn to Twitter and the like for answers when neither the government or opposition can back up their arguments with facts.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It’s a Belgian company so under EU jurisdiction. We can do a lot more on Russian assets in the UK but I’m not sure we can do much about Swift.

Swift is one where unless everyone agrees to do it, it would be pointless. If they were banned from using it they would lose roughy 5-6% of there GDP which is a heavy hit but only if everyone does it. It’s a Belgium company but it’s more about refusing to deal with them on the system worldwide. Issue is for Europe especially Germany and a few others it’s used to buy gas and oil and would affect them just as much. Biden, even Boris were for it but 3/4 European nations are not and it has less impact if some refuse.

Sad world to a point we live in that countries are looking at economies over peoples lives but that is reality when it comes to the swift system.

Putin knows this and he knows how reliant Europe has made itself for his gas and oil. All these sanctions work to a point but we are countering it by buying more gas and oil than ever incase it all goes tits up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There must be some really tricky legal obstacles to get over before you can start seizing private assets. It sounds great that we should be just freezing bank accounts, taking property, but as we are under a rule of law, I wonder what the actual burden of proof is that an individual has enough connections to the regime to justify this process? I don't know, it just sounds to me that it's an impressive thing to say, but in practice I have no idea how easy it would be through the courts to actually do it.

people seem to have bought in to a myth that Russia can only operate with help from Russians setting up business abroad. keep hearing how shell companies funnel money to the Kremlin. this ignores Russia is a large nation in control of its own resources, government and military. Putin doesnt need a ex-KGB man in London to get him a new Rolex, he orders one from Rolex website and DHL will deliver. there are banks and public companies across world funding and trading with the Russian banks and companies, all known, documented and legally OK. its outright weird that people obsess about overseas companies and properties of Russians, as if we cant believe or accept they became wealthy.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m not sure there is any burden of proof required for Governments. I used to work in the City and had regular training in AML and received lists of banned individuals and jurisdictions. The consequences of breaking these rules were made very clear. I don’t recall legal challenges to any of these rules. Perhaps any AML experts on here can correct me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
However, it has been reported this morning that the Russians haven't succeeded with any of its Day 1 objectives .... it may be a temporary blip for them, but Russian casualties are > 500 so far, probably not a story most of us expected.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

General David Petraeus on Newsnight was of a similar opinion last night.

[tweet]1496983069999484938[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
SKS on BBC Breakfast - wants SWIFT now and Russian money removed from UK Economy just as he said yesterday in parliament. Couldn't answer what the implications on the UK economy would be though. No wonder people turn to Twitter and the like for answers when neither the government or opposition can back up their arguments with facts.

If it's the right thing to do there is an argument to say that we shouldn't worry too much about what it does to the economy. I'm sure the energy companies have lost a fair amount of money during the current blackouts in Ukranian cities, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m not sure there is any burden of proof required for Governments. I used to work in the City and had regular training in AML and received lists of banned individuals and jurisdictions. The consequences of breaking these rules were made very clear. I don’t recall legal challenges to any of these rules. Perhaps any AML experts on here can correct me.

You’d be surprised that there really isn’t a threshold, most financial sanctions are drafted at an national interest level and are therefore very easy to legislate quickly.

Any person, entity, bank account or country can be subject to sanctions without charges being laid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here