Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
So what actually happens, is it that their assets are frozen, remaining their property but unable to use or access (whether money or physical property), or is there an actual process where assets are seized completely and effectively become the property of the UK treasury?

Bank Accounts are frozen so no credits or debits can be made. Equally earned interest (not charged) is frozen.

Depending on the regime that has sanctioned you need a license from OFSI in the uk to transact, this can be given or denied. Can get complicated if more than one regime sanctions the same person, you would need a license with each regime

Property is frozen as an asset ie cannot sell or raise capital against. The occupant could continue to live there. The only way for the owner to surrender the property / assets would be to be served with a confiscation order, where proceeds of crime have been proven or to pass reasonable doubt (see unexplained wealth orders)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Thank you. I remember you saying you worked in this area.

No problem, we often work in the shadows but these things escalate from time to time!

I am currently dealing with the wife of an African Brigadier General who despite his modest salary seems to have acquired a multi millionaire property over here. Shocking how lax some firms / standards are over here!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Ukraine's Defence Force has just tweeted again, calling for all civilians to join regardless of their age - even if they're minors, presumably.

The statement, attributed to the Commander of Troops, Yuri Galushkin, reads:

"Today, Ukraine needs everything. All procedures for joining are simplified.

"Bring only your passport and identification number.

"There are no age restrictions."It tells people if they face problems signing up, they just need to refer to this official tweet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

What a world we live in when this is necessary. Lord above.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Whether part of a political union or not, getting however many countries to agree is never easy. I suspect it would be even more difficult if all the countries were outside a political union than in it.

They are outside a political union, this is a quasi political union.... And this problem.(whilst admittedly faster thus time), has shown up in numerous crisis where swift decisive action is needed....excuse the non intended pun.

Full EU political union and a federal executive is needed at times like these.

EU needs to drop pretence and finish what it started..... All in with a single executive is where the EU can make tough calls without a national self interest tail that wags the dog.

This half way house works on many levels, it's exposed badly in major times of crisis

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
They are outside a political union, this is a quasi political union.... And this problem.(whilst admittedly faster thus time), has shown up in numerous crisis where swift decisive action is needed....excuse the non intended pun.

EU needs to drop pretence and finish what it started..... All in with a single executive is where the EU can make tough calls without a national self interest tail that wags the dog.

This half way house works on many levels, it's exposed badly in major times of crisis

Come on mate, you were asking people to stop the political point scoring yesterday. Don't get into it yourself today.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
What a world we live in when this is necessary. Lord above.

It's bleak and heartbreaking beyond words. The Ukranian interior ministry is posting notices for citizens on how to make a molotov cocktail too. They are expecting the worst and it's unimaginably awful.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Come on mate, you were asking people to stop the political point scoring yesterday. Don't get into it yourself today.

There is none there RT.

I make no comment about UK and EU. It's a direct reference to difficulties in getting agreement on the issue of swift

I just said the EU works well in many areas, but has difficulty in unanimity in major crisis and would be better once it has full political integration.

Is that cheap point scoring? Or directly relevant?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm sorry but I don't see what your oft published opinions on the executive of the EU have to do with the ongoing situation in the Ukraine ?

Let's get back on topic :thumbsup:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
There is none there RT.

I make no comment about UK and EU. It's a direct reference to difficulties in getting agreement on the issue of swift

I just said the EU works well in many areas, but has difficulty in unanimity in major crisis and would be better once it has full political integration.

Is that cheap point scoring? Or directly relevant?

Outside of a political union these countries could still be vetoing the decision. At least within the current EU structures some trade off could be made to bring them round. Outside that might not be quite as possible.

But you are right, you were pretty fair. The EU has given me a lot in my life, I am probably just being overly protective.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What's this US tanker doing ?
kc.png

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When things start to get us British down, what do we usually resort to...

UK RAISES ALERT LEVEL
The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent Russian threats and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. The Russians have been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s Get the ********.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France’s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country’s military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we’ll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm sorry but I don't see what your oft published opinions on the executive of the EU have to do with the ongoing situation in the Ukraine ?

Let's get back on topic :thumbsup:

To be fair I think PW was just pointing out that there are huge difficulties in getting agreement on the issue of swift within the EU members.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Russia will expand trade with Asia to minimise economic effect of sanctions
Russia’s ministry for the economy said it is working on measures to minimise the impact of the sanctions imposed by western countries following the invasion of Ukraine.

The ministry said this will include plans to expand trade and economic ties with Asia, Reuters reports.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Russia will expand trade with Asia to minimise economic effect of sanctions
Russia’s ministry for the economy said it is working on measures to minimise the impact of the sanctions imposed by western countries following the invasion of Ukraine.

The ministry said this will include plans to expand trade and economic ties with Asia, Reuters reports.

Even more reason to go for nuclear option today.

He's saved for the expected sanctions, he's ready to spend 500 billion to offset them and slowly pivot east and to China. He'll lose money, re-orientate but survive.

Like being shot with a paintball gun, what we do now will sting, make your clothes messy, cause some bruises but won't kill you or put you on your arse.

Swift will be a sledgehammer to the head. Send the Russian economy into an almost instant death spiral and I'd guess the pressure from within Russia would quickly mount.

He's banking and planned on us not going that far, and we're fulfilling it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here