Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all

I've not commented on this thread thus far. All I can say is that over the last few days I have gone from disgust to sheer rage in regard to this situation. How can this be happening in the 21st century?

I don't normally agree with military action but I can only see one way to stop this and that would be to take Putin out now!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Outside of a political union these countries could still be vetoing the decision. At least within the current EU structures some trade off could be made to bring them round. Outside that might not be quite as possible.

But you are right, you were pretty fair. The EU has given me a lot in my life, I am probably just being overly protective.

I agree. The EU is only relevant in the context of financial oversight. Lots of assumptions made on this thread yesterday about the UK Government. It would be best not to pre judge the Europeans either and definitely not the EU.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I'm not an expert, but this article kind of reflects what the Germans where saying is a balance between damaging Russia and damaging yourself and no doubt swift would damage us.

But I don't personally think our present sanctions will do anything except make things a bit tougher and eat a portion of the rainy day fund.

I still think the potential shock in Russia (accepting we too will get one) may be the only thing that could place enough pressure from within Russia to stop this lunatic.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You may not understand Russian, but these are final words of 13 brave Ukrainian border guards posted in snake island in the black sea off Odessa. They were gunned down immediately after.

The first exchange is the Russians telling them we are the Russian navy, give up now, surrender to us etc.

After the pause.

The guy with the girl privately says "this is it"

He then broadcasts back.

Russian naval ship, go f*** yourself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
India is exploring ways to set up a rupee payment mechanism for trade with Russia to soften the blow on New Delhi of Western sanctions imposed on Russia.

Reuters reports that government and banking sources said Indian officials aere concerned that vital supplies of fertilizer from Russia could be disrupted as sanctions intensify, threatening India’s vast farm sector.

India has called for an end to violence in Ukraine but refrained from outright condemnation of Russia, with which it has long-standing political and security ties.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If it's the right thing to do there is an argument to say that we shouldn't worry too much about what it does to the economy. I'm sure the energy companies have lost a fair amount of money during the current blackouts in Ukranian cities, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

It may well be the right thing to do but SKS cannot counter a vague government by being equally vague if he wants to come across as the statesman/leader that he obviously aspires to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't watch him anymore, the stream of lies just makes my blood boil.
It's better for my health that I don't listen to any of them.

Genuinely, this is EXACTLY how I feel about our own Prime Minister.

Zero trust, and as such zero faith in him to make a single strong, sensible decision on any course of action, unhindered by either ego or self-interest.

What a ****ing DESPERATE state of affairs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hi all

I don't normally agree with military action but I can only see one way to stop this and that would be to take Putin out now!

I don’t think you’ve thought that through properly :shrug:

One foot on NATO soil and you may get your wish….whilst you kiss your arse goodbye

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking at a few reports it seems resistance to the invasion is faltering, Russians already reported in Kyiv suburbs.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Genuinely, this is EXACTLY how I feel about our own Prime Minister.

Zero trust, and as such zero faith in him to make a single strong, sensible decision on any course of action, unhindered by either ego or self-interest.

What a ****ing DESPERATE state of affairs.

Perhaps the desperate state of affairs arises from the equating of Boris Johnson with Sergei Lavrov. Let’s keep things in perspective on this and every other thread. Political debate will improve considerably.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

One foot on NATO soil and you may get your wish….whilst you kiss your arse goodbye

so taking him out is off the table unless he invades a NATO participating county end of?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Perhaps none of us have thought it through properly.

Nothing - absolutely - nothing has worked so far. Efforts to stop the annexation of Crimea didn't work. Sanctions to punish Russia afterwards, didn't stop them. They still fomented unrest in Donetsk and Luhansk. They've been planning this invasion for years. None of our efforts worked. Not diplomacy. Not sanctions.

I don't know what the answer is.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
load the borders to ukraine with the biggest army the world has ever witnessed. Strong rhetoric advising the consequences if push further. Show the force

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Defence Minister has just said in the commons that there would have been tough questions being asked in the Kremlin last night as, based upon intelligence received, Russia's progress is nothing like as good as they thought it would be.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
load the borders to ukraine with the biggest army the world has ever witnessed. Strong rhetoric advising the consequences if push further. Show the force

This.

It's proven over time. The only thing that works with Russia is overwhelming shows of force.

They don't reason, you cannot trust them, they will try and scare/intimidate you.

But if you stand up and face them down, they have backed down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps none of us have thought it through properly.

Nothing - absolutely - nothing has worked so far. Efforts to stop the annexation of Crimea didn't work. Sanctions to punish Russia afterwards, didn't stop them. They still fomented unrest in Donetsk and Luhansk. They've been planning this invasion for years. None of our efforts worked. Not diplomacy. Not sanctions.

I don't know what the answer is.

Nor do I but I have a good idea what will happen if we put troops on the ground in Ukraine. Not sure I am up to WW3 at the moment. We have to explore all other actions first, and no I don’t know what they should be either other than what is being done at the moment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here