Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Hostomel news (if accurate) suggests clever game plans from the Ukrainian military, cede territory of little comparative value and focus on the big ticket items. Could really frustrate the Russians.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting analysis from the BBC correspondent on the 10 o’clock news.

Paraphrasing, but the gist was that after 20+ years in power leaders begin to believe they are infallible and that is when they begin to make mistakes. But he is picking up on a real sense of unease amongst ordinary Russians about invading Ukraine and concluded his dispatch with the line, “Could this be President Putin’s fatal mistake?”

I’m guessing he chose his words carefully…

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It looks like a fair few Russian tanks and support vehicles have been disabled/destroyed if updates on Instagram are to be taken at face value

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It looks like a fair few Russian tanks and support vehicles have been disabled/destroyed if updates on Instagram are to be taken at face value

I should imagine there will be plenty of UK and US special forces on the ground in Ukrainian uniforms, ****ing them up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Paraphrasing, but the gist was that after 20+ years in power leaders begin to believe they are infallible. But he is picking up on a real sense of unease amongst ordinary Russians about invading Ukraine and concluded his dispatch with the line, “Could this be President Putin’s fatal mistake?”

We’ve seen it over here too. Thatcher and Blair both ended up swallowing their own hype and ended up going somewhat crazy, fortunately we live in a country where people who get like that get ousted, either by their foes or, more often, their “friends”. To go unchallenged for two decades (bar a short gap with a puppet leader) must lead to some sort of madness.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ex Sussex cricketer Imran Kahn met Putin today re the gas pipeline to Pakistan.
The new world order continues at speed

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's very kind.

In a nutshell, it is just innuendo, and it uses false tropes. Akin to the 'Zaire rebels' back in the day who carried out a massacre, 'their faces bloated with cannabis', when, anyone who has ever had a toof knows, the very last thing on your mind would be 'lads, let's tool up and go on a rampage' :lolol: ???
:thumbsup:

Indeed.

I am probably guilty of wishful thinking - wanting to find a valid reason to explain his actions of invading a peaceful neighbour, completely unprovoked.

I find the reality hard to come to terms with - that he is pure evil. Cold and calculating. No empathy. No fear. No understanding of, or not bothered about the consequences.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Paraphrasing, but the gist was that after 20+ years in power leaders begin to believe they are infallible and that is when they begin to make mistakes. But he is picking up on a real sense of unease amongst ordinary Russians about invading Ukraine and concluded his dispatch with the line, “Could this be President Putin’s fatal mistake?”

That resonated with me too from earlier edition this evening. My thoughts captured further back in thread ie Dictators develop messiah complex, create a court of acclaim founded on deceit and lies > no crony can then trust another, same across entire nation, even close friends and family cannot be trusted > everyone in fear of their lives > complicity and demonstrable support for “the great leader” becomes normalised > remains in power, nearly impossible to overthrow. Essentially this is the core of how to run a dictatorship manual.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Only way is for millions to hit the streets

Yep.

44 million citizens. if just 5 million pick up arms thats 5 million citizens plus the army.

It was always obvious Russia would have the upper hand at the start, I hope the citizens fight hand to hand and pick them off 1 at a time

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That resonated with me too from earlier edition this evening. My thoughts captured further back in thread ie Dictators develop messiah complex, create a court of acclaim founded on deceit and lies > no crony can then trust another, same across entire nation, even close friends and family cannot be trusted > everyone in fear of their lives > complicity and demonstrable support for “the great leader” becomes normalised > remains in power, nearly impossible to overthrow. Essentially this is the core of how to run a dictatorship manual.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/over-150-russian-officials-condemn-ukraine-invasion

over 1700 arrested also protesting in Russia. I pray this is the beginning of the end of this disgusting individual

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The Hostomel news (if accurate) suggests clever game plans from the Ukrainian military, cede territory of little comparative value and focus on the big ticket items. Could really frustrate the Russians.

I havent the first idea about military strategy, but it would make sense.... if the Russians planned to use the airfield as a staging post, to totally destroy and bomb the runways and get the troops out again and hidden before more russian air strikes come.

Also to mine the roads from Belarus?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I should imagine there will be plenty of UK and US special forces on the ground in Ukrainian uniforms, ****ing them up.

Bloody hope so mate.... "Theyre just volunteers and tourists"....... just like Putin claimed in Donbass

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

It will be a long, long haul for the Russians if the SAS are in there. They'll take a huge number of those c****s out before
they've finished.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'More than 1,700 arrested in anti-war Russia protests' - BBC website.

Brave people. Rise up!

Putin has demonised the Russian people in the eyes of the world, and the Russian people don't like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here