Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
What's the best way of making sure no one attacks? A nuclear response.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

President Biden has reiterated that US forces "are not, and will not" be engaged in the conflict with Russia in Ukraine.

"Our forces are not going to Europe to fight in Ukraine, but to defend our Nato allies and reassure those allies in the east," he says. "The United States will defend every inch of Nato territory with the full force of American power."

He also says he believes that Putin’s intention is to reunite the former Soviet Union. Given that three of those countries are now NATO members, that would clearly be a problem should that be the case and he decides to go through with it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Watching NDTV (Indian news channel) and the ambassador to Delhi has just said there’s no Russian troops in Ukraine. I mean…
Can you imagine an alliance between Russia, China, India, North Korea plus others...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
He also says he believes that Putin’s intention is to reunite the former Soviet Union. Given that three of those countries are now NATO members, that would clearly be a problem should that be the case and he decides to go through with it.
If those three countries suddenly leave NATO, or choose to join Russia, on the other hand...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
@HWT, may I have your opinion on something?

I came across this on my travels:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...n-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/

A Pentagon study dating back to 2008 suggests that Putin may have Asperger's. What do you make of it?

I taught in an SEN school and had one class all with a diagnosis of Asperger’s. They were all as different from one another as any of my mainstream classes. You also can’t make diagnoses without the presence of the subject. I would take that article with a pinch of salt.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Joe Biden says cutting Russia off from the global Swift banking system is not being proposed "right now".

He says the sanctions already proposed on all the banks are of equal consequence and perhaps even exceed banning Russia from Swift.

"Let's have a conversation in another month or so to see if they're working," he says.

He says the move "is always an option but right now it's not the position the rest of Europe wishes to take."

UK PM Boris Johnson said earlier there was a potential to use Swift as a sanction and "nothing is off the table".

Ukraine are furious.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Most autistic people do not want to be the centre of attention at all. Everyone is different but I doubt that he is autistic. Seems like a narcissist to me, not an autistic trait at all.

If you read the report, which goes into the most extraordinary detail, you will see that is how they advise people to interact with him.

'If you need to do things with him, you don't want to be in a big state affair but more of one-on-one situation someplace somewhere quiet'.

The most interesting piece for me, is this:

'Both reports, the 2008 study of Putin and a 2011 analysis of Putin and then-President Dimitry Medvedev, cite Putin's physical difficulties as shaping his decision making and behavior. "His primary form of compensation is extreme control," which "is reflected in his decision style and how he governs,".

Think back to the video of his security council meeting, with them all in a semi-circle in front of him, and him at his desk a long way away. That was extreme control.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
BBC Russia experts and academics tonight on R5 all said the effect of sanctions would not be immediate, but if unified would have a huge adverse effect on Russia within months.

Could you even imagine what a taskforce to stop Russian State supported investments/influence/power, with no political interference/direction/veto could do in the UK alone ?

Of course not, because it will never happen. But the problems are definitely everywhere else. And meanwhile kids die :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you trust the media yes... I dont.

I trust some media. I trust some reporters on the ground. Not all media is bad. You just have to stick with historically reliable sources.
Anyway, if I’m going to debate the realities of this situation, it won’t be with you. No offence but you’re something of a space cadet :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most autistic people do not want to be the centre of attention at all. Everyone is different but I doubt that he is autistic. Seems like a narcissist to me, not an autistic trait at all.

This is afaik the only longer interview made by international media with Vladimir Putin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbY0VpyjtuI

I dont think he has the classical set of flaws, and I doubt you can be autistic and lead Russia for 20+ years.

People laughed at Donald Trump because he is so obviously incompetent and narcissistic. They laughed at Jeltsin because he was a drunk. They laugh at Boris because he is so insecure. Similar could be said for a bunch of other leaders.

I dont think this is the case with Xi or Vlad. I think they are two very intelligent, sane and patient men, playing the long game and that this is - subconsciously perhaps - why people are afraid of them. If we exclude the whole good or bad thing and just look at competence and intelligence, they are on a different planet than most western leaders. Invading Ukraine is not some kind of impulsive decision, it is carefully planned.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I taught in an SEN school and had one class all with a diagnosis of Asperger’s. They were all as different from one another as any of my mainstream classes. You also can’t make diagnoses without the presence of the subject. I would take that article with a pinch of salt.

I take your point in that they are all different. But how do you know how asperger's manifests itself when they grow into adults? I certainly don't.

Neither do I know if you can make a diagnosis of asperger's at a distance. How are you so sure you can't?

The Pentagon will have a library of material, with many, many videos on Putin. How close to the subject do you need to be to make a diagnosis?

Do you understand what I'm doing? I'm not claiming that Putin has got asperger's. I'm claiming that it is more likely than not, that the report is being revisited right now.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just back home after a very turbulent day in the financial markets.

All things Russian have been absolutely smacked. It’s going to take a long time for them to recover from this. Sure they have plenty of financial reserves but with no ability to raise debt for any Russian company and banks denied access to foreign currency, this will really hurt them.

The average Russian in the street is really going to suffer - and that’s outside all the needless death he’s causing in Ukraine.

As one of our economists said on the morning call: “He’s brought Russia up from its bootstraps, how could he be so stupid?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I guess you never read 1984. If you expect the Russian proles to lift a tiny finger against Putin, you're having a laugh.

The middle class intelligensia with their liberal mores, on the other hand, are already standing outside the government building in St Petersburg. Later they will be arrested and persecuted, and one or two proles may raise an eyebrow.

I would absolutely love it to be proven wrong, by the way. Love it.

Yeah, I live in hope that millions of them pack the streets but am not holding my breath.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just back home after a very turbulent day in the financial markets.

All things Russian have been absolutely smacked. It’s going to take a long time for them to recover from this. Sure they have plenty of financial reserves but with no ability to raise debt for any Russian company and banks denied access to foreign currency, this will really hurt them.

The average Russian in the street is really going to suffer - and that’s outside all the needless death he’s causing in Ukraine.

As one of our economists said on the morning call: “He’s brought Russia up from its bootstraps, how could he be so stupid?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. It's up to the Russian people then to resist somehow get this **** out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Could you even imagine what a taskforce to stop Russian State supported investments/influence/power, with no political interference/direction/veto could do in the UK alone ?

Of course not, because it will never happen. But the problems are definitely everywhere else. And meanwhile kids die :shrug:

Although UK politicians across the House of Commons tonight called for Russia and Belarus to be thrown out of the SWIFT banking system. By all accounts, that would cripple Russia.

Then Biden, intimating that the rest of Europe’s with him, in the last hour said he doesn’t want that to happen. So it won’t.

Whilst France and Germany’s appeasement and chasing trade approach has backfired, only a few weeks ago France decided a Russian invasion was not on the cards.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/26/nato-allies-policy-russia-ukraine-analysis

Time for Biden to stop being a dillydallying fence-sitter and with the rest of the west to get serious about the full array of financial sanctions, starting today.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Although UK politicians across the House of Commons tonight called for Russia and Belarus to be thrown out of the SWIFT banking system. By all accounts, that would cripple Russia.

Then Biden, intimating that the rest of Europe’s with him, in the last hour said he doesn’t want that to happen. So it won’t.

Whilst France and Germany’s appeasement and chasing trade approach has backfired, only a few weeks ago France decided a Russian invasion was not on the cards.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/26/nato-allies-policy-russia-ukraine-analysis

Time for Biden to stop being a dillydallying fence-sitter and with the rest of the west to get serious about the full array of financial sanctions, starting today.
Imagine if Trump was in power... Probably why Putin waited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here