Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ukraine's port city of Mariupol is under heavy fire with reports of hundreds of explosions, a diplomatic source has told Reuters news agency.

Mariupol is one of the biggest Ukrainian ports on the Azov Sea and is located near a frontline held by Russian-backed separatists in the Donetsk region - which Vladimir Putin has recognised as an independent state.

Taking Mariupol would help Russia secure a direct land route to Crimea, the Ukrainian peninsula annexed by Russia in 2014.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hasn’t it been decommissioned ?

You’re right, the other reactors carried on only until 2000.

Can only think to prevent Ukraine creating a dirty bomb for Moscow.

Russia have enough uranium and plutonium to destroy mankind already, I can’t imagine there’s any great technical or material prize within a site decommissioning a nuclear power station.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They could threaten to blow it up again if they are threatened. Releasing incredible amounts of radiation in Ukraine and the surrounding countries.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

That’s chilling and insane but, disturbingly, makes some sense.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
None of that affected my vote. I have been against EU membership for 40 years. Do you really want to discuss this on here whilst people are dying in the Ukraine ?

That’s 2 different conversations, you’re right. Brexit has probably been a contributing influence, way down the list of mind, but it’s another example of divide and conquer. I agree with Deportive seagull in that respect

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The world’s main hope here is the Russian people. They have the power to unite and get rid of him. It won’t be easy for them but I get the impression from various news reports and interviews that they know what’s going on and there are enough of them to fill the streets and demand Putin stops his impersonation of Hitler.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To have control of part of Ukraine’s energy supply.

It’s only made headlines because of the nuclear word.

Yep. Russia can now switch the lights off.

Ukranian person on R5 pointed out 30 minutes ago that the UK is imposing sanctions but these do not include the likes of Abramovic and all the other Russian crooks who have invested their looted wealth in London.

Despite everything, I think the talk of invasion of Poland etc (on the radio now) is nonsense. Once this land grab has settled down it will soon be forgotten.

FFS, the war in Yugoslavia went on for years, with genocides, before it fizzled out, but the US did not invade, and now it is all forgotten. And Yugoslavia was a holiday favourite for many. Who on earth holidays in Ukrain? I am being deliberately facetious here...

Meanwhile, of course, we have Biden, Johnson, Macron and whever the **** is running Germany, lined up forsquare to, er.... Sorry what was the question?

Just like football hooliganism, cold war boot boy strategy was a thing of the 80s. The level of outrage may have cranked up out of proportion to the extent we saw in the 80s, but this is in exact contrast to the extent that anyone has any appetite for genuine aggro. We will just stand back waving our tiny fists in impotent fury.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with the first part. Not so much the second. Big war is big business, there are some people around the world who makes a lot of money from war...

But more importantly and mentioned far too little in the public debate is that China is the country that would gain the most from a big, dirty and expensive war. Russia will need to export their stuff to someone and China will quite obviously be that "someone". And with no competition, they will get it very cheaply. Meanwhile if we are all dragged into this, our states will look for investments somewhere as there is a lot of empty pockets... and China might be that "somewhere". The third big/cataclysmic "event" in a row where they are the winners.

I dont know how effective sanctions will be. There will still be plenty (and more importantly, productive) nations willing to trade with Russia. Neutral, pro-Russian or anti-Western countries (such as China, Qatar, Turkey, Iran and some others) could respond with the same means... and that would be pretty bad for the Western non-producing service economies.

All still very unclear though... I think in a month or so we're going to have a better idea of the impact of all of this.

I think you need to stick to pizza menus and pot. Nobody wants this war except Putin and (for now) his inner circle.

Of course somebody will make money from it. But you really have not got the temperature of the world on this one. War in Europe is a universally opposed action.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Looks like a late night for those of us who work in AML with the second package of sanctions followed shortly by further US and EU measures.

Chernobyl is a serious concern without knowing his actual intent. An absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Likely to be the intended route into Kiev whilst distracting from the east

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The world’s main hope here is the Russian people. They have the power to unite and get rid of him. It won’t be easy for them but I get the impression from various news reports and interviews that they know what’s going on and there are enough of them to fill the streets and demand Putin stops his impersonation of Hitler.

I guess you never read 1984. If you expect the Russian proles to lift a tiny finger against Putin, you're having a laugh.

The middle class intelligensia with their liberal mores, on the other hand, are already standing outside the government building in St Petersburg. Later they will be arrested and persecuted, and one or two proles may raise an eyebrow.

I would absolutely love it to be proven wrong, by the way. Love it.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Attachments

• IMG-20220224-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yep. Russia can now switch the lights off.

Ukranian person on R5 pointed out 30 minutes ago that the UK is imposing sanctions but these do not include the likes of Abramovic and all the other Russian crooks who have invested their looted wealth in London.

Despite everything, I think the talk of invasion of Poland etc (on the radio now) is nonsense. Once this land grab has settled down it will soon be forgotten.

FFS, the war in Yugoslavia went on for years, with genocides, before it fizzled out, but the US did not invade, and now it is all forgotten. And Yugoslavia was a holiday favourite for many. Who on earth holidays in Ukrain? I am being deliberately facetious here...

Meanwhile, of course, we have Biden, Johnson, Macron and whever the **** is running Germany, lined up forsquare to, er.... Sorry what was the question?

Just like football hooliganism, cold war boot boy strategy was a thing of the 80s. The level of outrage may have cranked up out of proportion to the extent we saw in the 80s, but this is in exact contrast to the extent that anyone has any appetite for genuine aggro. We will just stand back waving our tiny fists in impotent fury.

Ain't that the truth.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I guess you never read 1984. If you expect the Russian proles to lift a tiny finger against Putin, you're having a laugh.

The middle class intelligensia with their liberal mores, n te other hand, are already standing outside the government building in St Petersburg. Later they will be arrested and persecuted, and one or two proles may raise an eyebrow.

I would absolutely love it to be proven wrong, by the way. Love it.

@HWT, may I have your opinion on something?

I came across this on my travels:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...n-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/

A Pentagon study dating back to 2008 suggests that Putin may have Asperger's. What do you make of it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with the first part. Not so much the second. Big war is big business, there are some people around the world who makes a lot of money from war...

But more importantly and mentioned far too little in the public debate is that China is the country that would gain the most from a big, dirty and expensive war. Russia will need to export their stuff to someone and China will quite obviously be that "someone". And with no competition, they will get it very cheaply. Meanwhile if we are all dragged into this, our states will look for investments somewhere as there is a lot of empty pockets... and China might be that "somewhere". The third big/cataclysmic "event" in a row where they are the winners.

I dont know how effective sanctions will be. There will still be plenty (and more importantly, productive) nations willing to trade with Russia. Neutral, pro-Russian or anti-Western countries (such as China, Qatar, Turkey, Iran and some others) could respond with the same means... and that would be pretty bad for the Western non-producing service economies.

All still very unclear though... I think in a month or so we're going to have a better idea of the impact of all of this.

Why would China self destruct by waving goodbye to the immensely wealthy consumer markets of the US, Canada, UK, Norway, Switzerland, EU, Israel, huge Central/South American allies of the US, NZ, Australia, Japan, South Korea and assorted other allies of the west around the globe?

Russia, Belarus, Syria and Turkey is a small market to sell electronics and cheapskate plastic toys to.

In no way would China want the economic schism you talk of and be on the pariah/poor side of the fence.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is a very ****ing serious business. Some of the "jokes" on this thread are in very bad taste. This is an absolutely world changing turn of events.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here