Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is all codswallop.

2016 has nothing to do with what Putin is doing today

Are you kidding, proven Russian involvement in elections in the West has nothing to do with today? 2016 was also a US election remember. You can say codswallop all you like, but that is just outright naive.

I'd rather see cross party attempts to work together to fix this once for all and seize all corrupt russian funds. If malfeasance has occured, we can deal with that later. The truly grown up thing to do now is to have full cross party involvement in this issue.

Good luck with that. I'll look forward to our PM inviting the other parties to the table. Shall I hold my breathe or not?

And your references to WW2 are just plain wrong. The Russians signed a pact with Hitler for personal gain, they only fought after they were attacked. We on this side of Europe did much to defeat Nazi Germany in Europe. The Russians did fight hard, should be commended and the Russian winter was one of the major parts that tipped the balance in the east.

Do you know what the other major factor was? It was British intelligence, after we cracked Enigma, we told the Soviets of the germans positions/movements and plans. The tide very quickly turned than to British intelligence.

I would never claim that the UK won WW2 in europe, but to suggest the Soviets did alone is just too simplisitic or disingenous.

If the aim of our and allied involvement in WWII was to free sovereign states from foreign occupancy - which country was left occupying more territory than they entered the war with? The Baltic / Polish state's miss-trust of Russia goes well beyond what we in the West can understand. WWII for our history in the UK was about defeating the Nazis, engima, DDay, all that, however if WWII started through occupying forces in foreign countries then the war was never actually won, unless the winner is the country that happily gained and forceably took more territory. It is far too simplistic or disingenuous to look at WWII having these comparable moments to now, or that there was some how a victory on the side of good. For millions of Europeans, there was no victory at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
further sanctions, notably excluding their banks from UK banking system and debt markets, push for exclusion from swift. that last one really hurt if it goes through.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185621 said:
Bloody hell... ac sign of the mad times we live in - I've just realised former heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko is the current mayor of Kiev and the one giving orders on a night time curfew.

Wouldn't want to have to answer to him for breaking it

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1496890426447613952[/tweet]

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185344 said:
A damning assessment, hard to argue with. The trouble with sanctions in a situation like this is that at best, their effects are medium to long term. Their immediate impact is none or negligible. Not that I'm sure what other options the "West" has :(

[tweet]1496814083626213380[/tweet]

This is Putins peacekeepers. Shooting from a Sukhoi at a residential street.

[tweet]1496857200274329600[/tweet]

As the father of a 5 year old girl who’s been absolutely terrified by the wind of late, this really upset me. Total disregard for civilians, including children.

War is a dirty business, but this just feels so, so unnecessary.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Putin has apparently given orders to fire nukes at various targets around the world if he is killed, or if anyone invades/attacks the Russian territory.

Feels like a lose-lose situation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Putin has apparently given orders to fire nukes at various targets around the world if he is killed, or if anyone invades/attacks the Russian territory.

Once he’s dead then it’s a different problem. You don’t start throwing nukes around as you’d be joining him shortly. The uttering of a desperate man?

If this drags out and he doesn’t get a clean victory then it’ll be his own people that take him out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats the sort of thing spread to deliberatly stir up fear. and even if true, relies on a couple of layers of military to obey.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Seen a couple of articles that have interpreted his ‘never seen before in history’ quote as that, but nothing factual.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...pears-threaten-nuclear-strikes-west-launches/

Vladimir Putin appeared to threaten nuclear strikes if any country tried to attack Russia in retaliation for the invasion of Ukraine.

In a chilling warning, the Russian president said the “consequences” of any attempt to strike back would provoke a response “never seen in history”.

Mr Putin stopped short of directly saying that he would deploy nuclear weapons if the Russian army was attacked by forces other than those of Ukraine, but analysts believe the threat was implicit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Of course if Russia is invaded it starts throwing the nukes around, which is why nobody is invading Russia nor are they going to do so.

He wouldn’t be the first despot to announce the world will burn if they die. Both Saddam and Gadaffi said similar. When push comes to shove the people who follow them tend to want to limit the mess they have to clean up.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
[tweet]1496888911830085638[/tweet]

Jinping implicitly on board with Putin.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1496905869983768581[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t imagine the Ukrainians busting a gut to hold onto that

That’s exactly what they are doing……

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says Russian forces are trying to seize the Chernobyl power plant, which is the site of world's worst nuclear disaster.

Russian military forces entered the zone of the nuclear power plant and fighting there has raised fears that it could trigger a large-scale environmental disaster, Ukrainian officials said.

"Russian occupying forces are trying to take over the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. Our soldiers are giving their lives so that the tragedy of 1986 does not happen again," Zelenskiy said on Twitter.

He said Kyiv's forces are fighting off Russian troops for control of the Chernobyl plant, which spewed radioactive waste across Europe when one of its nuclear reactors exploded in April 1986.

The plant, which lies 130 kilometers north of Kyiv, has been decommissioned, and the reactor that exploded has been covered by a protective shelter to prevent radiation from leaking.

Deputy Interior Minister Anton Herashchenko said earlier that Russian troops entered the zone of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant from Belarus.

The National Guard, which protects the storage of radioactive waste, is fiercely resisting, Herashchenko said.

“If as a result of the occupiers' artillery strikes the nuclear waste storage facility is destroyed, the radioactive dust may cover the territories of Ukraine, Belarus and the EU countries,” he said.

Mykhaylo Podoliak, an adviser to the head of the president's office, told a news conference that there was evidence that several Russian sabotage and reconnaissance groups wanted to commit “a terrorist act” at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and cause an environmental catastrophe.

“This significantly changes the picture of what is happening in the country," Podoliak said.

With reporting by AP and Reuters

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Russian forces have captured the Chernobyl nuclear power plant after a fierce battle, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhaylo Podolyak has said.

Podolyak said:

It is impossible to say the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is safe after a totally pointless attack by the Russians.

This is one of the most serious threats in Europe today.

Ukraine’s prime minister Volodymyr Zelensky also said the Chernobyl area near Kyiv was now under the control of Russian troops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here