Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
If those three countries suddenly leave NATO, or choose to join Russia, on the other hand...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Can nations unilaterally just leave NATO and join the other side? It rather makes a mockery of the treaty if so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just back home after a very turbulent day in the financial markets.

All things Russian have been absolutely smacked. It’s going to take a long time for them to recover from this. Sure they have plenty of financial reserves but with no ability to raise debt for any Russian company and banks denied access to foreign currency, this will really hurt them.

The average Russian in the street is really going to suffer - and that’s outside all the needless death he’s causing in Ukraine.

As one of our economists said on the morning call: “He’s brought Russia up from its bootstraps, how could he be so stupid?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He wants to go out as the guy that rebuilt an empire.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Ukrainian city of Mariupol is under heavy fire with reports of hundreds of explosions. The city is one of the biggest Ukrainian ports on the Azov Sea. Taking Mariupol would help Russia secure a direct land route to Crimea, the Ukrainian peninsula annexed by Russia in 2014.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Although UK politicians across the House of Commons tonight called for Russia and Belarus to be thrown out of the SWIFT banking system. By all accounts, that would cripple Russia.

Then Biden, intimating that the rest of Europe’s with him, in the last hour said he doesn’t want that to happen. So it won’t.

Whilst France and Germany’s appeasement and chasing trade approach has backfired, only a few weeks ago France decided a Russian invasion was not on the cards.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/26/nato-allies-policy-russia-ukraine-analysis

Time for Biden to stop being a dillydallying fence-sitter and with the rest of the west to get serious about the full array of financial sanctions, starting today.

I can see why Biden has said that about SWIFT - it would cripple everybody.

I don’t think it’s needed - the dealing restrictions and cost of Russian debt will have very far reaching connotations.

Dealers have been shorting the shit out of anything Russian - and I don’t see them taking those trades off any time soon.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can you imagine an alliance between Russia, China, India, North Korea plus others...

Fortunately India and China aren’t the greatest fans of one another so I don’t think that’s a realistic scenario

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can see why Biden has said that about SWIFT - it would cripple everybody.

I don’t think it’s needed - the dealing restrictions and cost of Russian debt will have very far reaching connotations.

Dealers have been shorting the shit out of anything Russian - and I don’t see them taking those trades off any time soon.

Ball park, what would be the equivalent annual interest rate now the Russia state would have to pay to borrow and that say two months ago? Please.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Blocking Russia from SWIFT plays into their hands. Russia, China perhaps India could ‘easily’ build an alternative and then you lose any control

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Although UK politicians across the House of Commons tonight called for Russia and Belarus to be thrown out of the SWIFT banking system. By all accounts, that would cripple Russia.

Then Biden, intimating that the rest of Europe’s with him, in the last hour said he doesn’t want that to happen. So it won’t.

Whilst France and Germany’s appeasement and chasing trade approach has backfired, only a few weeks ago France decided a Russian invasion was not on the cards.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/26/nato-allies-policy-russia-ukraine-analysis

Time for Biden to stop being a dillydallying fence-sitter and with the rest of the west to get serious about the full array of financial sanctions, starting today.

Agree with your post completely.

Now, don't get me wrong, the **** Putin is the one killing people in Ukraine.

But whilst there are some very angry people on this thread (and rightly so), there are people in power in the West currently balancing the cost of each individual Ukrainian life against the cost that each sanction will cost them individually or as a group, in terms of power/financially (which at these levels are often the same).

If 'the West' REALLY want to stop Putin, the tools are all there and readily available to those in power. Call me cynical, but I don't think they'll be used :(

And I'm out :bigwave:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with your post completely.

Now, don't get me wrong, the **** Putin is the one killing people in Ukraine.

But whilst there are some very angry people on this thread (and rightly so), there are people in power in the West currently balancing the cost of each individual Ukrainian life against the cost that each sanction will cost them individually or as a group, in terms of power/financially (which at these levels are often the same).

If 'the West' REALLY want to stop Putin, the tools are all there and readily available to those in power. Call me cynical, but I don't think they'll be used :(

I agree.

Reading Biden’s mild response was an eye opener, in essence US wealth, markets and consumer power over everything else.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Revealing the coward and schemer Trump is.

Whilst a fascist occupier murders and pillages Ukraine, a long time friend of the US.

I wish Trump’s ticker would give up the ghost.

It's been pointed out today that not only Trump revealed himself to be a big fanboy for Putin but our own Cuddly Nigel Farage thinks he is the world leader who inspires him too !..... it's a dirty tangled web in media and politics these days.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Incredibly, the US stock market is now on the way up again. Clearly the American people are glad that Biden has reconfirmed that they're not getting involved in Ukraine. I wouldn't trust the Americans any further than I could throw them. The level of their self interest is sickening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here