Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You do realize that's St. Petersburg in Florida! (I might have been whooshed here) :lol:

I went on holiday to St. Petersburg when I was a kid. I was excited and told all my mates at school and each of them, to a man, refused to believe I was going to Florida. Kept taking the piss about going on holiday to Russia.

Kids are tossers.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Are you signing up in the near future ???

Regards
DF

dont be a complete idiot, This is serious.

there are 100 things we can do to isolate, bankrupt, fund insurgency, opposition alternative Russian language media, try and get Russia removed from every international forum.

The answer was in response to it being a fait acomplis and we should all be scared and not do much in case he use Nukes. When the fact is he wont sopt here, so you draw your line hear or youre forced to draw it later, exactly as in the 1930's.

NATO should do everything conceivable to help Ukraine and go after Putin, short of our troops.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That'll teach him.

Need to cripple every Russian bank with coordinated sanctions starting today. Then we need a massive, coordinated cyber attack. The West's initial goal must be to make living in Russia as difficult as possible to encourage the Russian people to oust him.
Heard reports a while back that Russia had gamed the sanctions and nobody wanted to give Putin the bad news. So he working on the jolly reports he received.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Is this the 'United's EU where already, today, the Italians have asked to be exempt from the sanctions because of their luxury goods exports to Russia, and Belgium have asked for an exclusion that covers their car manufacturing exports to Russia?

... and these requests came on Day bloody 1....

This is a NATO issue now,... Germany are a military basket case, so it will come down to US, Canada, UK, France and those closest to the 'action'.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maybe if we had stayed then the EU would have been stronger and such points might not have been not asked (though i have not see the original comments)

Germany clearly has been trying to down grade its military involvement for the obvious reasons but will contribute to NATO if required.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
It's weird that no-one is kicking up about "mixing politics and football" over this matter compared to some others.......

Not really. He's invaded a whole country. He's invaded a whole country despite his justification being to protect some people in some states yet he's invaded the whole lot. Invading a whole country is pretty different isn't it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185434 said:
Purely symbolic, but I applaud it. More to follow please

[tweet]1496844095225937924[/tweet]

They won’t be returning any of the money though will they?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It isn’t politics. It’s war.

I don't believe the previous things people complained about were politics either.

People just attach the word 'politics' to a topic when it makes them feel uncomfortable.

That's my point.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not really. He's invaded a whole country. He's invaded a whole country despite his justification being to protect some people in some states yet he's invaded the whole lot. Invading a whole country is pretty different isn't it.

You seem to think I don't believe it's serious.

I'm making the tongue in cheek point that people are very quick to use the "don't mix politics and football - period" rule when it's a topic which makes them feel a bit uneasy....but then relax that rule on things they agree with.

You won't find anyone, me included, who doesn't think stripping them of things like this is the right move. Of course it is.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ill ask my Ukrainian wife how "excited" her family are. (Shes a British citizen as we have been married 20 years but her family still live there

I’m appalled more than most at this mornings news, enough to comment about anyway and, ask for the former thread title to be changed from something that suddenly appeared flippant (well done mods for doing this) Certainly some professions like media will be excited, exhilarated, you know what I mean ie there’s a bit of a frenzy and everyone’s news consumption goes up. Sort of like getting the biggest scoop of career. Last night coincidentally was watching the excellent war in Iraq doc and a special forces guy said exactly this..That he was excitted, if he was honest, what he’d trained for etc. Many journalists say similarly years later. I guess they’re made from different cloth. Anyway, if you took offence none was intended and I sincerely hope your relations remain safe.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
They won’t be returning any of the money though will they?

But in this case, why would they? The global public are (rightly) crying out for sanctions (among other measures) to hurt Russia and its large businesses and energy suppliers. Why on earth would it be a good move in this case for Shalke to transfer several million Euros back to Gazprom?!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's going to be quite tricky for "the establishment" to distance themselves from the Russian regime and their key business interests...

Just one example:

Greg Barker - Lord Barker of Battle. (He went to Steyning Grammar - does anyone know him from there?)

He was MP for Bexhill & Battle and a climate minister under David Cameron, now sits in the House of Lords as a life peer (thanks to pig-fvcking Dave).

He worked for Abramovich at Sibneft before becoming an MP, was investigated for potential links to Boris Berezovsky when he joined the Tories, and is currently Chairman of En+.

En+ is registered in Jersey but is parent company of Rusal (Russian Aluminium) which made Oleg Deripaska his billions (he is/was owner of En+).

En+ was subject to sanctions from the US because it was controlled by Deripaska - his ownership was reduced to 35% as a result.

So we have a former MP, now a member of the house of lords, who runs a company with such close links to the Putin regime that it was sanctioned by the US...

This is just one example - how many more in Westminster (either chamber) have their snouts in the Russian trough?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What makes me angry is that Britain faces this scenario out of the EU, weak and isolated and vulnerable to a Russian cyber- attack.

We could be that crucial link between the USA and Europe. Now we are nowhere, trying to find a role.

Thks is exactly the situation Putin wanted and worked for. Fracture Western Europe, then roll the tanks in. Too many people took peace for granted.

Quite correct, and Farage and Banks were his useful idiots. So too was Johnson, though perhaps inadvertently in his case. I'm not sure he even wanted Brexit, but he was completely desperate to get into Number Ten.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It's going to be quite tricky for "the establishment" to distance themselves from the Russian regime and their key business interests...

Just one example:

Greg Barker - Lord Barker of Battle. (He went to Steyning Grammar - does anyone know him from there?)

He was MP for Bexhill & Battle and a climate minister under David Cameron, now sits in the House of Lords as a life peer (thanks to pig-fvcking Dave).

He worked for Abramovich at Sibneft before becoming an MP, was investigated for potential links to Boris Berezovsky when he joined the Tories, and is currently Chairman of En+.

En+ is registered in Jersey but is parent company of Rusal (Russian Aluminium) which made Oleg Deripaska his billions (he is/was owner of En+).

En+ was subject to sanctions from the US because it was controlled by Deripaska - his ownership was reduced to 35% as a result.

So we have a former MP, now a member of the house of lords, who runs a company with such close links to the Putin regime that it was sanctioned by the US...

This is just one example - how many more in Westminster (either chamber) have their snouts in the Russian trough?

It is disgusting, and IMO these people should be instantly removed from holding any form of public office in the UK as at the very least the current situation presents a conflict of interest. I'm not saying lynch them, but I would argue that it is in the nation's best interests to get them out of public office immediately.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most of our new recruits are 18yrs old so would probably not look much different. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the Russians had younger juveniles in their ranks.

Whereas we wouldn't dream of setting up Armed Forces recruitment stalls in shopping centres to snare youngsters with promises of seeing the world???

As it ever was. I joined straight from school at 16, 2 weeks after my last exam. First tour in NI at 18 yrs 7 months.

18 is ok as it is classed as an adult.

Putin has been recruiting his equivalent of Hitler Youth with children joining between 8 and 18.

[tweet]1496847051082149901[/tweet]

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can the West (EU, USA, UK etc.) stop ordinary Russians from travelling to those Countries?

For example hundreds of thousands of 'middle class' Russians flock over to Egypt, Greece, Cyprus etc in the summer. Many of them own properties in those Countries (especially Cyprus and Greece)

I appreciate that stopping Russians from going on holiday or spending their summers in their holiday homes sounds like a feeble response, but perhaps it can be used alongside other sanctions. The Russian people have to see what their President is doing in their name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here