Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185452 said:
It is disgusting, and IMO these people should be instantly removed from holding any form of public office in the UK as at the very least the current situation presents a conflict of interest. I'm not saying lynch them, but I would argue that it is in the nation's best interests to get them out of public office immediately.

There would be hardly anyone left on one side of the House. Rees-Mogg knew enough to get his money out of Sberbank just a couple of weeks ago.

[tweet]1496458065503268873[/tweet]

And then there's our erstwhile Foreign Secretary.

[tweet]1496858022278094849[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing which is likely to become more of an issue in the days and weeks to come is the influx into Europe (initially eastern but likely moving further out as time goes on) of a large number of Ukrainian refugees. We've seen before how toxic an issue refugees have become in recent years in Europe.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You seem quite keen on not letting someone have their opinion and in turn letting it go. You have the choice not to reply rather than ask another question and continuing discussion on the matter you don't want bought into it.

Yes, I am tired of people trying to derail every thread into Brexit. There is a perfectly good thread in the Bear pit. More importantly the Ukrainian Ambassador to the UK has called for a no fly zone above the Ukraine and NATO troops on the ground. A personal view rather than an official invite. Quite a press conference, just finished. Covered on Sky News.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Some better news maybe, to think outisde the box.

Watching Ukrainian news live, Russia has (youd guess accidently?) just shelled a Turkish ship in the black sea... Turkey is NATO and Ukraine pleaded with them today to close thw Bospherous strait, which Turkey alone controls.

Now we have our pretext, albeit not fabricated

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
One thing which is likely to become more of an issue in the days and weeks to come is the influx into Europe (initially eastern but likely moving further out as time goes on) of a large number of Ukrainian refugees. We've seen before how toxic an issue refugees have become in recent years in Europe.

Well I hope we welcome them, give them the support and help they need and do everything in our power to support their cause and their eventual return home to their own country. I cannot imagine many will be pleased to be here, they've just lost their homes!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There would be hardly anyone left on one side of the House. Rees-Mogg knew enough to get his money out of Sberbank just a couple of weeks ago.

[tweet]1496458065503268873[/tweet]

[tweet]1496782160103149571[/tweet]

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

It's fine, Liz gave a perfectly detailed, direct answer which completely cleared up the issue highlighted

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's fine, Liz gave a perfectly detailed, direct answer which completely cleared up the issue highlighted

quite irritating people want to kick this ball around. Chernukhin left russia 18 years ago, became a UK citizen 10 years ago. someone leave a country and we hold that against them forever? shouldnt we welcome defectors? or maybe we ban all immigrants from participation in politics, and business too, only way to be sure of no foreign influence.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I dont think any of this type of stuff is helpful (not that it matters one jot on NSC), whatever your domestic political views, whatever side of the Brexit debate you sat, whatever politician may have been at X or Y dinner with Russians or questionable characters from other nations like China, wether Boris the big prat is guilty of lockdown breaches.

Right now, the whole country needs to unite against a facist dictator invading a peaceful nation in Europe.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I dont think any of this type of stuff is helpful (not that it matters one jot on NSC), whatever your domestic political views, whatever side of the Brexit debate you sat, whatever politician may have been at X or Y dinner with Russians or questionable characters from other nations like China, wether Boris the big prat is guilty of lockdown breaches.

Right now, the whole country needs to unite against a facist dictator invading a peaceful nation in Europe.

Okay, so let me get this straight, on this thread we now want to take off the discussion table:

1. The EU which has 4 EU countries bordering Ukraine which in turn has an application to become a member.
2. Russian influence, donations and funding within our current political system

I might be on my own and need a thread ban, but I can't help feel these are right up there with things to be discussed. How on earth can we trust our government to act in a manner with no conflict of interest when so much funding and influence has come from the aggressor in this case? Not only that, bang in the middle of an energy crisis when a large portion of our gas comes from Russia. I can't help but feel you're being a tad naive distilling this down to an almost good v evil conflict.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Okay, so let me get this straight, on this thread we now want to take off the discussion table:

1. The EU which has 4 EU countries bordering Ukraine which in turn has an application to become a member.

I might be on my own and need a thread ban, but I can't help feel these are right up there with things to be discussed. How on earth can we trust our government to act in a manner with no conflict of interest when so much funding and influence has come from the aggressor in this case? Not only that, bang in the middle of an energy crisis when a large portion of our gas comes from Russia. I can't help but feel you're being a tad naive distilling this down to an almost good v evil conflict.

I see no problem with discussions involving either 1. or 2., just that Brexit in itself (in this thread) needs not come into it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Another really really encouraging development if true.

Ukrainian news has just reported that around 60 Russian advanced spy/espionage troops, literally just surrendered themselves to the Ukrainian military having received new orders, citing they had no idea they had been sent to kills fellow slavs, which they simply cannot do.

I hope its true, i hope it could become a trend.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
quite irritating people want to kick this ball around. Chernukhin left russia 18 years ago, became a UK citizen 10 years ago. someone leave a country and we hold that against them forever? shouldnt we welcome defectors? or maybe we ban all immigrants from participation in politics, and business too, only way to be sure of no foreign influence.

Like the son of an ex KGB agent in the House of Lords.

Edit to add: Carrie Johnson (Symonds) spent a few years in Russia and is part of the Conservative Friends of Russia.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

What, you mean the large portion that is around 5%?

The war will have an impact on our gas prices for sure but get your facts right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Another really really encouraging development if true.

Ukrainian news has just reported that around 60 Russian advanced spy/espionage troops, literally just surrendered themselves to the Ukrainian military having received new orders, citing they had no idea they had been sent to kills fellow slavs, which they simply cannot do.

I hope its true, i hope it could become a trend.

afraid i cant really buy that one. advance troops (usually the better ones) dont know what country they are in or the objectives before setting out?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
afraid i cant really buy that one. advance troops (usually the better ones) dont know what country they are in or the objectives before setting out?

But you can well imagine, they were given some assurances about their role which have now turned out not to be true.

Personally I'm not believing anything until it's verified, but it's not beyond the realms

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here