Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
ukraine.jpg

Slava Ukraini, heroyam slava.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It’s hard to comprehend isn’t it. I’m late for work, because of really (listening to coverage, posting on here etc but days like today are seismic watermarks. All our lives have just changed overnight in ways we just don’t know yet. It’s exciting (if honest) and terrifying (being brutally honest) in equal measure.
In what sense do you find any of this exciting?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Hopefully not as have visited all of them and the people were all very friendly and do not deserve that

Or the people of Ukraine.

I don’t know what Putin’s plan is (does anyone?) in invading Ukraine. I can only assume it’s his version of megalomaniacal willy waving to show that he can and who’s prepared to stop him. On that basis Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia could be next on his hit list. Geographically those states are bordered by Russia on the east, Belarus (Russia’s best buddies) to the south, and the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad to the west. So effectively Putin has the Baltic states surrounded by him and his chums.

It does not bode well in the current situation.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Putin has the advantage here. He knows exactly what the roadmap is, and where it ends. Everyone else is just guessing.

That’s the big question; where does this end? A week ago he said he wouldn’t invade Ukraine. Now he has, and is actively threatening the use of nuclear weapons against the west (inferred or otherwise). That’s a quick development. Where are we in another week? A month? A year?

Deeply concerning times.

Deeply worrying times and thoughts are with Ukraine and its people. I spoke with a Polish friend yesterday and she told me there is intense anxiety among many there that they may be next for Putin using the border crisis with Belarus as his justification.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Putin has the advantage here. He knows exactly what the roadmap is, and where it ends. Everyone else is just guessing.

That’s the big question; where does this end? A week ago he said he wouldn’t invade Ukraine. Now he has, and is actively threatening the use of nuclear weapons against the west (inferred or otherwise). That’s a quick development. Where are we in another week? A month? A year?

Deeply concerning times.

No plans to invade, the west is hysterical..... his video announcing war is is the same clothes he wore for his 1 hour rant and metadata shows it was recorded on Monday 21st, 48 hours before.

In the 48 hours since, he has said he is open to diplomacy and youve had the charade of the DNR/LNR asking for help, he agreeing to send forces due to fabricated genocide claims and then to launch his full scale invasion.

He is rotten to his core, a serial deceiver. A murderer, facist dictator and a thief.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I wonder when we will see the Ukrainian military show their hand and at what point that will be, will they let them take the the Luhansk and Donetsk peoples republics. Considering they have approximately 200,000 military personal, probably not as well armed though, the fighting could be absolutely catastrophic.
Personally I feel this will escalate rapidly by the weekend, and we will all be in fear of the outcome not only for the Ukraine but Europe as whole.

Life changing moments are happing by the minute and we should all be very worried.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I can’t get the footage of Ukrainian school children, involved in air raid shelter drills out of my mind. How many of them will lose their fathers in the ensuing carnage ? They should never know of war, but in the eyes of an unhinged psychopath, they’re nothing more than collateral damage. This is truly sickening. We are about to see a peaceful nation reduced to a pile of rubble. Who’s next ?
I’m still waiting to see footage of Putin in the presence of women. He seems to prefer men in military uniform.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can’t get the footage of Ukrainian school children, involved in air raid shelter drills out of my mind. How many of them will lose their fathers in the ensuing carnage ? They should never know of war, but in the eyes of an unhinged psychopath, they’re nothing more than collateral damage. This is truly sickening. We are about to see a peaceful nation reduced to a pile of rubble. Who’s next ?
I’m still waiting to see footage of Putin in the presence of women. He seems to prefer men in military uniform.

Where did you see that clip? which channel or what is internet?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Unless sanctions work and those who hold the purse strings in Russia oust him, Putin is going nowhere for the foreseeable. Which doesn’t leave many options. The West can either keep supporting Ukraine but ultimately Putin will gain control of Ukraine. If that I have little doubt. This would likely lead to genocide. Then I imagine the options narrow even further. Do the UN go in? Could they go in?

Then we have a decision whether to engage militarily. At this point it’s very dangerous as the nuclear threat becomes real.

Or we wait and see what he does next. If he makes moves on the Baltics, it’s WW3 for certain. And then nuclear war is a very realistic outcome.

I cannot see this ending up without boots on the ground.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think I have covid, great morning so far..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Oh what a day to get it eh, at least the government have agreed you don't have to self isolate as from today, so off to work you go, coughing and spluttering.....

Sorry fella, hope you feel better soon, all the best.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Tobias Ellwood is a sane voice and probably way too sensible to be introduced to the cabinet but he is a Tory we could trust and who could really help the country. Sadly, his record of Boris-Bashing makes him incompatible with the current regime.

Yes, we could trust him to take us into war.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In what sense do you find any of this exciting?

Exciting categorically isn't the word but I am always...awed, I guess, when I realise I'm living through moments that will one day end up in the global history books.

This
COVID
Brexit
7/7
9/11

I would hope, and am choosing to believe, that's what he meant by 'exciting'.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Unless sanctions work and those who hold the purse strings in Russia oust him, Putin is going nowhere for the foreseeable. Which doesn’t leave many options. The West can either keep supporting Ukraine but ultimately Putin will gain control of Ukraine. If that I have little doubt. This would likely lead to genocide. Then I imagine the options narrow even further. Do the UN go in? Could they go in?

Then we have a decision whether to engage militarily. At this point it’s very dangerous as the nuclear threat becomes real.

Or we wait and see what he does next. If he makes moves on the Baltics, it’s WW3 for certain. And then nuclear war is a very realistic outcome.

I cannot see this ending up without boots on the ground.

We shouldnt be waiting Clamp, we shouldnt just wait for him then react and catch up..... Like taking your players off the field until they score a goal, then come on try and equalise, then sit down again and wait for their next goal.

We should take the initiative, get on the front foot, the only thing that will make him back down is military force. I'm not suggesting NATO troops on the ground and the most devasatating sanctions ever should be levied, including exposing all of Putins hidden wealth, but this will take time.

We should be giving Ukraine immediately, offensive weapons, attack Russia with Cyber, command control/military planning help, satellite technology and as many weapons as they need or require. We must also do everything to protect their leadership and economy.

Putin has launched this, this is this generations Poland moment. We cannot step back. Putin fears NATO and he is not so irrational to start a nuclear war imho. So why do we bench our key weapon. Short of putting our service people on the ground, we should use the full power of NATO covertly to assist Ukraine. Give them missile defense technology, give them precision missiles. The annexed pupper states on Ukrainian soil think they have a right to invite Russia in? The Sovereign governement of Ukraine has every right to ask NATO to assist in everything except foreign troops.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Exciting categorically isn't the word but I am always...awed, I guess, when I realise I'm living through moments that will one day end up in the global history books.

This
COVID
Brexit
7/7
9/11

I would hope, and am choosing to believe, that's what he meant by 'exciting'.

Got to admit I did think the 21st century would be better than it turned out to be.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ill ask my Ukrainian wife how "excited" her family are. (Shes a British citizen as we have been married 20 years but her family still live there

My thoughts are with you, you wife and her family. Absolutely disgusting and . . . well there are not words to describe it.

Certainly not 'exciting', that is for sure.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Oh what a day to get it eh, at least the government have agreed you don't have to self isolate as from today, so off to work you go, coughing and spluttering.....

Sorry fella, hope you feel better soon, all the best.
**** that I'm laying on the sofa thinking it's a good job I haven't had kids like the rest of my mates the past couple of years

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here