Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Wow, even though this was looking increasingly likely, I was still hoping for the best; this is a shocking turn of events.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which is why the west must stand united at this time. China do not strike me as being a nation eager for war in the way Putin's Russia seems to be they prefer their takeovers to be done at NGO level, buying influence through money (much as the US has done over the last century). I suspect the appetite for a major conflict with anyone, including the US or NATO, in Beijing is low to non-existent. Indeed it could be a huge powerplay by President Xi to be the man who "brings Russia to heel" (again by making Moscow reliant on China for their wealth). Plus it would help to heal a wound of history emanating from the Sino-Soviet split, something China these days is very keen on doing, only this time (as ever) on China's terms.

I agree with this analysis. China embarked on global economic domination a long time ago. Actual war is completely against their interests. Putin is different. Perhaps unhinged, obsessed with nationalism or maybe just following orders himself from the criminal interests that prop up his regime. Who knows.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Anyone else panic buying vodka.

On a serious note just dreadful news that everyone is waking up to. I just hope that the situation doesn't escalate and that needless death and destruction can be averted with Ukraine staying an independent state.

Time to buy closer to home. Suggest you switch to Gin? :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Wow, even though this was looking increasingly likely, I was still hoping for the best; this is a shocking turn of events.

It’s hard to comprehend isn’t it. I’m late for work, because of really (listening to coverage, posting on here etc but days like today are seismic watermarks. All our lives have just changed overnight in ways we just don’t know yet. It’s exciting (if honest) and terrifying (being brutally honest) in equal measure.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hopefully not as have visited all of them and the people were all very friendly and do not deserve that

In their lifetimes all were occupied by the USSR and they all loathe and fear the Russians. Hopefully as full NATO Members we can defend them? When I was in Latvia about 5 years ago it was clear from the number of US blokes walking the streets / in Bars (not in uniform but was clear they were off duty military) that the Americans already have significant assets out there. Hope Biden has the balls to use them when push comes to shove.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
SAS need to get in and kill Putin
Better if a Ukrainian team went in and got him. If our lot got caught it would start a pan European war.
No one will know where he is - although fair to assume he is in a nuclear bunker now.

His TV appearances have all been pre-recorded.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Whatever sanctions the west applies to Russia now, they - absolutely - need to work.

I'm sure they won't work in changing Putin's mind, but depending on their scale, a united world programme of sanctions, stretching far into the future, could severely damage Russia's economy for a generation.

Boris, it's no longer the time to piss about sanctioning 5 banks nobody has heard of, and 3 oligarchs who had already been sanctioned by the US in 2018.

Whatever you do next, in conjunction with the allies, it must work.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think I have covid, great morning so far..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
SAS need to get in and kill Putin
Nope that's a terrible idea, no country should be able to kill a rival state leader as it sets a dangerous precedent...if we kill Putin what's to stop them killing our Prime Minister ? ....Oh....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Out of respect for Ukraine, in solidarity with and the seriousness of developments overnight, please can Mods change the title of this thread to something like: Russia Invades Ukraine - war in Europe

This is an extraordinary moment in history, and even moved onto an altogether more serious situation that is threatening to engulf us all. Imagine if it’s 1st Sept 1939 and NSC’s forerunner (Chicken Run Conversation) is debating “Germany v Poland…any idea on the KO time?”
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] @brynylon etc please consider this request.
Can I just add my voice to this request too please [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
It’s hard to comprehend isn’t it. I’m late for work, because of really (listening to coverage, posting on here etc but days like today are seismic watermarks. All our lives have just changed overnight in ways we just don’t know yet. It’s exciting (if honest) and terrifying (being brutally honest) in equal measure.

Ill ask my Ukrainian wife how "excited" her family are. (Shes a British citizen as we have been married 20 years but her family still live there

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Putin has the advantage here. He knows exactly what the roadmap is, and where it ends. Everyone else is just guessing.

That’s the big question; where does this end? A week ago he said he wouldn’t invade Ukraine. Now he has, and is actively threatening the use of nuclear weapons against the west (inferred or otherwise). That’s a quick development. Where are we in another week? A month? A year?

Deeply concerning times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here