Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Its what we've got right now, just hope he listens to some sane voices away from his Looney cabinet

Tobias Ellwood is a sane voice and probably way too sensible to be introduced to the cabinet but he is a Tory we could trust and who could really help the country. Sadly, his record of Boris-Bashing makes him incompatible with the current regime.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
How feckless does the UN look at the moment with a Russian sitting as president.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Out of respect for Ukraine, in solidarity with and the seriousness of developments overnight, please can Mods change the title of this thread to something like: Russia Invades Ukraine - war in Europe

This is an extraordinary moment in history, and even moved onto an altogether more serious situation that is threatening to engulf us all. Imagine if it’s 1st Sept 1939 and NSC’s forerunner (Chicken Run Conversation) is debating “Germany v Poland…any idea on the KO time?”
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] @brynylon etc please consider this request.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We need a leader untainted by Russian money, instead we have Johnson. Yet again, the worst possible PM at the worst possible time.

No coincidence Putin has chosen this moment. Trump, Biden, Johnson, Brexit, Merkel gone, Covid…it’s perfect timing, he’s waited nearly 2 decades. We should be very worried, a nuclear superpower threatening to use ‘the bomb’ in Europe is not an every morning headline to wake up to.

Maybe this is the moment we finally and responsibly begin to rebuild our military forces. We’ve taken our security, the only thing that matters at the end of the day, far too complacently, as has the rest of Europe, since 1989.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All Russian owned assets (land, property, cash etc) should be taken into instant ownership of the Crown.

The Crown? This government will be more inclined to seize Russian Oligarch assets and divvy them up between their donors and mates ….…er Russian Oligarchs.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One of my strongly held opinions as a historian (and indeed the basis of my post-graduate thesis) was on the basis that the policy of appeasement in 1938 by Chamberlain was necessary owing to Britain being unable to go to war against Germany at that time. I firmly believe, having read widely on the subject, that appeasement in 1938 was the only option.

Appeasement has been shown to be badly flawed as an idea in 2022. We now have to conclude we are dealing with a non-rational actor.

As should be obvious, my opinion of our current Prime Minister could hardly go any lower. However I retain a belief, however perhaps naive it may sound, that he will today do the right thing and impose an incredibly harsh sanctions regime on all Russian oligarchs and those related to Putin. Including seizure of assets, freezing of accounts and (in some cases) deportation. The time for pussyfooting around is, I'm sad to say, over. Does he have the courage to do this? Is he too compromised personally and through his party to do this? I sincerely hope not. Because right now, we have no other option. Well, no other thinkable option...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
All Russian owned assets (land, property, cash etc) should be taken into instant ownership of the Crown.

Ellwood thinks that essentially, China will recompense Russia and Russian individuals with any loses they receive due to sanctions. It looks like they’ll soon do a massive deal to buy Russian oil and gas. I can see the Russian elite moving from Londongrad to Beijing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
One of my strongly held opinions as a historian (and indeed the basis of my post-graduate thesis) was on the basis that the policy of appeasement in 1938 by Chamberlain was necessary owing to Britain being unable to go to war against Germany at that time. I firmly believe, having read widely on the subject, that appeasement in 1938 was the only option.

Appeasement has been shown to be badly flawed as an idea in 2022. We now have to conclude we are dealing with a non-rational actor.

As should be obvious, my opinion of our current Prime Minister could hardly go any lower. However I retain, however perhaps naive it may sound, that he will today do the right thing and impose an incredibly harsh sanctions regime on all Russian oligarchs and those related to Putin. Including seizure of assets, freezing of accounts and (in some cases) deportation. The time for pussyfooting around is, I'm sad to say, over. Does he have the courage to do this? Is he too compromised personally and through his party to do this? I sincerely hope not. Because right now, we have no other option. Well, no other thinkable option...

A unified sanction hit of the highest order must now be the priority of the west. Not sure what the Chinese will do but this will embolden them in the east

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Tobias Ellwood is a sane voice and probably way too sensible to be introduced to the cabinet but he is a Tory we could trust and who could really help the country. Sadly, his record of Boris-Bashing makes him incompatible with the current regime.

Anyway, it’s going to be a fascinating day as the united Western response is rolled out. Huge damage can be done to the Russian economy. We also cannot rule out a military response. Putin is probing for our boundaries and we may have to defend NATO members.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

The city lawyers will argue it’s undemocratic and illegal, the irony will be utterly lost on them too.

We need to fight war for once with both hands untied. In front of us.

But we’re so drunk on Russian money, there will be thousands of Chelsea fans up in arms if Roman is sanctioned. Imagine supporting the little Bavarian corporal with a tache on 1st Sep 1939 simply because he’s on the Board at the Albion? Yet that’s what plenty Chelsea fans will do if it affects their team. Reflects our division as a society, imagine what it must be like uniting a defence alliance like NATO to do something meaningful?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
How is this happening? How did an ex-KGB officer come to lead a world power, unelected, and invade a peaceful neighbouring country?

This will change the world.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ellwood thinks that essentially, China will recompense Russia and Russian individuals with any loses they receive due to sanctions. It looks like they’ll soon do a massive deal to buy Russian oil and gas. I can see the Russian elite moving from Londongrad to Beijing.

China isnt exactly a best buddy of Russia historically, cant see why they'd start dishing out money for any. there isnt presently a pipeline to move all that gas and oil to China.

on other side, Russia has amassed sufficent reserves to probably not care about sale of oil and gas for a long while.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anyone else panic buying vodka.

On a serious note just dreadful news that everyone is waking up to. I just hope that the situation doesn't escalate and that needless death and destruction can be averted with Ukraine staying an independent state.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A unified sanction hit of the highest order must now be the priority of the west. Not sure what the Chinese will do but this will embolden them in the east

Which is why the west must stand united at this time. China do not strike me as being a nation eager for war in the way Putin's Russia seems to be they prefer their takeovers to be done at NGO level, buying influence through money (much as the US has done over the last century). I suspect the appetite for a major conflict with anyone, including the US or NATO, in Beijing is low to non-existent. Indeed it could be a huge powerplay by President Xi to be the man who "brings Russia to heel" (again by making Moscow reliant on China for their wealth). Plus it would help to heal a wound of history emanating from the Sino-Soviet split, something China these days is very keen on doing, only this time (as ever) on China's terms.

franks brother

FMWOdglXsAADo65.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here