Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
State TV in Russia is claiming the " Special Operation " is attempting to stop the massive destruction of Ukraine by the Ukrainian government. Beyond parody !
Indeed. Funny how the Ukrainians didn't destroy themselves until after Russia moved in to help stop it.

It's so depressing how people can be brainwashed. I've lived with people from China who have no idea about the real world, and see it as their duty to defend China against any words against it. For example, they see it as a good thing that Sweden was punished by China for Liu Xiaobo (the Chinese man who fought for human rights in China) receiving the Nobel prize. Madness.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1501553135625687042[/tweet]

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Indeed. Funny how the Ukrainians didn't destroy themselves until after Russia moved in to help stop it.

It's so depressing how people can be brainwashed. I've lived with people from China who have no idea about the real world, and see it as their duty to defend China against any words against it. For example, they see it as a good thing that Sweden was punished by China for Liu Xiaobo (the Chinese man who fought for human rights in China) receiving the Nobel prize. Madness.

Whilst Russian and Chinese news is clearly propagandist, It's very naïve to think that any side of any argument isn't brainwashed in the modern media world. Look at the states for example, right or left of politics have extreme media outlets and nothing trustworthy really in between. Not really much better here, media play up to the paymasters. I still don't really trust alot of the news coming from Ukraine from any outlet. Everyone has an agenda.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whilst Russian and Chinese news is clearly propagandist, It's very naïve to think that any side of any argument isn't brainwashed in the modern media world. Look at the states for example, right or left of politics have extreme media outlets and nothing trustworthy really in between. Not really much better here, media play up to the paymasters. I still don't really trust alot of the news coming from Ukraine from any outlet. Everyone has an agenda.

Well yes, most of the published press in this country is an exercise in preserving the assets of the billionaire class through mass disinformation.

However, there is at least plurality. Anyone can pick up a newspaper which has a different view. For the time being, you can go on a protest if you don't like something. There's a public service broadcaster, who though subject to unrelenting attack from certain newspapers, so not everyone likes it, has neutrality enshrined into it's constitution.

Anyone who is brainwashed here has effectively chosen to be, same as in the States. There are available alternatives. Not the case in Russian or China. You can't even get on most of the internet now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh great - some empty head British Army soldiers have gone AWOL and off to Poland to get involved. That'll be fun when they get caught by Russians ....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well it's fair to say I've met a lot of people from the West with a wide variety of views (some I agree with, some I disagree with). That is nothing like those subjected to the propaganda in China. They don't have a variety of views, they have one view - the one they're told to have.

That you liken brainwashing in China to the West is an absolute joke. Although a part of me suspects that you're not for real, if you are, you are extremely mistaken.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh great - some empty head British Army soldiers have gone AWOL and off to Poland to get involved. That'll be fun when they get caught by Russians ....

You know nothing about him, how dare you call him empty headed, maybe it is awash with pain and misery, maybe he has family there, just like people on this board, maybe some have god forbid died.....

I think he is brave way beyond anything I could muster, your thoughtless throw away comment without knowing the full facts is.....

Such a shame.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You know nothing about him, how dare you call him empty headed, maybe he has family there, just like people on this board, maybe some have god forbid died.....

I think he is brave way beyond anything I could muster, your thoughtless throw away comment without knowing the full facts is.....

Such a shame.

He’s not brave. It’s stupidity for a serving British soldier to go into a war zone Britain is not involved with. Perfect propaganda for Putin if caught that could bring us directly into the conflict. And actually I believe it’s 4 soldiers, not 1. Perhaps they all have Ukrainian family eh

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He’s not brave. It’s stupidity for a serving British soldier to go into a war zone Britain is not involved with. Perfect propaganda for Putin if caught that could bring us directly into the conflict. And actually I believe it’s 4 soldiers, not 1. Perhaps they all have Ukrainian family eh

Or perhaps they feel passionately that what's being done to Ukraine is outrageous and uncalled for and want to stand with the Ukrainian people. If they have skills which can help, then I say good for them and all the best. Ukraine needs all hands right now and I respect anyone who wants to do their bit. There is nothing more powerful than a collection of likeminded people with a single purpose and focus.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or perhaps they feel passionately that what's being done to Ukraine is outrageous and uncalled for and want to stand with the Ukrainian people. If they have skills which can help, then I say good for them and all the best. Ukraine needs all hands right now and I respect anyone who wants to do their bit. There is nothing more powerful than a collection of likeminded people with a single purpose and focus.

Perhaps - but it’s incredibly reckless and puts our country at huge risk if caught / found dead.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Whatever, you can look at it one way, and I another.

If they have deserted they are not serving British soldiers are they, there are plenty of British over in the Ukraine helping, do you think the Russians give a shit, if they are serving or not ?
It not as if they will be turning up in British uniform, the Russians won't know who or where they are from.

Yes they are brave, braver than me or you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps - but it’s incredibly reckless and puts our country at huge risk if caught / found dead.
I don't know exactly what they've done or their reasons, and I'm not justifying it without knowing enough, but personally I can't see how a few rogue soldiers is going to cause WW3.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

If they have deserted they are not serving British soldiers are they, there are plenty of British over in the Ukraine helping, do you think the Russians give a shit, if they are serving or not ?
It not as if they will be turning up in British uniform, the Russians won't know who or where they are from.

Guessing they don't speak fluent Ukranian without an foreign accent.

Individually courageous, but i'm not sure the good that the 4 people can do is worth the propaganda that Putin will milk from it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Given their IDs are known and photos including distinctive tattoos (although UK press have blurred faces) are on the internet won't be to difficult eh?
Fair enough maybe no big deal, maybe we could use it as a cover to properly help Ukraine then with a few hundred soliders who have gone 'AWOL'

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

In this part of the world we can see what is being reported elsewhere in the world, even if we have to hunt it down a bit at times. No one is imprisoned, tortured or killed for presenting dissenting opinion.
I have doubts that as many Russians have died as Ukraine estimates, but other than that, I am believing the reports I am seeing mostly. What have you seen or heard that you are doubting? I understand not having total trust in the source, but even Johnson speaks the truth sometimes.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Well yes, most of the published press in this country is an exercise in preserving the assets of the billionaire class through mass disinformation.

However, there is at least plurality. Anyone can pick up a newspaper which has a different view. For the time being, you can go on a protest if you don't like something. There's a public service broadcaster, who though subject to unrelenting attack from certain newspapers, so not everyone likes it, has neutrality enshrined into it's constitution.

Anyone who is brainwashed here has effectively chosen to be, same as in the States. There are available alternatives. Not the case in Russian or China. You can't even get on most of the internet now.

I think it’s incredibly naive to think the bbc is impartial. Serious news events are given barely any airtime. You have mentioned the right to protest which a law is being passed to remove in this country and the BBC have barely gone near that story to the level it justifies being a prime example.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
In this part of the world we can see what is being reported elsewhere in the world, even if we have to hunt it down a bit at times. No one is imprisoned, tortured or killed for presenting dissenting opinion.
I have doubts that as many Russians have died as Ukraine estimates, but other than that, I am believing the reports I am seeing mostly. What have you seen or heard that you are doubting? I understand not having total trust in the source, but even Johnson speaks the truth sometimes.

I think we are probably getting an overly optimistic view of how the Ukrainians are doing against the Russians. I hope I’m wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here