Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are now giving Ukraine more ground to air missiles..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't trust anything they say. I believe the Russians ARE capable of taking and holding Kyiv.
- they have the firepower from aerial bombardment, over time
- their forces have an almost half circle around Kyiv already
- I don't think they'd worry much about destroying a number of beautiful churches, as the Ukrainian orthodox church split from the Russian church ( and Lavrov's chat with the Pope didn't seem to change anything...)
- getting there would cost enormous damage to the Russian military machinery and troops, costly and time consuming to rebuild
- Russian bonds are heading to junk status in a couple days...I'm no economist but that's' probably not great for them to borrow funds

If Russia are concerned about anything, maybe it's the last two points

I agree, that if just winning the war was Putins aim, then it can be done.
I disagree that shelling Kiev to bits is not a problem for Putin, he wants a victory parade around what he has called the Mother of Russian Cities, not round a pile of rubble. If he does end up destroying the city, he will have to try and sell that as Ukrainians having done it.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My uninformed guess would be that you are right.

He can still 'win' in pure military terms. But it seems that the longer this goes on the harder it will be for Putin to stop the tide of public opinion turning against him. Russia isn't North Korea, people are used to connecting with the rest of the world in different ways. It will be impossible to shut off the flow of information completely. Putin has only been able to operate as he has because he has had the majority of Russia behind him. And while he probably still has that now (who the hell really knows), the harder he pushes, the quicker public opinion may shift.

If that is the case, then he needs to find (and to be given) a way to get out while claiming some element of success.

That may save him in the short term (he would then be able to blame any continued sanctions on the West and thus try and rebuild his popularity).

But longer term he will probably be toast anyway. The Russian economy is screwed and the truth about what is happening now in Ukraine will leak out into wider Russian society in time. Which is why (in addition to the far more important benefit of stopping the war and avoiding the risk of nuclear annihilation) it may be a good strategy to give him just enough room to retreat with some 'dignity' now and work on a long term strategy, given his weakened position, to support the Russian people to oust him in their own time.

Hopefully he will come to face justice for his crimes. But even if he does end up escaping that, my view is that stopping the war as quickly and completely as possible is the number one priority. Pushing him to his limit, with no way out, is too dangerous. Certainly for ordinary Ukrainians and potentially for the rest of us as well.

You sound very sensible... I hope you are right👍👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I disagree that shelling Kiev to bits is not a problem for Putin, he wants a victory parade around what he has called the Mother of Russian Cities, not round a pile of rubble. If he does end up destroying the city, he will have to try and sell that as Ukrainians having done it.

True, hopefully, but I'm sure the Russians could green screen their victory parade and superimpose it on a tourist video of Kyiv - they'd sell that on state TV.

BY the bye, some vehicles captured by Ukrainian forces contained Russian 'parade' uniforms

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
BY the bye, some vehicles captured by Ukrainian forces contained Russian 'parade' uniforms

A reminder, could Ukrainian civilians please stay off the battlefield at the final whistle, so that Vladimir and the lads can do their parade of honour.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For a different perspective (Russians are victims as well), take a look at this:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/worl...ldiers-loved-ones-marquardt-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

(Warning: it's a difficult watch).

That's right. Ukraine, the invaded country, has got a hotline for missing Russian troops, who are the ones invading.
Meanwhile, the invading country has no information about its missing troops.
Indeed, they may have been killed in action, incinerated in Russia's mobile crematoria, and their fate kept from the poor wives, girlfriends and mothers.

You really couldn't make it up.
I'll watch that later after work.

The Russian troops very much are mostly also the victims here ( obviously this doesn't apply to the Wagner sub human mercenaries, or Kadyrov's Chechen thugs ).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
State TV in Russia is claiming the " Special Operation " is attempting to stop the massive destruction of Ukraine by the Ukrainian government. Beyond parody !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Forget nuclear weapons, this is a ticking time bomb.

[tweet]1501518951007895554[/tweet]
[tweet]1501518953511800834[/tweet]

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Forget nuclear weapons, this is a ticking time bomb.

[tweet]1501518951007895554[/tweet]
[tweet]1501518953511800834[/tweet]

Hey, hey look Russia! Bomb this! Let's draw attention to soft targets on social media. Genius. (Not you, the idiots tweeting).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
State TV in Russia is claiming the " Special Operation " is attempting to stop the massive destruction of Ukraine by the Ukrainian government. Beyond parody !

I mean, surely even the most brainwashed of people must at that point start asking "hang on...why is that any of our business?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here