Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I just struggle to see a military commander ordering soldiers to hit a children's hospital, and them doing it. What would be the advantage?

That they absolutely will not stop. Nothing is out of bounds. Not a childrens' hospital. Not a nuclear power station. Nothing.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Maternity and children’s wards badly hit at Mariupol hospital. Lord above, this is getting so utterly heartbreaking and upsetting.

I think one of the things that helped me cope with the depressing, early days of Covid was the fact that children were generally spared. I consider myself a resilient character but two weeks in, this is beginning to get to me in a significant way.

Out of interest, did you feel as bad when Syria was getting annihilated and entire cities levelled? I'm not meaning to be provocative, I'm genuinely intrigued why people (my friends at least) seem to be way more upset now than during other recent events that were equally bad or worse.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I just struggle to see a military commander ordering soldiers to hit a children's hospital, and them doing it. What would be the advantage?

The word indiscriminate has been consistently used with Russian attacks

If you fire thousands of shells and mortars into a city with no idea where they are going to land, then eventually you're going to hit a children's hospital. It's simply a question of probability.

I hope as many were in the basement as possible

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Out of interest, did you feel as bad when Syria was getting annihilated and entire cities levelled? I'm not meaning to be provocative, I'm genuinely intrigued why people (my friends at least) seem to be way more upset now than during other recent events that were equally bad or worse.

What an odd question to ask. If the poster has an opinion on that subject then doubtless they will express it on the relevant thread.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I was one that called for military intervention when chemical weapons were being used.

Parliament decided not to, which I was disappointed with but understand why.

Is the subtext to what you're asking, that we're less upset now, because it was brown people getting killed?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I'm not meaning to be provocative, but I'm genuinely intrigued why it matters to you? This is exactly the sort of whataboutery I heard on RT, when you could still pick it up, are you still tuning in? Again, just for the complete avoidance of doubt, I'm not meaning to be provocative

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
What an odd question to ask. If the poster has an opinion on that subject then doubtless they will express it on the relevant thread.

Not odd at all. He said how upset it was making him, and I am interested if there is something about this scenario that is creating more upset than similar events or not. I don't recall a similar thread on Syria.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There is no doubt whatsoever that there is a difference between European refugees and Middle Eastern refugees. Certain countries have been very clear on that. The rhetoric is different and the conversations are framed in a very different manner.

Pod Save the World on YouTube, part of Crooked Media, have brilliant conversations on the whole topic - very informative and honest, they're worth listening to if you want to get a good understanding of the issues.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think it’s incredibly naive to think the bbc is impartial. Serious news events are given barely any airtime. You have mentioned the right to protest which a law is being passed to remove in this country and the BBC have barely gone near that story to the level it justifies being a prime example.

Possibly I am incredibly naive

Possibly those who rail against it do so because they are anchored to their own version of "neutrality" . BBC news have certainly covered the protest law and there was a feature about it on five live a few weeks ago

It's for another thread clearly, but it's by far the most trusted news organisation in the world, if that counts for anything. The point being it adds to the variety of coverage available in the country and makes the group think seen in other parts of the world less likely

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I'm not meaning to be provocative, but I'm genuinely intrigued why it matters to you? This is exactly the sort of whataboutery I heard on RT, when you could still pick it up, are you still tuning in? Again, just for the complete avoidance of doubt, I'm not meaning to be provocative

As above. I'm interested in what is driving people to seemingly be more upset about Ukranian events over scenarios that were as bad or worse which is definitely a phenomenon amongst my social group. There is no whataboutery about that at all. Why the aggression and confrontation?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think people feel more upset now because Ukraine seems a lot closer to home somehow. The culture is more similar to ours, which makes it feel more real. Doesn't make it right, but I think that's human nature (people will obviously pretend it isn't).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not odd at all. He said how upset it was making him, and I am interested if there is something about this scenario that is creating more upset than similar events or not. I don't recall a similar thread on Syria.

You joined NSC in Sept 2021. What was your username during the Syrian war ?
For the avoidance of doubt the war in Ukraine is one within Europe and therefore more relevant than a war in the Middle East. Sorry.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I'm not being provocative, but you've only been posting since September 2021, the Syrian conflict started years ago; are you OK?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As above. I'm interested in what is driving people to seemingly be more upset about Ukranian events over scenarios that were as bad or worse which is definitely a phenomenon amongst my social group. There is no whataboutery about that at all.

It's fair to say we should have been collectively more horrified by Rohingya and Rwanda and Yemen.

That's not going to make me less horrified by Ukraine though

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

It look like you're trying to derail the thread. It's far too important for that.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So why don't we lend Ukraine a hand and send a few hundred Army soldiers out there? Good point. If I was young, no responsibilities and military trained I would definitely be out there myself too!

I’m with you Springy, really I am. I hate this cowering to Putins threats and believe he’ll use Nuclear weapons regardless, maybe not the strategic ones but definitely tactical. We need to respond in kind and if all out war is inevitable because there’s a nutter in the Kremlin and we didn’t do enough to prevent this over the past 30 years, then so be it. Let’s get on with it because as history proves, you can’t negotiate with a man that comes to kill you.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think people feel more upset now because Ukraine seems a lot closer to home somehow. The culture is more similar to ours, which makes it feel more real. Doesn't make it right, but I think that's human nature (people will obviously pretend it isn't).

Thanks for the sensible reply. I agree, I think it's probably because its closer to home, but also the level of media coverage. Maybe it's the risk of what happens if it escalates due to the players involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here