Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
As you have pointed out ‘similar to most people in the West’, so not sure why you asked it? Perhaps you’d care to comment on putinks behaviour in Ukraine, Syria and Georgia amongst others?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I explained why I asked already. Putins behaviour in Ukraine is awful. As is all war instigated for any reason other than in the name of defence. Iraq, Afghan, Yemen, Palestine, on and on. We are a despicable race of creature.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Could be, (BIG) but..

"While the UAE and Saudi Arabia are the most likely candidates for having spare capacity that could be turned on on short notice, they are already producing to quota. Producing more would be a violation of the OPEC agreement—and more importantly, the OPEC+ agreement that it made with other countries, including Russia.

Neither Saudi Arabia nor the UAE is likely to do anything to upset this hard-fought alliance. But that doesn’t mean that they would be opposed to getting the rest of the group on board; not because President Biden attempted to ask again, but because oil prices are calling for it.

The hurdle, however, will be getting Russia—the largest non-OPEC member in the alliance—on board with this plan'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1501556301461172232[/tweet]

Horrendous

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I explained why I asked already. Putins behaviour in Ukraine is awful. As is all war instigated for any reason other than in the name of defence. Iraq, Afghan, Yemen, Palestine, on and on. We are a despicable race of creature.

Putins behaviour is awful …is that it?

Care to comment on his records regards human rights, oppression of any form of opposition and the murder of dissidents abroad?

The man is close to joining to the likes of Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and Amin to name few but you thinks he’s just ‘awful’?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Out of interest, did you feel as bad when Syria was getting annihilated and entire cities levelled? I'm not meaning to be provocative, I'm genuinely intrigued why people (my friends at least) seem to be way more upset now than during other recent events that were equally bad or worse.

It amazes me that some people can't see why this war is more shocking and saddening for most of us here. Surely for most people it's pretty obvious why?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Russia do not target hospitals"

Oh, ok Vlad. Its those pesky Ukrainian Nazis shelling the shit out of their own cities, murdering men women and children, displacing millions of civilians into bunkers, cellars and then forced into the long, dark uncertainty of a homeless refugee future.

Even now, in the face of what the world is witnessing, Russia perpetuate their lies. The shite they come out with would be laughable, if the whole situation wasn't so tragic. Putin is Hitler Mk2, and the sooner someone fires a bullet in the back of his head the better.

Why was that sudden heart attack visited on Shane Warne and not this c*nt. Proves that there is no God.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is something I read earlier this evening, about the history of Russia & Ukraine. I had no idea of the genocide through starvation. (Copied and pasted)

Without an understanding of history reality is evasive and the future adversely impacted.

At the entrance to the Kiev Memorial Park there is a sculpture of a very thin girl with an extremely sad look holding several classes of wheat in her hands. Behind her back is the Candle of Remembrance, a monument with details reminiscent of authentic embroidery that can be found on traditional Ukrainian costumes. This is a monument that marks the historical event known as Holodomor (Hladomor). But what is Holodomor and what crime does this monument even symbolize?

At the end of World War I Ukraine was an independent state, but it was governed by the Soviet Union in 1919. "sucked" into the community of Soviet states. Ukrainians, who then considered themselves a Central European nation like Poland, not an Eastern European like the Russians, were trying to restore Ukraine's independence.

Not wanting to lose control of Europe's main grain, Stalin in 1932. resorted to one of the most heinous forms of terror against a nation. In the process of nationalization, he took the grainy land from Ukrainian peasants, and all its yields, creating artificial hunger. The goal was to "teach Ukrainians" so that they would no longer oppose official Moscow. Thus, the nation that produced the most wheat in Europe was left without a crumb of bread. The peak of the Holodomor was in the spring of 1933. In Ukraine, 17 people starved to death every minute, over 1000 every hour, and almost 24500 every day! People were literally starving to death on the streets.

In the emptied Ukrainian villages Stalin settled the Russian population. During the next census, there was a large population shortage. Therefore, the Soviet government abolished the census, destroyed the census documentation, and the censusers were shot or sent to gulag, to completely hide the truth.

It was in Holodomor during 1932-1933. hunger killed between seven and ten million people, more than Jews in World War II. Their toxic gas was hunger. Their Hitler was Stalin. Their holocaust was Gladomor. For them fascist Berlin was Soviet Moscow, and their concentration camp was the Soviet Union. Today, 28 countries of the world classify the Holodomor as a genocide, and you could not teach about it in school because almost all evidence has been destroyed, and the victim was silenced for decades and had no say until recently.

The Holodomor may have temporarily broken the Ukrainian resistance, but it made the desire for Ukraine's independence from Russia eternal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not saying I'm doubting the reports, but as soon as a war breaks it seems like one side always claims hospitals / schools / kindergartens have been attacked?
The way Russia conducts its wars is very different to the way the West now conducts theirs. But not so different from the bombing in WW2.

Why would any army target them? It would surely be counter-productive?
To break the will of the people. If they're watching people die all around them, the people may surrender. Ukraine's military can't really keep fighting if the citizens give up.

It's also because Russia isn't capable of winning by solely targeting Ukraine's military. It's very expensive to try and do that. They don't even have control of the skies yet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Out of interest, did you feel as bad when Syria was getting annihilated and entire cities levelled? I'm not meaning to be provocative, I'm genuinely intrigued why people (my friends at least) seem to be way more upset now than during other recent events that were equally bad or worse.

I don't recall being less sad for those in Syria, personally. There is considerable Islamaphobia in the UK though, which I recall hardened hearts regarding refugees among people I know. I don't know if they are any less nervous about Ukrainian refugees, but as it is mostly old people, women and children, I suspect they will be less concerned. One argument I heard at the time against Syrian men coming as refugees was they should be in their country fighting the war, you won't hear that one much this time, but I always used to ask people which side of the fighting they would join if they were Syrian, the Dictator Assad, Isil or Al-Nusra? A lot of combatants in Syria all fighting each other, and several of them totally abhorrent.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is the dangerous time in avoiding an escalation and WW3. Events such as today will start driving people to call for the west to “do something”, driven not by logic but by emotion. And snap decisions led through emotions seldom end well.

NATO cannot, must not, intervene. However hard that may be.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
28 countries of the world classify the Holodomor as a genocide,.

The United Kingdom is not one of those 28 countries, as the Holodomor pre-dates the 1948 UN Convention on Genocide which established genocide as a concept in international law and international law cannot be applied retrospectively.

Should the UK now do more to acknowledge these killings?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I explained why I asked already. Putins behaviour in Ukraine is awful.
He sure has been a bit naughty hasn't he.

As is all war instigated for any reason other than in the name of defence. Iraq, Afghan, Yemen, Palestine, on and on. We are a despicable race of creature.
Speak for yourself. There are billions of people who are anything but despicable.

Was certainly is awful, but the behaviour of some leaders in war is far worse than others. That's why there are things called 'war crimes', which Putin is alleged to have committed.

While everyone else seems to be disgusted by what Putin is doing, you're just saying 'yeah it's bad, but everyone is bad, so it's no different really'. I find that quite disgusting to be honest.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s already proven the four are absent without leave.

Soldiers are trained to obey orders from their senior officers, not to take off to wherever they feel like it.
Yes I'm aware of that, but there's still got to be a hearing before any conviction right? A court martial would be that hearing, and that would determine whether any punishment is required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here