Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is the dangerous time in avoiding an escalation and WW3. Events such as today will start driving people to call for the west to “do something”, driven not by logic but by emotion. And snap decisions led through emotions seldom end well.

NATO cannot, must not, intervene. However hard that may be.

Stand by and watch kids die from bombs. Most admirable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes I'm aware of that, but there's still got to be a hearing before any conviction right? A court martial would be that hearing, and that would determine whether any punishment is required.

Which is why I said there would ba a court martial. The punishment is automatic. At least we don’t shoot deserters now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Hell of a lot more kids would die in a nuclear war.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The United Kingdom is not one of those 28 countries, as the Holodomor pre-dates the 1948 UN Convention on Genocide which established genocide as a concept in international law and international law cannot be applied retrospectively.
Which presumably means that the UK doesn't recognise the Holocaust as genocide? Whatever we recognise that Holocaust as, we should be recognising the Holodomor as.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is why I said there would ba a court martial. The punishment is automatic.
So it's impossible for a court martial to not send these soldiers to prison? That's weird.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't recall being less sad for those in Syria, personally. There is considerable Islamaphobia in the UK though, which I recall hardened hearts regarding refugees among people I know. I don't know if they are any less nervous about Ukrainian refugees, but as it is mostly old people, women and children, I suspect they will be less concerned. One argument I heard at the time against Syrian men coming as refugees was they should be in their country fighting the war, you won't hear that one much this time, but I always used to ask people which side of the fighting they would join if they were Syrian, the Dictator Assad, Isil or Al-Nusra? A lot of combatants in Syria all fighting each other, and several of them totally abhorrent.

To be fair, we had two parliamentary votes about whether we should bomb Syria two years apart. Each vote was whether to bomb and came up negative, even though the British Parliament voted whether to bomb the opposite side each time :facepalm:

But let's get back to the current issue and the current hypocrisy with Ukraine. My neighbour (who I mentioned earlier, only child with Ukrainian Parents) has been so relieved since she heard that her parents have managed to get from Kyiv to Prague after being uncontactable for 6 days.

They are now trying to get here so their only daughter can look after them, knowing no one in Prague and paying daily for a hotel. Her mum has a visa, as she was over when I last chatted to her a few weeks ago, but her father's has run out. They have been to the British consulate in Prague three times now, and my neighbours have been on the phone everyday since she got the call that were in Prague. Nothing so far, but her father has an appointment to go through the paperwork at the consulate next week.

I'm so glad that we are checking that her parents (both in their 80s and both of whom I've known for the last 8 years(ish) aren't Russian KGB agents before we let them in. After all, our Government can't be too careful about keeping KGB Agents out, even though it seems to be of no concern, when compared against humanitarian support for every other Government across the globe can :wanker:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hell of a lot more kids would die in a nuclear war.
So you think there's no line at all? Putin could kill 20 million people in Ukraine, and you'd still say the West should not intervene?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So you think there's no line at all? Putin could kill 20 million people in Ukraine, and you'd still say the West should not intervene?

So you’d be happy to risk the deaths of 7 Billion people instead?

The end of life on this planet is a massive, massive cost to be paid for acting. A cost I don’t believe is anywhere near being worth paying at this time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why are posters defending the indefensible with Putin. He is a murderer of Children, women and Grandparents all supposedly being oppressed

Because of the any enemy of NATO / America is a friend of mine syndrome.

Some on the far left are also far too obsessed with the presumed modern threat of "Nazism" they are quite happy to sympathise with a nationalistic homophobic child bombing ex-KGB officer.

Throw in the QAnon hat stand fruit loopism that believes that Putin and Trump are working in alliance to destroy the Ukrainian facilities created by Dr Anthony Fauci to create Covid.

Biden is helping the Ukrainians keep them open apparently.

Some of these guys really should meet up. They probably read the same websites.

Yoda

English & European

The vast majority of the Russian Military hardware is out of date and no match for NATO. Putin knows this and as soon as we get involved without provocation to NATO that is all it's going to need for him to reach for that big red button.

Then it won't just be Ukrainians dying, it will eventually be the whole planet once a Nuclear winter sets in.

Putin has already basically said he's prepared for that by saying "Why do we need a World if Russia is not in it."

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Watching question time, most of the audience want ww3 by the sounds of it. The panel say putin will face war crimes, does anyone think he'll let that happen?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The vast majority of the Russian Military hardware is out of date and no match for NATO. Putin knows this and as soon as we get involved without provocation to NATO that is all it's going to need for him to reach for that big red button.

Then it won't just be Ukrainians dying, it will eventually be the whole planet once a Nuclear winter sets in.

Putin has already basically said he's prepared for that by saying "Why do we need a World if Russia is not in it."

If he has bowel cancer, as suggested in some conspiracy theories, and has been avoiding Covid as he makes his expansion plans for Russia as his legacy we should be very worried. He won’t be giving a **** about world annihilation when thwarted in his lockdown project if he’s not long for this world.

Now where’s my tinfoil hat

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watching question time, most of the audience want ww3 by the sounds of it. The panel say putin will face war crimes, does anyone think he'll let that happen?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

He probably will however he will be in absentia when it happens

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Not sure if its been mentioned regarding the Polish Migs, but apparently not quite so straightforward. Guy from RUSI on the radio today saying the cockpits in them would have been reconfigured so they can operate connected to other NATO aircraft, so they will be different to what the Ukrainian pilots are used to. Would require training in them in order for them to be used effectively. That and the escalation factor looks to have put this idea on the back-burner

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
To be fair, we had two parliamentary votes about whether we should bomb Syria two years apart. Each vote was whether to bomb and came up negative, even though the British Parliament voted whether to bomb the opposite side each time :facepalm:

But let's get back to the current issue and the current hypocrisy with Ukraine. My neighbour (who I mentioned earlier, only child with Ukrainian Parents) has been so relieved since she heard that her parents have managed to get from Kyiv to Prague after being uncontactable for 6 days.

They are now trying to get here so their only daughter can look after them, knowing no one in Prague and paying daily for a hotel. Her mum has a visa, as she was over when I last chatted to her a few weeks ago, but her father's has run out. They have been to the British consulate in Prague three times now, and my neighbours have been on the phone everyday since she got the call that were in Prague. Nothing so far, but her father has an appointment to go through the paperwork at the consulate next week.

I'm so glad that we are checking that her parents (both in their 80s and both of whom I've known for the last 8 years(ish) aren't Russian KGB agents before we let them in. After all, our Government can't be too careful about keeping KGB Agents out, even though it seems to be of no concern, when compared against humanitarian support for every other Government across the globe can :wanker:

the consulate need to know if they're Russian KGB agents so they can invite them into the house of lords

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The deliberate bombing of a children's hospital in Mariupol today is almost inviting the NATO countries to intervene and given Putin that pretext he is after.

We have to hope that the sanctions begin to bite soon and that the Russians turn against their leader. I do not see how this ends well for Russia or for Putin.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
He probably will however he will be in absentia when it happens

I'm pretty sure that season 4 of Absentia has been cancelled so I can't see that happening.
Another one of his schemes not going to plan.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because of the any enemy of NATO / America is a friend of mine syndrome.

Some on the far left are also far too obsessed with the presumed modern threat of "Nazism" they are quite happy to sympathise with a nationalistic homophobic child bombing ex-KGB officer.

Throw in the QAnon hat stand fruit loopism that believes that Putin and Trump are working in alliance to destroy the Ukrainian facilities created by Dr Anthony Fauci to create Covid.

Biden is helping the Ukrainians keep them open apparently.

Some of these guys really should meet up. They probably read the same websites.

Imagine loudly proclaiming your support for someone or something, over a long period of time, to then rather naïvely discover you were actually 'batting for the other side' all along without realising. I really can't imagine envisage what you would do, other than change your account, obviously :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The deliberate bombing of a children's hospital in Mariupol today is almost inviting the NATO countries to intervene and given Putin that pretext he is after.

We have to hope that the sanctions begin to bite soon and that the Russians turn against their leader. I do not see how this ends well for Russia or for Putin.

Mariupol childrens hospital + 1300 civilian deaths, sponsored by your friendly EU gas and oil imports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here