Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Brand denied entry to Canada. But what is your opinion of him?

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Just finished Bookie Wook 2 and found it absolutely hilarious (as was his first book). They are laugh out loud funny.

He is very funny and intelligent/eloquent. Yes he has a massive ego, is sex obsessed and contstantly seeks the limelight but he freely admits this and it is part of who he is.

When looked at retrospectively he will be seen as one of the great comedians of our time. I truly believe that!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My opinion.

He's a :tosser:

(he speaks highly of me too)

TJx

The WOMEN'S opinion!
Aug 19, 2011
Withdean
:lol: To be honest i wouldnt know WHAT category id put him in

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Very, very clever and funny bloke. He's far more naturally funny than 95% of comedians out there currently.

You think....

Comedy is a very subjective thing. If there is one test - whether you can make people laugh in small club. Packing out arenas isn't a test in my opinion.

I've started to go to comedy again recently, usually the Banana Cabaret in Balham.

Seen some fantastic comedians in there who will never make the big time, seen some awful ones in there who might. But whether they make me laugh in there - is my test.

I've also seen some big names die, but some big names do a completely different act and storm it. Harry Hill was one - like him or not, very accomplished doing simple stand up.

I tend to like comedians who target a particular niche - or put it another way, work what what there core audience is and make a living out of keeping them happy.

Russell Brand "the brand" appear to targeted at a certain age group, so it's going to be interesting what he decides to do as his audience get older.

My personal favourite at the moment is Stewart Lee. Whether you find him funny or not is subjective, but he's definitely very very clever. His act is extraordinary.

Has to be seen live, he doesn't really work on TV.

Last edited:

It's not harsh, it's just inaccurate. You may not like him, but to suggest he is talentless is just factually incorrect.

I.....that means *I* do not think he has talent.
For some f***ed-up reason, my opinion is "factually incorrect"?

No son, it's right on the money - I don't care if he was ever a junkie, or that he laughed about shagging some ugly emo chick relative of a minor actor.
He's not in the least bit talented, and I judge that on his never EVER having made me chuckle even slightly while he's been masquerading as a 'comedian'.

"Russell Brand denied entry to Canada. But what is your opinion of him?" was the original question. I've given my opinion, it's not for questioning - it's MY opinion.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Well, yes.

If you can juggle, and I don't like your juggling, it's still a talent you possess. If you can spin poi, and I'm not impressed, it is still a talent.

Russell, whether you laugh or not, has the ability to make a room for of people laugh. That is a talent. It isn't an opinion thing. His talent may not entertain you, his humour may not be to your liking, that is opinion. Whether he has talent or not, is not an opinion thing, it's a factual thing.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

No son, it's right on the money - I don't care if he was ever a junkie, or that he laughed about shagging some ugly emo chick relative of a minor actor.
He's not in the least bit talented, and I judge that on his never EVER having made me chuckle even slightly while he's been masquerading as a 'comedian'.

"Russell Brand denied entry to Canada. But what is your opinion of him?" was the original question. I've given my opinion, it's not for questioning - it's MY opinion.

Haha looks like old russ has been getting someone's else's share of women !
Calm down mate :D

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Dad, is that you?

Granted I'm being arguementative, but I'm going to go with it anyway :)
The fact that he's never even slightly made you chuckle means you don't share the same sense of humour, it doesn't mean he's talentless. You could use your same arguement to justify an opinion that Einstein was not in any way intelligent. Some subjects may seem as if they are totally about opinion, but there are factual elements within them. Anyone saying that Einstein had no intelligence can argue that it's their opinion and indisputable, but I disagree, they are just wrong. And, although not to anything like the same extent, I think it is wrong to say that Brand is totally without talent. You may find Lenny Henry funnier than Brand, but that doesn't mean the guy has no talent. I'd also suggest that given you think he's talentless, you don't listen to him on the radio, watch movies he's in etc, so you won't have seen all that he has to offer.

You could have said that it was your opinion that he never existed, that doesn't make you right, just because you said MY opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, yes.

If you can juggle, and I don't like your juggling, it's still a talent you possess. If you can spin poi, and I'm not impressed, it is still a talent.

Russell, whether you laugh or not, has the ability to make a room for of people laugh. That is a talent. It isn't an opinion thing. His talent may not entertain you, his humour may not be to your liking, that is opinion. Whether he has talent or not, is not an opinion thing, it's a factual thing.
Bloody hell, someone agrees with me - I didn't expect that :)

Dad, is that you?

Granted I'm being arguementative, but I'm going to go with it anyway :)
The fact that he's never even slightly made you chuckle means you don't share the same sense of humour, it doesn't mean he's talentless. You could use your same arguement to justify an opinion that Einstein was not in any way intelligent. Some subjects may seem as if they are totally about opinion, but there are factual elements within them. Anyone saying that Einstein had no intelligence can argue that it's their opinion and indisputable, but I disagree, they are just wrong. And, although not to anything like the same extent, I think it is wrong to say that Brand is totally without talent. You may find Lenny Henry funnier than Brand, but that doesn't mean the guy has no talent. I'd also suggest that given you think he's talentless, you don't listen to him on the radio, watch movies he's in etc, so you won't have seen all that he has to offer.

You could have said that it was your opinion that he never existed, that doesn't make you right, just because you said MY opinion.

Oh, alright then.
I once made someone laugh. Just one person.

I AM TALENTED!

Fact. :rolleyes:

Well, yes.

See my talented post above.
I also sing karaoke.
Talented, me. Innit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here