Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royal Wedding (29th April) - how important is it to you?

What do you think of the Royal Wedding on 29th April?

• I will be watching it avidly

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • I may watch it if there's nothing else to do and it passes the time

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Largely indifferent

Votes: 42 21.2%
  • Really couldn't give a toss

Votes: 125 63.1%

• Total voters

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Only one important wedding this year and it ain't happening in April!

Whilst I'm no great fan of the Royal Family I'm no republican either. I think this is a pleasant enough feel good story though. Personally I probably won't watch it but the other half may well be checking out the dress.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll wager a lot of people dismissing the event now will secretly watch the wedding vows bit and feel a bit proud to be British at the same time. For me it's a good chance to get all the family together to have a bit of lunch, a few drinks and see a bit of history.

He's a good bloke, she's reasonably fit, they're a nice couple. Good luck to them.

I'll wager a lot of people dismissing the event now will secretly watch the wedding vows bit and feel a bit proud to be British at the same time. For me it's a good chance to get all the family together to have a bit of lunch, a few drinks and see a bit of history.

He's a good bloke, she's reasonably fit, they're a nice couple. Good luck to them.

Blimey Pav, never had you down as a royalist.

I honestly couldn't give a flying fig about the event. I love the fact that we get an extra days holiday, and am taking the Mrs up to the lake district for a long weekend as a result, but I can honestly say that I will not watch nor read any part of the buildup or the wedding itself. If they want to get married, good for them, hope they enjoy it, but it's a deeply personal thing to share with friends and family, why would I care or be interested?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the only way i will watch it is if someone ties me up ........i really couldn't give a toss , although the missus and daughters will probably wan't to watch it..........it's on our wedding anniversary as well cvnts...:moo:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a royalist per se, I just don't trust politicians and think the royal family is the lesser of two evils. Plus the fact abolishing the Royal Family would basically be apeing the French, which is a horrible thought.

I think losing Diana has created a 14 year vacuum where nothing much has happened while William and Harry grow up. Unfortunately, in that time much apathy has crept in as demonstrated by the results of this poll.

Personally, I think the Queen should have abdicated in 2003 after her Golden Jubilee. Charles could then have had 10 good years before handing over to William. The person I blame is Edward VIII for giving abdication a bad name.

I'm not a royalist per se, I just don't trust politicians and think the royal family is the lesser of two evils. Plus the fact abolishing the Royal Family would basically be apeing the French, which is a horrible thought.

I actually agree with this - I'm certainly not a republican, and think the monarch method works pretty well. However, I just don't get the level of interest in the royal family, in the same way that I don't care about what David Cameron's family arrangements are. If the Queen is there to oversee the government, great, good to know she's there. I can just about see the interest in an heir to the throne being born, but you could probably just as justifiably check the admissions lists for PPE at Oxford every year to find out about the next Prime Minister!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a strange thing to say.

Politicians in this country are among the most accountable in the world whereas the whole British apparatus is geared up to support an absolutely disgraceful state of affairs. Basically the Royal family make up the rules as they go along to suit themselves, ably supported by the BBC and other institutions who are led by cowtowing types who are then promised a title on retirement.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I just hope on the big day the weather is ok............so that I can get a round of golf in and that I can sit out in the pub garden after.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Organising a "Not the Royal Wedding Breakfast", when we're going out on our motorbikes for the day in an attempt to avoid all things Regal and Matrimonial - more importantly I shall be preparing myself for the last Home Game at Withdean the following day!
:amex: punk: :bhasign:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Working as normal due to it not being an official paid bank holiday.

this is the memo from my company:

Re: Bank Holiday 29th April 2011

The government has announced that Friday 29th April 2011 will be a bank holiday, to celebrate the Royal Wedding. However, while the extra day has been announced, there is no increase in the statutory entitlement for holidays. Guidance can be found in the staff handbook regarding the Company’s holiday policy and payment of bank holidays.

while i don't give a monkey's about the wedding, a day on the lash would have been nice.

Is this legal? It seems unlikely....
Name and shame the bastards mate......and phone up lawyers4you or somebody!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
not at all interested in any of it, and wont be having a day off either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here