Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest pub you have ever been in?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
cant think what made them dislike you :yahoo:

It's cos they caught me talking to a toff from Haywards Heath and sent me away to toughen me up.

I don't know Tooting so I can't comment on it, it sounds ghastly though. the kind of place where lazy poor people may come from .Now I really have had enough of your childish ramblings. I have some bin-bags to iron.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
a couple come to mind

walking into a pub in Brixton and becoming aware as I wallked to the bar that it had gone completely silent. I looked around and realised I was the only white person in the pub. . . . . . . . . bought a bottle to take out.:nono:

pub in Birmingham in the mid seventies. I was asked to move to the other bar while they made a collection (for the IRA) then "allowed" back to my original seat after the collectors had left:rolleyes:

Do you remember what pub it was or where in Brixton it was?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tooting is WELL nice. There's a really nice bar by Tooting Broadway tube called the Tooting Tram and Social. It's WELL nice. Amstel on tap, two screens showing the footer, nice long bar. I really recommend it to anyone visiting Tooting soon.

Turn right out of tooting Broadway station and walk down about 100 yards, it's opposite a KFC (bonus).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's cos they caught me talking to a toff from Haywards Heath and sent me away to toughen me up.

I don't know Tooting so I can't comment on it, it sounds ghastly though. the kind of place where lazy poor people may come from .Now I really have had enough of your childish ramblings. I have some bin-bags to iron.
dont know something so cant comment ? thats never seemed to stop you before .:lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Southern Belle in Gillingham in a dump. Remember being in there after they beat us 4-2 a few seasons back, some of Gillinghams idiots came past the pub looking for trouble, so a selection of Albion fans steamed out of the pub and the usual mayhem ensued. Fine, expect whilst this was going on, the Birdie Song was playing on the pub jukebox.

I remember a Robinsons pub not far from the station for Oldham town centre being interesting.

Oh and a place in Hartlepool last season that had no beer on tap, just cans.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The roughest pub I remember was The Propellor just down from Croydon Aerodrome on the Purley Way.
Lovely place - haven't been back !!

Don't bother. Last time I passed it was boarded up and looked ready to be knocked down.

Funnily enough I think that was the week it also made it into the Evening Standard Best Places for a Night out in Croydon list.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tell, a lie. I have been in Tooting. It has a massive Lido and is near Balham? If that's the place it aint that rough. Nice big common too.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Do you remember what pub it was or where in Brixton it was?

It sounds very similar to the place I went to. This was on Stockwell Road, about half a mile down from The Swan (by Stockwell Tube station) towards Brixton Academy.

There were two of us and we were quite drunk. The only white people in the building and let's just say, they were not very welcoming. :laugh:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Tell, a lie. I have been in Tooting. It has a massive Lido and is near Balham? If that's the place it aint that rough. Nice big common too.
so having a lido and a common stops somewhere being rough ?maybe it isnt that rough but at least i dont try to sound rough by using words like aint you prat,mate your showing yourself up for the wannabe you are by making such an issue about where is or isnt hard or rough, anyone who comes from an average working class area could spot you a mile off, with your amateurish observations about the " roughness "of an area, or the readiness with which you were ready to slaughter me for living in haywards heath .you shouldnt pigeonhole people so readily , because one day you will probably do it to someone in person and you will get hurt

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
so having a lido and a common stops somewhere being rough ? mate your showing yourself up for the wannabe you are by making such an issue about where is or isnt hard or rough, anyone who comes from an average working class area could spot you a mile off, with your amateurish observations about the " roughness "of an area, or the readiness with which you were ready to slaughter me for living in haywards heath .you shouldnt pigeonhole people so readily , because one day you will probably do it to someone in person and you will get hurt

I never tried to hide the fact that I'm middle class. I am glad I am not on the breadline.Then again I also spent time in a shitehole like Belfast with no money so it's swings and roundabouts. Now I have some money and am glad to be away from shit like that, quite happy to admit it . You are the one who was so quick to qualify your living in Haywards with the "But I grew up rough" line.
I haven't pigeon holed anyone. You are the one here trying to convince us you grew up rough. I would just leave it there if I were you.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I never tried to hide the fact that I'm middle class. I am glad I am not on the breadline.Then again I also spent time in a shitehole like Belfast with no money so it's swings and roundabouts. Now I have some money and am glad to be away from shit like that, quite happy to admit it . You are the one who was so quick to qualify your living in Haywards with the "But I grew up rough" line.
I haven't pigeon holed anyone. You are the one here trying to convince us you grew up rough. I would just leave it there if I were you.
i havent tried to "convince" anyone of anything ive just stated facts and corrected you inaccurate assumptions.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first few times that I went to the Hikers I wasn't a local and I certainly didn't feel threatened.

The HR is a normal local boozer. I'm absolutely staggered that anyone could describe it as rough - I've known any trouble there. Put it this way, the mothers from the local toddlers' group hold their regular management meetings there - I don't think that a pub that holds such meetings could really be described as rough.

Thanks for the reply Gwylan. I was just curious about it's reputation.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
That doesnt sound very funny!
To be honest I actually ran! It turned out to be something to do with a man who was standing behind me owing some other guy (who was getting out of the car with a shotgun in front of me) money. I was only 16.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
To be honest I actually ran! It turned out to be something to do with a man who was standing behind me owing some other guy (who was getting out of the car with a shotgun in front of me) money. I was only 16.

I can remeber that!!!

Did you go to Boundstone as we would have been in the same year???

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Back When Derby Used To Play At The Baseball Ground There Was A Pub Near There That Was Lethal. You Half Expected To See Han Solo And Obi Wan Kenobe Discussing Things In The Corner.
Went to the Baseball Ground a few times and always went in the same pub.It was a few hundred yards from the ground and called something like The Jubilee City or City of Jubilee.It was as rough as f*ck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here