Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

robinson- will he actually play at all?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
12 goals from 126 games for a "striker" is appaling. Dont think he will ever fulfil his potential here. A move will be good for him come the end of the year, can't see him doing enough to get another contract here.

He came to the club as a Striker. But he was classed as being too small and lightweight, so has been used in many other postitions, Midfield, Winger, etc. Last season Wilkins used him much more as a winger than a striker, when he got onto the pitch.

So in those 126 games, he probably hasn't played as a striker in 60% of them. So 12 goals in 50 looks like a slightly better record. As good as some of our other players that have played upfront, that the board goes mental over.

He defintely is a confidence player, who needs to play from the start, rather than be given a 10 minute cameo at the end. When he first got into the side, he seemed to have a good game, and then get left out of the next one. Not good for a players morale and belief in his own ability.

As you can probably tell I'm still a Robinson fan, and I hope he can get a decent go in the team this season. If he can, I think 12 to 14 goals from him with our other strikers getting 15 to 20 each, we could have a good chance of automatic promotion. I would hope he will still be in the team/squad when Falmer is our home ground :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
oooh, you've got up on your high horse haven't you. Waving smilie, very damning.

I don't recall saying or giving the impression my opinion was more valid than anyone else's, I was pointing out to you there are different views from people 1. people that don't rate him therefore criticise and others who think he's a good player and that was it. And it irritates me when people think because he's had one good game (in a long, very long time) he's proved people wrong. I can only speak for myself when I say, he can score on the first game of the season, he can do a few step-overs, he can have the most fantastic game of his career, but I will continue to think that he is shit. ...(And you may continue to think what you like about him too)

Don't use the 'it's an opinion forum' one, it's old and boring.

Yes old boring and TRUE!

And fancey judging people on smilies - you're a wind up merchant :bla:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Yes old boring and TRUE!

And fancey judging people on smilies - you're a wind up merchant :bla:

My point was, your attack on what I said was ridiculous. You had a go at people for holding high standards for him and giving him stick, I only pointed out that the people that have these high standards are different from the ones that didn't rate him in the first place. It did not warrant you telling me I was arrogant etc... It also was slightly strange that you told me it was an opinion forum (that I'm well aware of) I have no problem with people expressing their view but what you said was having a go at people, and that's different.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sorry but that really is cobblers.
Robinson is NOT a natural goalscorer. He doesn't find the space that his pace should really enable, he just doesn't have the instinct in front of goal, and frankly he's a bit of a bottler when it comes to going in for the ball. Through ball and an onrushing keeper ? Robinson will practically turn and run towards the corner flag rather than risk getting clattered. This is patently NOT a goalscorer, as his stats prove beyond doubt. If you're wanting goals, this fella is not your man.

The only role I can see for him is an an impact sub on the right wing, against tiring legs. He is quite direct and will run at defenders at pace. He has the ability to "get round the back", and if he improves on his delivery, then he could be an asset as a bit-part player from the bench.

But as a striker ? Forget it.

The point i was making Easy was that 5 years ago he had an unbelievable record of goalscoring in the reserves and youth so obviously was a natural finisher... I doubt you saw any of his reserve games and are just judging him on 1st team games - i know he's not proved himself at this level yet but what i meant was he obviously does have an eye for goal in there somewhere - agreed?!

I think whatever level you play at you are either a natural finisher / goal scorer naturally. I personally think no manager has given Jake a long enough run in the team to prove himself...

It was like 40 goals for the ressies i think...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes, absolutely.

So now you think he's an asset from the bench?

So you've changed ur mind from 'He's not good enough' to 'He could be an asset from the bench' in about half an hr yeh?!!!

:lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My point was, your attack on what I said was ridiculous. You had a go at people for holding high standards for him and giving him stick, I only pointed out that the people that have these high standards are different from the ones that didn't rate him in the first place. It did not warrant you telling me I was arrogant etc... It also was slightly strange that you told me it was an opinion forum (that I'm well aware of) I have no problem with people expressing their view but what you said was having a go at people, and that's different.

No i WASN'T having a go at anyone really. It is about opinions but you popped up from no where and said something like 'in case u missed it earlier' and then posted your opinion - like yours is more importsnt than anyone - how long have you properly supported the Albion and taken note of all the players etc? (and i'm genuinly asking that, not taking the piss or doing a i know more than you shit...!) :thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2003
The point i was making Easy was that 5 years ago he had an unbelievable record of goalscoring in the reserves and youth so obviously was a natural finisher... I doubt you saw any of his reserve games and are just judging him on 1st team games - i know he's not proved himself at this level yet but what i meant was he obviously does have an eye for goal in there somewhere - agreed?!

I think whatever level you play at you are either a natural finisher / goal scorer naturally. I personally think no manager has given Jake a long enough run in the team to prove himself...

its always good to have an eye for a goal. Unfortunately thats often not enough, it needs to be coupled with good movement, good positioning, as well as atleast one other thing, such as pace, strength, arial ability etc.

scoring that level of goals at that level shows that he does have the natural ability to score goals, but the fact that he has yet to show little else in terms of 'good striker attributes' indicates that he MAY never make it as a striker

the likes of mcphee, ramsay and gatting have all scored for fun at youth/reserve level but have struggled at senior level

i agree with badger here, i think he could be a very good 'in the hole' type player, or even on the wing in a front 3 (i dont think he has the defensive attributes to be a right midfielder)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well, we've had a plethora of strikers over the years who can regularly bang them in against all the crocks, kids and trialists you get at reserve team level. Unfortunately, as we've seen with the likes of McPhee, Gatting, Elder et-al, it provides NO worthwhile barometer as to how they'll fare in the first team - the jump-up in class is HUGE, and Robinson isn't the first (and won't be the last) to find its too much of a leap for him.

Like Gatting and McPhee, Robinson will NEVER make it as a striker in the Football League. He is best putting his primary asset (pace) to use down the wings, because he can't score for toffee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
its always good to have an eye for a goal. Unfortunately thats often not enough, it needs to be coupled with good movement, good positioning, as well as atleast one other thing, such as pace, strength, arial ability etc.

scoring that level of goals at that level shows that he does have the natural ability to score goals, but the fact that he has yet to show little else in terms of 'good striker attributes' indicates that he MAY never make it as a striker

the likes of mcphee, ramsay and gatting have all scored for fun at youth/reserve level but have struggled at senior level

i agree with badger here, i think he could be a very good 'in the hole' type player, or even on the wing in a front 3 (i dont think he has the defensive attributes to be a right midfielder)

Agree 100% - as i said in the original post - i HOPE he proves th doubters wrong...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, we've had a plethora of strikers over the years who can regularly bang them in against all the crocks, kids and trialists you get at reserve team level. Unfortunately, as we've seen with the likes of McPhee, Gatting, Elder et-al, it provides NO worthwhile barometer as to how they'll fare in the first team - the jump-up in class is HUGE, and Robinson isn't the first (and won't be the last) to find its too much of a leap for him.

Like Gatting and McPhee, Robinson will NEVER make it as a striker in the Football League. He is best putting his primary asset (pace) to use down the wings, because he can't score for toffee.

Hat-trick at H'field is what he's about.

I agree he's been too in-consistent and understand people's frustration - for me he can score goals given a good run in the team and for me he's done OK so far but needs to prove himself...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would love it, LOVE IT if Robinson stuffed my words back down my throat, punched me in the FACE, then went on to bang in 20 goals for us next season.

But I think I'm safe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here