Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

robinson- will he actually play at all?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have given up thinking about Loft... but in a way he is just like Robinson. Has loads of potential but not enough in a position the club can use him. Robinson will never score enough goals and can't cross so that's it for him.

I have always said Loft would be a great player in the hole between midfield and a front two but we never play that way.... so think Loft's time with us is limited too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is it coincidental that he had a good spell out on loan to Aldershot and scored in the matches against non league sides in the cup but fails to do the same in the league.

My problem with him is to know what is his best position he is not a natural goalscorer to be up front and niether is he a natural winger.

Yes i agree - that is a good point - i really hope he can prove himself this yr...

I think he's a striker and really do think he IS DEFINATELY a natural goalscorer - but hasn't shown it / been given the chance to prove it in the first team yet. Remember his 30 or 40 odd goals for the reserves a few yrs back...

Hopefully he can prov the doubters wrong. One thing he does have is premier league quality movement and that is unquestionable. Whether you think he should play or not, he is a great squad player to have and can turn a game in my opinion...

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Good old Jake - must have known about this thread as it appears last night he proved himself again... He is a fantastic squad player and dunno why he gets so much stick - actually i do know... Everyone had too high expectations of him cos of all the hype...

Keep proving the doubters wrong mate...

In case you missed the post on page 2, here it is again...

Had his chance. Not up to the mark . Time to ship him out and replace with a better player.

69 starts, 57 apps as sub = 126 games, 12 goals

its not really very good for a player of his"quality"

The people that had high expectations for him are the people who think he has always been good and still is (that would mean you right?). On the other hand, others, who can actually see him for the player he is - not good enough are the ones giving him 'stick'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In case you missed the post on page 2, here it is again...

Had his chance. Not up to the mark . Time to ship him out and replace with a better player.

69 starts, 57 apps as sub = 126 games, 12 goals

its not really very good for a player of his"quality"

The people that had high expectations for him are the people who think he has always been good and still is (that would mean you right?). On the other hand, others, who can actually see him for the player he is - not good enough are the ones giving him 'stick'.

In case you missed the post on page 4 - i think he's a very good squad player to have.

In case you missed the point of this website you've joined recently - it's about opinions - things that people will always have different ones of - esp in football

In case you missed the point of the thread - your opinion is not any more valid than anyone else - you see mto think what YOU THINK is the essential point of every thread - bit arrogant if you ask me :bigwave:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
12 goals from 126 games for a "striker" is appaling. Dont think he will ever fulfil his potential here. A move will be good for him come the end of the year, can't see him doing enough to get another contract here.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
In case you missed the post on page 4 - i think he's a very good squad player to have.

In case you missed the point of this website you've joined recently - it's about opinions - things that people will always have different ones of - esp in football

In case you missed the point of the thread - your opinion is not any more valid than anyone else - you see mto think what YOU THINK is the essential point of every thread - bit arrogant if you ask me :bigwave:

oooh, you've got up on your high horse haven't you. Waving smilie, very damning.

I don't recall saying or giving the impression my opinion was more valid than anyone else's, I was pointing out to you there are different views from people 1. people that don't rate him therefore criticise and others who think he's a good player and that was it. And it irritates me when people think because he's had one good game (in a long, very long time) he's proved people wrong. I can only speak for myself when I say, he can score on the first game of the season, he can do a few step-overs, he can have the most fantastic game of his career, but I will continue to think that he is shit. ...(And you may continue to think what you like about him too)

Don't use the 'it's an opinion forum' one, it's old and boring.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Regarding Loft, I can think of four or five away games he came on in last season and played well, often changing the match in our favour. Unfortunately, several of these were at places where few albion fans went. Hartlepool being one, Doncaster another, and Cheltenham and Yeovil too. What he hasn't done is put in a significant performance at Withdean, hence the majority of people simply brand him 'useless.' I know there will be those who saw those matches and still think he's a waste of space, but in my opinion he's shown enough to deserve his place in the squad, and he's still young. Put it like this, he's shown a damn sight more skill, ability, and fight than someone like Fraser (who's the same age), yet noone's calling for him to be released.

As for Robinson, he's a class act on his day, but unfortunately his day only happens once every five games. I also think his best position is 'in the hole' behind the strikers, but you won't find teams at our level playing a formation to accomodate a player there. He's NOT a striker, and he's NOT a goalscorer, but he does have the ability to be a very good attacking midfielder. It just needs the right man to bring the performances out of him once a week rather than once a month.

I was at all the games that you claim Loft had an impact at and with the exception of Cheltenham and maybe Luton, he offered very little in any of those games.

Fraser may not have the same skill level, but he is a stronger player and does not disappear in games in the manner that Loft does.

Robinson needs to be written off now, after 100 odd games without doing much, it is time to cut our losses.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Buck is very wrong about Robinson.

According to wikipedia, he is pretty special :jester:

"... is renowned as a dangerous striker whose pace and movement is reminiscent of the England striker Michael Owen."

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I forgot Luton. He WAS good at Hartlepool, and he was possibly our best player in the second half at Yeovil (which was a dire match it has to be said). I'm not saying he's great, but I don't buy all this "worst player we've ever had," "totally out of his depth," stuff. Fraser may be a bit stronger (although he still looks like a kid), but does he really have any skill?

Robinson's only 21. That's too early to write someone off in my book. I can see why you're frustrated with him, but I think it's because he was put into the first team at least a couple of years before he should have been. It seems like he hasn't progressed, but he's still no worse than many of our other youngsters.

Fraser does have some skill, if you watch him without the blinkers on.

However his game is about protecting the defence, so strength, being good in the tackle and retaining possession are key to his game. He may not start attacks, but if he gets the ball to a better player, then he has done his job.

Robinson has had more than enough games to prove he is good enough, which he has never done on a consistent basis, so time to cut our losses.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Why do people use 'young' as a way out for a player??

Of course at children's level you can't rule anybody out, but at 21, players are more than capable of showing whether they've got something or not. If he looks like this at 21 there's not much potential there in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think he's a striker and really do think he IS DEFINATELY a natural goalscorer

One thing he does have is premier league quality movement and that is unquestionable.

I'm sorry but that really is cobblers.
Robinson is NOT a natural goalscorer. He doesn't find the space that his pace should really enable, he just doesn't have the instinct in front of goal, and frankly he's a bit of a bottler when it comes to going in for the ball. Through ball and an onrushing keeper ? Robinson will practically turn and run towards the corner flag rather than risk getting clattered. This is patently NOT a goalscorer, as his stats prove beyond doubt. If you're wanting goals, this fella is not your man.

The only role I can see for him is an an impact sub on the right wing, against tiring legs. He is quite direct and will run at defenders at pace. He has the ability to "get round the back", and if he improves on his delivery, then he could be an asset as a bit-part player from the bench.

But as a striker ? Forget it.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I'm sorry but that really is cobblers.
Robinson is NOT a natural goalscorer. He doesn't find the space that his pace should really enable, he just doesn't have the instinct in front of goal, and frankly he's a bit of a bottler when it comes to going in for the ball. Through ball and an onrushing keeper ? Robinson will practically turn and run towards the corner flag rather than risk getting clattered. This is patently NOT a goalscorer, as his stats prove beyond doubt. If you're wanting goals, this fella is not your man.

The only role I can see for him is an an impact sub on the right wing, against tiring legs. He is quite direct and will run at defenders at pace. He has the ability to "get round the back", and if he improves on his delivery, then he could be an asset as a bit-part player from the bench.

But as a striker ? Forget it.

Yes, absolutely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here