Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Fowler Coming

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robbie Fowler Coming

BensGrandad said:
It is not a question of having a rich chairman which everybody knows we do not have but a question of ambition.

We need to stay in this division and as such it is the boards DUTY to provide the essential materials needed i.e better players, how they do it is their problem not ours or MMs. He must be given the tools to carry out his trade if he is expected to do his job properly.
That's where you and I differ. I maintain it is the DUTY of the Board to run the club in a sound and responsible manner. That does not mean running up massive debts by 'chasing the dream' a la Peter Risdale (even if that dream is the distinctly low-rent one of trying to stay in the 2nd tier), nor does it mean jumping into bed with the first multi-millionaire who flashes a wad of cash (with a promise of more to come) in front of their noses.

Ambition is one thing, recklessness another.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rightlty or wrongly I believe that because of its popularity people will always come in and buy a football club the only question is on how much they will pay the present owners.

I also believe that even with our debts at The Goldstone, which were incidentally less than they are at present, somebody would have bought the club at a price and not had to sell the ground to pay those debts. Similarly now I believe that a certain amount needs to be 'speculated' to ensure our survival in The Championship nothing like what the likes of Cardiff, Sheff Utd etc could afford but certainly more than looking at a 26 year old non league unproven player, with no disrespect meant to him, could provide and would cost.

We do not know what is meant by DK 'funds will be available for a striker in January' whether it is a proven goal scorer or an unknown only MM knows and time will tell. If it is wrong we will be relegated and suffer tremendously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take it that person would have been one of your mates in the consortium then was it Brian?

You really have it in for DK dont you?

Anyway, now we have Falmer, your mates can come out of the woodwork and buy DK out of the club can't they then we can see if you are not just all talk cant we?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
BensGrandad said:
Rightlty or wrongly I believe that because of its popularity people will always come in and buy a football club the only question is on how much they will pay the present owners.

I also believe that even with our debts at The Goldstone, which were incidentally less than they are at present, somebody would have bought the club at a price and not had to sell the ground to pay those debts. Similarly now I believe that a certain amount needs to be 'speculated' to ensure our survival in The Championship nothing like what the likes of Cardiff, Sheff Utd etc could afford but certainly more than looking at a 26 year old non league unproven player, with no disrespect meant to him, could provide and would cost.

We do not know what is meant by DK 'funds will be available for a striker in January' whether it is a proven goal scorer or an unknown only MM knows and time will tell. If it is wrong we will be relegated and suffer tremendously.
At the moment it is more important to keep the club financially stable so that we can survive the next few years until we get into our new stadium. If we speculate to ensure our survival in this division what are we really getting if we achieve it? It's not as if we get massively bigger gates or loads more TV money. Chucking large wads of money around to stay in one division or another is what got us where we are now - or don't you remember Mike Bamber handing out ridiculous 10 year contracts in the 1980s.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BarrelofFun said:
Don't you think we have been through enough turmoil, to risk financial ruin again?

That wouldnt have happened as they had £80m set aside to buy the club etc but that is all water under the bridge now as I am not in contact with the main man now and he lives abroad and being semi retired I do not now have the same contacts that I did.

Incidentally Dave I do not have it in for DK I just believe that he is an opportunist who got the club for next to no investment and is still pushing along with no money and no hope or ambitions to better ourselves football wise.

I also believe that he has been given cult status for getting us back to Brighton and Falmer when he had no choice but to bring us back to Withdean and ANYBODY would have got planning permission for a ground somewhere in the Brighton area by now.

E

enigma

Jesus old man, you have no idea what you're talking about. But then weren't you the one that backed Archer and his chums? Enough said.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am sorry Brian but that is SHIT and you know it!!!

Are you seriously expecting us to believe that your consortium had £80 million to buy the club.....

Ok then, so lets say in some Wizard of Oz world you live in that they did have that sort of money, why did Archer not take them up on it...after all, the only money he purportedly came away with was the £2m he had put in to keep the club afloat before DK took over.

Are you saying that the £80 million was not worth as much as the £7 million Chartwell paid for the Goldstone? Assuming they sold the Goldstone on for £20 odd a few weeks later. the sums do not add up.

Either you are seriously shit stirring again, or you are living in some sort of fantasy land.

Maybe you and Horton are in this together

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
BensGrandad said:

I also believe that he has been given cult status for getting us back to Brighton and Falmer when he had no choice but to bring us back to Withdean and ANYBODY would have got planning permission for a ground somewhere in the Brighton area by now.

Idiot. DK had the right man in Martin Perry to manage the Falmer project. I seriously doubt many business people would have had the patience or determination to see this through. Money would not have made much difference to the timescale or outcome.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
enigma said:
[weren't you the one that backed Archer and his chums? . [/B]

No a company that I owned did some work for Greg Stanley.

That is in the past we must look foreward.

I want my grandchildren to see Brighton in the Premiership as one of the best teams in the land.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
No a company that I owned did some work for Greg Stanley.

That is in the past we must look foreward.

I want my grandchildren to see Brighton in the Premiership as one of the best teams in the land.

what without DK? because that is what you are suggesting

I take it you do not believe DK has the financial clout to bring us a stadium at Falmer...is that what this is all about?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I posted it slightly wrong in that they had £80m to spend on the club for players etc not pay for it they were not prepared to pay the money BA wanted with the debts that the club had.

I still firmly believe that DK will sell out long before we get to play at Falmer but only time will tell.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
I posted it slightly wrong in that they had £80m to spend on the club for players etc not pay for it they were not prepared to pay the money BA wanted with the debts that the club had.

I still firmly believe that DK will sell out long before we get to play at Falmer but only time will tell.

SLIGHTLY WRONG.....YOU POSTED £80 MILLION WAS THE FIGURE YOUR CONSORTIUM WAS PREPARED TO BUY THE CLUB FOR. HOW MUCH IS "SLIGHTLY WRONG"...£8 MILLION....£8 ...80 PEE.....

yOU REALLY ARE SOMETHING ELSE MATE

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A director of another club offered BA £1M plus take over the debts and was refused another man I know offered £6m total including the debts and at a breakfast meeting at The Savoy Hotel in London he was politely told to f..k off by BA.

The consortium of which I was involved made an offer which was rejected at this same meeting. The total money available to the consortium including purchasing the club was £80m not £80m for BA, GS & DB. Just to make that clear but as I have said that is all now water under the bridge and will not now happen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave...

BG feels resentment and bitterness that Dick Knight took over - he said as much a few months ago. BG is saying nothing new in this particular thread. His 'consortium' had got together, made some plans - all probably with the best intentions - but mainly with the view to installing Steve Foster as manager and running it as their show, regardless of the genuine deep shit the club was in.

BG is also wrong to say that the debts are more now than they were then - we are currently no more than £3m down, compared to our then £6m - £10m (depending on which day of the week Bellotti spoke his usual drivel). No point in making this claim however because BG doesn't believe the official end-of-year accounts the club publishes anyway. He believes the club are hiding something, but of course he can produce no evidence.

To call Dick Knight a opportunist (remember - all that he inherited were a club name, a playing squad with wages to pay, no home ground to play at, and a horde of thousands of angry customers) is utter bollocks. He took on the project and dragged it kicking and screaming into life. If he had no footballing ambition, I shudder to think what else other than the three promotions we would have had if he DID have ambition. If Dick is a opportunist, BG's consortium were a bunch of lazy layabouts, blessed with the fine art of talking the talk... By the sounds of things, they had their chance, and blew it.

As for believing anyone else could have got a stadium built anywhere else in Brighton by now, did he lapse into a coma during February - May this year? Did the outcome of the re-opened public inquiry prove nothing to him? Or does he have evidence of somewhere else which could or should have been chosen? No, it's the simple words of someone with little or no understanding of a planning process on this scale - in the FULL UP City of Brighton & Hove.

We KNOW DK doesn't have millions more to invest. We know we are still struggling. But, we are all prepared to back Dick Knight (quiet, Ernest) because, for better or worse, he has not - in the broad sense - let us down. I would rather have DK's stability than BG's reckless opportunism.

We all know that his consortium did not contain the expertise or the foresight to get us through this turmoil, otherwise their money would now be welcome at the Albion. His treachery is there for all to see.

BensGrandad said:
ANYBODY would have got planning permission for a ground somewhere in the Brighton area by now.

After a few months of sensible posting, you have now gone back to being a full-time annoying timewaster.

Utterly, utterly clueless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:

We all know that his consortium did not contain the expertise or the foresight to get us through this turmoil, otherwise their money would now be welcome at the Albion. His treachery is there for all to see.

As you do not know the proposed make up of that consortium you are saying something to which you have no knowledge and doing it just to try to ridicule me but unfortunately for you I will not take the bait and will not answer any more posts about this consortium which I have said is now dead and buried. The opportunity has passed by.

That does not mean that I am obliged to believe that DK is God with no faults and change my opinions of him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so why did you bring it up then if its dead and buried Brian?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
That does not mean that I am obliged to believe that DK is God with no faults and change my opinions of him.
Proposed make-up? So it never did properly form then?

No-one here believes he is 'God', but your opinions of him are based on bitterness and resentment. That is your problem, no-one else's.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here