Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Dawkins to arrest Pope Benedict.!!!!!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I agree, it's a mud slinging exercise no doubt. There's a lot wrong with the Catholic Church but there is with other Christians faiths as well. The biggest hypocrits I have ever met are Southern Baptists although Arab Muslems give them a run for their money.

However, there's a whole lot of Atheists and agnostics who are just as bad which people like to ignore under these circumstances.

Exactly.

My hope is that rather than just focus on the catholic church and its wrongs, all organisations are put under the same spotlight.

For example, how much do our governments actually do to stop our citizens from going overseas to poor nations and using the child sex trades over there.

Sod all is my take on that.

They take the same out of sight out of mind attitude which has seen the RC church end up in so much shit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess my point is that this isnt just a R/C church problem, it's an inherent problem within all of society and cover ups and protecting these types of people are going on in all sectors of the community.
What an absolute crock of SHIT.

You show us where else this sort of cover up is occurring.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What an absolute crock of SHIT.

You show us where else this sort of cover up is occurring.

Do you know where every single registered sexual predator lives in your county?

Can you find out that information?

Bet you can't.

You could have one living in your street and you'd not know.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Bet you can't.

But the police would know. In the case of the church they just moved rpiest to anothe rparish and they were free to do it again. Totally different.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Joking apart it's a fact that a lot of paedos are at it in the full knowledge of their families who cover it up. It's not unique to priests and the Catholic Church. Many victims wait for years, well into their adulthood before they feel that they can report their attackers.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Bet you can't.

And if they were beleived to be a 'practicing paedo' they would be arrested, prosecuted and if found guilty, jailed, yes?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And how many of these other organisations hold themselves up as the moral leaders of society?

Do the Catholic Church do that ? They have their opinions but they are a lot less vocal than many other faiths. Is this a fact or just your impression ? I might be a Catholic Church but I have heard Born Again Christians (for example) say far more stupid and ignorant things, they often sneer at the Catholics even though theyr worship the same god. Don't even go near the Mormons let alone the JWs.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And how many of these other organisations hold themselves up as the moral leaders of society?

The R/C church is only moral leaders to its own congregation.

When any of its clergy speak they speak only to their own followers.

England for hundreds of years held itself up as the moral and intellectual superior to half the world.

It actually implemented its own language and political systems in those places to ensure it was followed by the natives.

As did all the nations who colonised the world, regardless if those other nations wished to be colonised or not.

Even today the US and its allies take the same line.

Look at Iraq.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And if they were beleived to be a 'practicing paedo' they would be arrested, prosecuted and if found guilty, jailed, yes?

I would hope so yes.

But plenty of priests have been arrested and jailed.

The way people talk you'd think not one ever has been dealt with by the law.

But they have and rightly so.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've only just read through this debate. Is it me, or is Tyrone addressing us from an alternative dimension?

If I get this straight, the Catholic Church is above reprimand or criticism due to the fact that paedophilia is practised and then institutionally covered up by other organisations? And then there's the fact that because hardly anyone knew about these practises at the time means the problems and aftermath are not anyone else's business? And the point that not enough is being done in other organisations to eradicate child abuse should mean that the Church should not be targetted for such vilification?

I seriously hope I'm reading that wrong, because to make any kind of defence of the priests' behaviour based on that pile of f***ed up horseshit is worrying to say the least.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I've only just read through this debate. Is it me, or is Tyrone addressing us from an alternative dimension?

If I get this straight, the Catholic Church is above reprimand or criticism due to the fact that paedophilia is practised and then institutionally covered up by other organisations? And then there's the fact that because hardly anyone knew about these practises at the time means the problems and aftermath are not anyone else's business? And the point that not enough is being done in other organisations to eradicate child abuse should mean that the Church should not be targetted for such vilification?

I seriously hope I'm reading that wrong, because to make any kind of defence of the priests' behaviour based on that pile of f***ed up horseshit is worrying to say the least.

Considering i've stated many times that the guilty parties should be dealt with by the law like any others then yes I think you are reading it incorrectly.

Throw them in jail and thiow away the key as far as i'm concerned.

Non Catholics speak of the church as a tiered hierachy as if it all starts and begins with the Pope. When in fact to the majority its about the broader community of followers, not the clergy.

Just like the PM doesnt make your local community what it is, its the grass roots people who do.

And yes you are correct, dont target the whole church for villification, target the minority responsible. This has f*** all to do with the nun from Belgium who dedicated herself to her church and works in Africa to help those less fortunate than her.

Why slander her or those like ehr by saying all the church are responsible and by their silence approved of the cover up. Like she knew what was going on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Non Catholics speak of the church as a tiered hierachy as if it all starts and begins with the Pope.

But the pope hasn't always been the pope. It is the crimes he is accused of covering up earlier in his career that people are attacking him for.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And look what some of its senior representatives are accused of doing to some of that same congregation.

Morality comes in a pisspoor nowhere in comparison to deviancy, lust and abuse of trust.

Some.

Not the vast majority.

The moronic thing to do is take the actions of a few and assume they represent the majority.

Deviancy, lust, abuse of trust are human traits, been happening since the year dot and they will happen long after you and I are gone.

We just have to hope that those with decent morals trump those who don't.

And this is now the test for the R/C church.

Face up to these people and seek the truth and deal with it in accordance with the law even if it lays us bare.

I have great faith in the fact that there would be many clergymen disgusted with what has happened.

And it's them who will carry on the good work when those who are evil are behind bars.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But the pope hasn't always been the pope. It is the crimes he is accused of covering up earlier in his career that people are attacking him for.

Isn't it such in our society someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty?

Seems he's already been tried and judged by most without them knowing every single piece of information involved.

If he's guilty and the evidence is so overwhelming go and have him arrested then.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Isn't it such in our society someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty?

Seems he's already been tried and judged by most without them knowing every single piece of information involved.

If he's guilty and the evidence is so overwhelming go and have him arrested then.

TB- Isn't that what the thread's about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here