Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
US Seagull said:
No matter how insane?

You will notice the believers have said that they believe and not belittled the non-believers.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yorkie said:
You will notice the believers have said that they believe and not belittled the non-believers.

No but believers have been patronising and arrogant (you just have to accept god...blah, blah, blah). Believers will often try and force their views down peoples throats (especially over here).
There is a point where somebodies beliefs are beyond all comprehension and are no longer deserving of respect. If I told you I danced nightly with magic pixies through fields of giant marshmellows I wouldn't expect you to respect my beliefs.
I wasn't singling out anybody when I said no matter how insane. I was just making the statement that not everybodies views really do deserve respect (not that they themselves should not be respected). If somebody is clearly insane or clear unqualified to comment on a particular topic, their view isn't worth considering.

Last edited:

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
But then what God do you worship?

That's like saying you believe in Santa but don't celebrate Christmas.

Innit?

Why do I need to follow any religion to believe in God...........................
God came into my life some while ago, and any worshipping I might do is strictly between me and him................you don't need to go to church or anywhere else for that matter to talk to God.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
US Seagull said:
No but believers have been patronising and arrogant (you just have to accept god...blah, blah, blah). Believers will often try and force their views down peoples throats (especially over here).
There is a point where somebodies beliefs are beyond all comprehension and are no longer deserving of respect. If I told you I danced nightly with magic pixies through fields of giant marshmellows I wouldn't expect you to respect my beliefs.
I wasn't singling out anybody when I said no matter how insane. I was just making the statement that not everybodies views really do deserve respect (not that they themselves should not be respected). If somebody is clearly insane or clear unqualified to comment on a particular topic, their view isn't worth considering.

But you know, if 100 million people worldwide reckoned that dancing with magic pixies was important enough to them to make a stand about it, I would be forced to wonder whether perhaps there was something in it I simply couldn't yet see.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
US Seagull said:

I was talking about this thread.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not religious but religion has its pros and cons.

People say that religion leads to wars, but there would still be wars without religion. Religion is used as a tool to serve somebody's agenda, just like nationalism. Does that mean being patriotic is bad as well? People use football as an excuse to behave violently against others, does that make football bad?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Locky said:
Now that is patronising and arrogant......................at least respect other peoples views :angry:

You miss the point Locky, here we have an example of me seeking 'The Lord' and where was he ? Thing is, why do people make a big deal of the miracles that are allegedly performed and then the same people skim over the multitude of tragedies that happen. Apparently, according to the faithful that's 'God's Will'.

Have an answer to everything don't they ? That kind of arguement carries no weight with those of us in the real world.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bhaexpress said:
You miss the point Locky, here we have an example of me seeking 'The Lord' and where was he ? Thing is, why do people make a big deal of the miracles that are allegedly performed and then the same people skim over the multitude of tragedies that happen. Apparently, according to the faithful that's 'God's Will'.

I have never skimmed over any tragedy. I prayed for my half brother to live in 1980 when he died aged 21. He still died and I found that very hard to accept.
I found my faith comforted me rather than blame God for it.

Dandyman

In London village.
Yorkie said:
Jesus is the only one who said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No-one come to the Father except through me.'
John 14:6

No other religious leader eg Moses or Mohammed has made that claim.

There is no god, but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger ?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:

Risk of generalisation there - theres a fair few "protagonists" here, and a fair number of "non-believers" who are making genuine points and asking real questions (we're a fair way short of the reformation here folks!).

I consider myself pretty up to speed on the religion front, and I have made the conscious choice that I think its all rubbish. Im not sure any have got it spot on yet! But at the same time, I recognise the human nature and need to have beliefs. And therefore, everyone has the right to have those beliefs.

Quite simply, what is one persons act of god, is anothers fluke.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dandyman said:
There is no god, but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger ?

Being a messenger is a vast difference from saying the way the truth and the life

That very claim excludes others. By making that statement Jesus knew he was going to be arrested and killed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yorkie said:
Being a messenger is a vast difference from saying the way the truth and the life

That very claim excludes others. By making that statement Jesus knew he was going to be arrested and killed.

What did he do that for? Couldn't he just have preached to a few more punters and then proclaimed that statement on his deathbed? Everyone's a winner.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Unfortunately the word Religion always throw up long arguments as it were ( note now page 9 )

Each to your own i say, whatever does it for you is fine by me.
As long as people dont force there beliefs on you then i have no problem.

I Couldnt give a toss what peoples opinions are, as long as there nice to me I will be nice in return.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Simster said:
What did he do that for? Couldn't he just have preached to a few more punters and then proclaimed that statement on his deathbed? Everyone's a winner.

Because the whole idea of his life was to be killed and punished for sins. That is why the Resurrection is such an essential part of the Christian faith.
Jesus beat death and so makes it possible for me to live.

(please forgive me for preaching. I will only do it if asked)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yorkie, sorry but you're preaching to the unconvertable.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
I have never skimmed over any tragedy. I prayed for my half brother to live in 1980 when he died aged 21. He still died and I found that very hard to accept.
I found my faith comforted me rather than blame God for it.

My cousin died just under a year ago. His father is a Priest and their whole family is very religious. When he went to university he had a conflict of faith and stopped going to church for the first time in his life, he then contracted Leukemia. After a few weeks of the illness and having a lot of time to think and re-found his faith, during the next few weeks as his condition worsened he became more and more relaxed with what was going to happen to him and this comforted the whole family. When he finally passed away he quite clearly believed that he would see us all again and he didn't leave us in sadness but in happiness that he was indeed 'going to a better place'

This made me think whether this whole religion lark could actually be pretty good stuff but it still didn't quite grab me but as long as people believe and it helps them through the ups and downs that life contains then that's fine by me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here