• Yes - Religion is an easy excuse for violence

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Abstaining - It's not for ME to say

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
OK lets suppose just for one minute that there is a God.
Now God is sitting up there, looking down thinking I must set a few rules for my children as they seem to be going astray.
Does he send one guy to do this.............No with the world being such a big place and TV, radio etc having not been invented yet he sends a few...................Jesus, Mohamed, etc.
If you look at what most religions say its basically the same thing........don't Kill....don't shag your mates misses, and so on.
Unfortunately mankind is very weak....and very tribal in nature.
Religions were formed and it becomes war with other religions.................just look at football fans......its much the same.
Mankind then starts breaking the very rules it has been set.

Like I have said in a previous posting I do believe in God, but not in any one religion.................................All I am sure of is that we should live our lives the best we can, and enjoy every second of it.
When you die and go to the afterlife it will matter not a jot if you have believed in god or not..................you will not be condemed to hell or any other such place, the only person you will answer too for your sins will be yourself.
This is an arguement I really can't lose because if there is an afterlife I will be saying to all you non believers "see told ya"
and if I am wrong (which I know for a fact I am not ) and when you die you die, then there can be none of you to say the same to me.

I could write an essay on this subject and my beliefs, but would not want any of you to think for one minute I was preeching, so will stop now.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Locky said:
OK lets suppose just for one minute that there is a God.
Now God is sitting up there, looking down thinking I must set a few rules for my children as they seem to be going astray.
Does he send one guy to do this.............No with the world being such a big place and TV, radio etc having not been invented yet he sends a few...................Jesus, Mohamed, etc.

Now here is where things start getting arrogant. You are supposing that you have the wisdom to determind what god would think and do. You start off with supposing there is a god, but you don't define what the term means. You then go and attribute very humanlike aspects to your god and then try and claim that your understanding of other humans gives you insight into god.
If you want to claim that you believe that a god exists and claim that I can't prove otherwise, then I'll have to say that you can believe what you want. But then you start assigning all kinds of attributes to your god and I say you need to justify how you know that god has these properties. Just saying it seems right isn't an intellectually statsifying answer.

Locky said:
Like I have said in a previous posting I do believe in God, but not in any one religion.................................All I am sure of is that we should live our lives the best we can, and enjoy every second of it.

I'll drink to that :drink:

Locky said:
When you die and go to the afterlife it will matter not a jot if you have believed in god or not..................you will not be condemed to hell or any other such place, the only person you will answer too for your sins will be yourself.
This is an arguement I really can't lose because if there is an afterlife I will be saying to all you non believers "see told ya"
and if I am wrong (which I know for a fact I am not ) and when you die you die, then there can be none of you to say the same to me.

Now you have your own set of beliefs here that seem mostly harmless, but you have no basis for them other than the fact that they make you feel good about yourself. I'm sorry but that's not enough for some of us. I can create any number of wild fanstasies that make me feel better about myself and my position in the universe, but without any basis in fact they are nothing but an psychological indulence and I like to think I have more disciple than that.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
US Seagull said:
Now here is where things start getting arrogant. You are supposing that you have the wisdom to determind what god would think and do. You start off with supposing there is a god, but you don't define what the term means. You then go and attribute very humanlike aspects to your god and then try and claim that your understanding of other humans gives you insight into god.
If you want to claim that you believe that a god exists and claim that I can't prove otherwise, then I'll have to say that you can believe what you want. But then you start assigning all kinds of attributes to your god and I say you need to justify how you know that god has these properties. Just saying it seems right isn't an intellectually statsifying answer.

Actually I can't disagree with you, as the first part of my posting was a theory, and not necessarily my beliefs.
however I did not make this clear so appologise.

US Seagull said:

Now you have your own set of beliefs here that seem mostly harmless, but you have no basis for them other than the fact that they make you feel good about yourself. I'm sorry but that's not enough for some of us. I can create any number of wild fanstasies that make me feel better about myself and my position in the universe, but without any basis in fact they are nothing but an psychological indulence and I like to think I have more disciple than that.

I have a very good basis for my beliefs, but felt it not appropriate to go into them on this site.
If I were to write the essay I mentioned at the end of my posting you would immediately accuse me of preeching and I have no wish to do that.
Personally I don't care what you or anyone else believes, thats up to you, and I would certainly not try to convert you to my way of thinking.
However You do show a very narrow minded approach to this subject, and because of your disciplined mind do not open it to what might be.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
US Seagull said:
Meaningless jibberish. Electricity exists, it has measurable and observable effects in the real world.

God exists .... and has a measurable and observable effect in the real world.

Maybe the analogy I used wasn't perfect, what it was trying to explain is that although you can't see God (as most would expect to see him/her/it) or see, or taste or smell ... you can feel God just like you can feel electricity if you put your fingers in an electrical socket. God flows through you like electricity and lights up your life.
When God really entered my life I felt alive for the first time (even though I was 31 at the time) I felt electrified but also warm and safe. I have felt warm and safe ever since - even when surrounded by 2,000 Palace fans!!!!!!
But I ain't gonna preach cos it's not my way. I believe we all find our God in our own time.

Either you got Faith or you got unbelief - there ain't no neutral ground.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the Left Wing said:

Maybe the analogy I used wasn't perfect, what it was trying to explain is that although you can't see God (as most would expect to see him/her/it) or see, or taste or smell ... you can feel God just like you can feel electricity if you put your fingers in an electrical socket. God flows through you like electricity and lights up your life.
When God really entered my life I felt alive for the first time (even though I was 31 at the time) I felt electrified but also warm and safe. I have felt warm and safe ever since - even when surrounded by 2,000 Palace fans!!!!!!
But I ain't gonna preach cos it's not my way. I believe we all find our God in our own time.

Sorry but that's complete and utter bollocks. By your notion I can believe in little green men as my saviour as 've 'felt' them too.

Utter crap.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Stop it with the Bob Dylan quotes!

Or I'll get you back with his best lyrics ever:

"My so-called friends have fallen under a spell.
They look me squarely in the eye and they say, "All is well."
Can they imagine the darkness that will fall from on high
When men will beg God to kill them and they won't be able to die?"

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
ben andrews girlfriend said:
you cant call it "bollocks" jsut because you dont believe in it bhaexpress

The Mile Oak mafia scores again!!!!

Reckon we should all convene at the next match which is heading for a 0-0 draw and begin this deabte for real .... how to liven up the stand!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Duncan H said:
Stop it with the Bob Dylan quotes!

Or I'll get you back with his best lyrics ever:

"My so-called friends have fallen under a spell.
They look me squarely in the eye and they say, "All is well."
Can they imagine the darkness that will fall from on high
When men will beg God to kill them and they won't be able to die?"

"Sister let me tell ya, bout a vision that I saw
You were drawing water for your husband
You were sufferin' under the law
You were telling him about Buddha,
You were telling him bout Mohammed in one breath
You never mentioned one time, the man who came
And died a criminal's death!
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Actually I think he can. If something is completely contrary to all observable evidence, then I think we have a right to label it as bollocks until new evidence is presented.

Originally posted by On the Left Wing

This is clearly bollocks. I challenge you to present the evidence of gods supposed measurable and observable effects. If such evidence existed then we wouldn't be having this debate.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
On the Left Wing: Though I am a confirmed atheist, I do like Bob's religious songs. Do you know "Jokerman"?:

"Well the rifleman's stalkin' the sick an' the lame
Preacherman seeks the same
Who'll get there first is uncertain..."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Okay, so why have mosyt of us not 'felt' this God ? It's the arrogant notion that somebody has 'felt' God that gets me. Either that or the poster did too much acid in his youth.

Whatever, general concensus of opinion is that it's still bollox.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bhaexpress said:
Okay, so why have mosyt of us not 'felt' this God ? It's the arrogant notion that somebody has 'felt' God that gets me. Either that or the poster did too much acid in his youth.

Whatever, general concensus of opinion is that it's still bollox.

You know, I've never felt drunk. But I still believe you can get drunk. It just hasn't happened to me yet.

And how come you think you can speak for the general concensus? Talk about arrogant!! You better not mention that opinion in some parts of your desired home-to-be.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:
You know, I've never felt drunk. But I still believe you can get drunk. It just hasn't happened to me yet.

And how come you think you can speak for the general concensus? Talk about arrogant!! You better not mention that opinion in some parts of your desired home-to-be.

Juan old chap, that's not arrogance but fact. If you look at this thread tyou'll see that you're in the minority. Still, since when did a 'believer' deal with the facts ?

Anyway, on another note, why do you believe in your God instead of Allah or Budda ? Have you not felt them or something ?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
bhaexpress said:
Juan old chap, that's not arrogance but fact. If you look at this thread tyou'll see that you're in the minority. Still, since when did a 'believer' deal with the facts ?

Anyway, on another note, why do you believe in your God instead of Allah or Budda ? Have you not felt them or something ?

Fact???? I suppose it depend if you are talking about the majority worldwide or on NSC?

Why does the fact that I and many others believe in God upset so many people? What harm do our beliefs do to people?

Some people will claim that it has led to loads of violence etc but the number of christians (or indeed any other religion) that have taken part in any of this violence is a tiny tiny minority and tarring everyone with the same brush is like saying all football fans are hooligans - Falmer opponents may use this arguement but as we all know it is bollocks.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bhaexpress said:

You have a funny idea of 'facts,' old boy. There are currently 1,949 members of NSC, of which a grand total of 28 have voted Yes. 42 have voted other than Yes. That still leaves almost 1,900 people whose 'general concensus' you have no authority to guess at.

And yes, I do feel something for Allah! I also believe that Buddhism is a reflection of God also and have absolute respect for both. Satisfied?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yawn, the fact that most haven't voted means that they don't actually believe old boy !

Damn, you got that good old Bible belt thing going on up there too ?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
bhaexpress said:
Yawn, the fact that most haven't voted means that they don't actually believe old boy !

Damn, you got that good old Bible belt thing going on up there too ?

By that logic the people who didn't vote in the referendum with regards to Falmer don't want it - in which case we are screwed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here