• Yes - Religion is an easy excuse for violence

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Abstaining - It's not for ME to say

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
You can't trust the poll anyway. I'm sure religion isn't correct, but I voted "no" because of the question.

Maybe it would be better to ask a more general question, like:

"Do you believe there is a spiritual side to life"

Which I think many people will answer yes (as we all have our own definition of "spiritual").

To get a clear-cut answer you could ask:

"Do you believe in God?"

Which might be more like 50/50. Or you could ask:

"Do you believe that Jesus is the Christ, and the only route to salvation lies through Him?"

In which case I think the "no"s would win. It's all a matter of degrees with these things.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately it would be somewhat difficult to ban it now. However we'd all be better off if no one had ever dreamed up the idea. And there would have been about a zillion less deaths in the world.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Raphael Meade said:
so in what order would people rate the evilest religions?

opinions people, come on...

Not too sure about the word "evilest"??? But I get your drift.

1st equal
Christianity in all its forms.
Islam.
Judaism
Hinduism

Not sure whether Buddism is evil, but probably is.

Can't think of any others...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
No, sorry Yorkie, you just think that this image 'God' as you like to call him has helped you. There's no tangable proof of any enity be it 'God', 'Allah' or any other mythical diety. It just makes your life more convenient to have this fabled being.

The tragedy is that all the followers of of any religion have to wait until they die to find out that they're been duped.

Well said, bha express. Exactly to the point.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Juan Albion said:
Come on then,goldstone, tell us all which parts of these religions contribute more to the instability of this planet than the ignorance and intolerance displayed in this thread...

Have to say I'm with you on that Juan. I'm an Agnostic but I do have faith in human nature and that there are things beyond our human comprehension, call it God if you like.
To simply dismiss religion as being at the root of everything bad and ignore the good also done in it's name, and the strength it gives it's believers is silly. There is a huge difference between people who use organised religion to commit and justify dreadful acts and the many millions who quietly go about their faith.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
But it's become clear to me over time, there's only one way to believe, there's only one solid way - the Truth and the Life. It took me a long time to figure that out, but finally it became clear to me. I hope it doesn't take you as long. I do truly believe that Jesus is going to return to this world and set up new kingdom. I know it's not the kind of thing you read it in the newspapers, but I believe that it's the truth!

Oh, grow up.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:
Come on then,goldstone, tell us all which parts of these religions contribute more to the instability of this planet than the ignorance and intolerance displayed in this thread...

Not quite sure I fully understand the question.

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, millions of deaths have been directly attributed to religious groups fighting or attacking each other. Burning at stakes; throwing to lions; genocide; wars ....

On the other hand I truly do not believe anyone on this board (except maybe the believers among you!), however ignorant, is likely to go out and kill another human being or incite anyone else to do so.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:
That's exactly the kind of attitude that starts wars. Well done.

So me telling someone with a strongly held religious belief to grow up is likely to start a war?

Well it's not me who's going to start it so it must be the believers. Sounds like a lack of tolerance there.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
goldstone said:
So me telling someone with a strongly held religious belief to grow up is likely to start a war?

Well it's not me who's going to start it so it must be the believers. Sounds like a lack of tolerance there.

Yes, it is that kind of patronising, arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful attitude towards others that starts wars, not your simplistic view of religions. Just how much do you actually know about Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism etc? I'm still waiting for you to tell us which part of the teachings of those religions is responsible for "millions of deaths."

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
bhaexpress said:
Sorry but that's complete and utter bollocks. By your notion I can believe in little green men as my saviour as 've 'felt' them too.

Utter crap.

Can I ask you how you think the world began mate? ???

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Religion causes lots of trouble in the world not sure what group is right or wrong,no real opinion.Rather follow my religion BHA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here